Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2001, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Hi,
I am a doctoral student from New York with an interest in comparative psychology. Recently my colleagues and I developed some intriguing questions pertaining to octopus intelligence. We came up with some simple experiments that would look at various ways in which octopuses camouflage. ( I wont bother you with details of the experiment here, however I would love to describe some of our ideas to anyone who is interested).
Despite our expertise in conducting research with human and animal subjects we’ve never actually done anything with octopuses—hence I would appreciate some help with the basics…

The first thing Id like to do is to buy an octopus, particularly the type that can change color in response to a change in the environment. I did some research and it looks like O. vulgarus is a good species to go with. It has 19+ chromatic components which should make for a wide array of color patterns, and its also relatively easy to buy... Is this right?

Also, being completely new to most things marine, I need to know the kind of a tank O. volgarus needs. Any and all information about the specific tank and the environment that would be optimal for O volgarus would be greatly appreciated. ( there really is no such thing as too much detail here, since I know very little about octopuses and tanks)
Looking forward to your responses,
Leib

Old 04/30/2001, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

O. vulgaris is usually the easiest to obtain, but they are not always the octopus you think you are going to get (Many collectors and distibuters are not really aware of the exact species of octo. they have got). The best place to find info(and also contact a REALLY EXPERIENCED person is with cephsource. While I'm not sure if they are still breeding their stock, I think the site is still up and has a very good background and general info on husbandry.
You will need a lot of space for this experiement, these guys cant be housed together, and do get reasoanble size.
Good Luck with this and I hope this helps a bit. Let us Know what you find out!
Old 04/30/2001, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

To do it right you are going to need to do alot of research. These guys have specific requirements. Basic marine / reef tank experience is an essential and there is alot to learn before one should even attempt to create a dedicated octopus tank.

Once you have marine / reef knowledge then here's some specifics on octopus:

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/index.html
http://www.sealifeaquarium.com/cephsource/

Cepsource is basically defunct, but the information is helpful.