Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 08:36 AM
Premium Member

Bangaii Cardinals

This is a page from a LFS that opened up about 45 mins from me. I was wondering if anyone else has heard about the bangaii cardinals being put on the endagered species list.

http://www.seasave.net/2029835.html
Old 12/16/2007, 09:02 AM
--sister of geek--

Yes. They are not listed by CITES, which would actually restrict or prohibit their export, but they have been listed on the IUCN Red List. So some fish stores are, out of good conscience, not buying them any more, to relieve the pressure on the wild population. I read an article by Frank Marini recently which stated that the natural population is between 1 and 2 million fish, and they are harvesting up to 900,000 fish per year. Staggering.

On the good side, they are easy to breed, so we may see more captive bred fish soon.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:45 AM
------------

One of my LFS's carries these all the time.

They have a few other suspect species in stock. I've considered saying something...
Old 12/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Our man in the East

A lot of Bangaiis are tank bred so its worth asking your LFS where they are sourced if they have them in stock. There are plentiful tank bred Bangaiis here in Thailand.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BangkokMatt
A lot of Bangaiis are tank bred so its worth asking your LFS where they are sourced if they have them in stock. There are plentiful tank bred Bangaiis here in Thailand.
From what I understand they are fairly easy to breed, but not many are yet...
Old 12/16/2007, 10:12 PM
--sister of geek--

Not many here in the states are aquacultured yet. At this point it is not economical for retailers to buy aquacultured stock unless they sell them as such (and charge accordingly). The imported fish are unfortunately still much less expensive than aquacultured, even factoring in losses.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

I breed them (hobby level) and yes they do breed in captivity well but its the raising them to a sellable size that is labor intensive and almost not worth it. Very cool fish mind you and a great addition to any ones tank.... nocturnal by nature so it gives you something to look at during the twilight hours when the moon lights are on. Those yearly harvest numbers are startling. I am glad to see they have at least got on someone's list for conservation.

Located in or around Victoria BC ? say Hi