Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 12:44 PM
party like it's 1499

Smile somewhere between 75-100 new tank mates!

as i walked pass the tank on my way out the door at about 4:15 this morning, i noticed that the front glass had little white specks all over it, each one of them shining under the moon lights. upon closer inspection i was elated to find about 75 tiny little snails crawling all over the glass! this is the first spawning of any sort that my tank has had, so i'm pretty pumped.

will these little guys make it? do i need to do anything special to ensure their survival, other than give them away when they're big enough?

i'll try to take pics sometime soon, but they aren't out during the day so i don't know if i'll get any quality shots.

cigars on me today!
Old 06/30/2007, 12:50 PM
HELP SLOW

Congrats. Many will survive. Let your glass get a 'lil dirty so they have plenty to eat.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 06/30/2007, 12:52 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

LOL! Hey I had snails in my FW tank, thought it was a good thing, untill I had atleast 500 snails. the didnt get very big about the size of a drop of water, some got bigger but not by much. Some of them might make it, but some wont! This is a good thing untill you start having millions of snails!
Old 06/30/2007, 12:55 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentanner11
LOL! Hey I had snails in my FW tank, thought it was a good thing, untill I had atleast 500 snails. the didnt get very big about the size of a drop of water, some got bigger but not by much. Some of them might make it, but some wont! This is a good thing untill you start having millions of snails!
Saltwater snails aren't as...prolific...as freshwater ones. Very few types of saltwater snails reproduce easily in captivity.

And, Congrats Brett!! What type, any idea yet?
Old 06/30/2007, 01:02 PM
party like it's 1499

at this point i believe the are astrea snails (just going by the odds), but the jury is still out on that. we'll give it a week or two and then see.
Old 06/30/2007, 01:26 PM
HELP SLOW

My guess is stometella.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 06/30/2007, 01:42 PM
party like it's 1499

to my knowledge, i've never put a stometella snail into my tank. that doesn't mean that a couple didn't get in there under false id., or as hitchhikers at some point along the way. from what i recall, i have astrea, cerith, and nessarius(sp.?) snails.

are there any tips for getting an i.d. on these guys?
Old 06/30/2007, 01:50 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jenn_jeffery
Saltwater snails aren't as...prolific...as freshwater ones. Very few types of saltwater snails reproduce easily in captivity.

And, Congrats Brett!! What type, any idea yet?

Didnt know that!
Congrats!!!
Old 06/30/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

i wish i could get mine to hatch and mature but my desjardinii tang loves to eat them! oh well at least he is happy lol!
Old 06/30/2007, 03:44 PM
Zookeeper

I had a problem with freashwater snails. Then I bought some clown loaches. Dinnertime! No more snail issues.

Congrats on your wanted babies.
Old 06/30/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

My snails are constantly reproducing. I got to bed and an hour later the glass is crawling with them. Little white ones with brickish colored spots.
Old 06/30/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

my purple banded trochus snails breed quite often, I have alot of babies in my fuge and they grow pretty fast.
Old 06/30/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Question Odd coincidence?

The same thing happened in Andrew's tank Thursday night. They look like tiny round snail like things but mine look like they might have tiny "feathers" of some sort, could it be the same thing? Could it be seasonal??
Old 06/30/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Cool!!
My snails lay eggs on a regular basis but as far as I can tell none have hatched. Sometimes they do this mass egg laying all the same night. Maybe there is hope that they may hatch one of these times.
Frizz
Old 07/01/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

my snails have babys about every 2 weeks or so after about a year every time i pick up a rock or a frag a few baby snails fall off i started looking at my tank very very closely and there is tons of baby snails every where is great but my herits eat a few i have seen
Old 07/01/2007, 11:44 AM
Ruger dog

You guys are probably looking at colonista snails they look like tiny turbos but they stay small.
Old 07/01/2007, 07:40 PM
Industry Professional

Re: Odd coincidence?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheScubaManiac
The same thing happened in Andrew's tank Thursday night. They look like tiny round snail like things but mine look like they might have tiny "feathers" of some sort, could it be the same thing? Could it be seasonal??
Those are spirorbid worms.

I speak for myself and no one else.