Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/07/2003, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Question Aquaspacelight Users

I just received my 2x250 with PC's aquaspacelight. I had a canopy with 2 Hamilton 175 Mh and one 96 W PC. I expected to have been blown away with the Spacelight but quite frankly I haven't. They have just about the same amount of shimmer line intensity and it seems like the same lighting. Should I just wait and let them burn for a couple of days or was I just expecting too much? Thanks
Old 04/07/2003, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

I have the same Aquaspacelight as yours on my tank, and it is incredibly bright. I just visited someone who has a 400w 10k bulb and the Aquaspacelight blows it away. My last light set-up was 2x175w Hamilton 14k bulbs run on IceCap ballasts. Not even a close comparison.

Last Friday, I was at a wholesaler's place who had something like 40 Aquaspacelights hanging, and a bunch of 400w fixtures and the Aquaspacelights were totally brighter.

Maybe yours needs to burn in or something. I do know that my light was more blue/white a day or so later.
Old 04/07/2003, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

You're probably right i just have to let it burn for a couple of days. I have read that it's the most intense light out there and I just expected to be blown away. A local Lfs has the 2x150 version on a 110G tank and it looks AWESOME. Thanks for your quick reply though.
Old 04/07/2003, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

i also have the 2-150 version and i am blown away. Its hard to look at the tank without hurting your eyes. Maybe yours needs to burn in. Mine were dull in like the first 10 seconds. 5 minutes later it was so bright my brother seen it from outside and complained. It was like a nuclear silo in the house!!! You will love the light.
Old 04/07/2003, 02:35 PM
refeeR daM

Do you have a canopy over it?
Old 04/07/2003, 03:08 PM

I have the Aquaspacelight 3 -250 and its BRIGHT!! I havent had it on longer than 1 hour.. since I am still building my tank. Mine also lit up the whole house!!! Even upstairs!! you could see it from the outside at night.. our house glows compared to everyone elses! I have pics in my gallery I think.. if not.. I can send you some
Old 04/07/2003, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

One other thing, I noticed a smell of burning rubber. My tank is not set up yet. I was just testing it out. I left it on for like 3 hours or so and i started smelling burning rubber so i shut it off and put it away. Other than that, it is super bright. I have no canopy.
Old 04/07/2003, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

I might be guessing at this, but there might be some kind of film on the metal housing that "burns off" when first used. Kind of like your oven? I can't remember if mine did that at first or not. Certainly you should see no smoke. And, if it literally smells like burning rubber, then something's up.
Old 04/07/2003, 07:09 PM
Moderator Clone

No, my AquaSpaceLight smelled "hot" for almost a week. I wouldn't describe it as burning rubber, but definitely hot rubber....

Kevin
Old 04/07/2003, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

hmmm. I have a 3x250 with actinics and it lights up the whole neighborhood.

I never smelled anything hot either.

Give it some time, but man those bulbs are bright.
Old 04/07/2003, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Slightly changing the subject (sorry Uncle Luke), but does everyone's SPS color up well (blue/purple in particular) with the Aquaspacelight 250w?

I had a couple of corals bleach *very slowly* over the course of over a month. I've never seen such a slow bleach. These frags were from a 300 gallon tank with 5x400w 10k SE bulbs. I actually think the Aquaspacelights were too much for them.

I just recently bought a bluish frag and will see how it does in terms of keeping its fantastic color. I've got the lights 11" above the waterline.
Old 04/07/2003, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DT's_Reef
Slightly changing the subject (sorry Uncle Luke), but does everyone's SPS color up well (blue/purple in particular) with the Aquaspacelight 250w?

I had a couple of corals bleach *very slowly* over the course of over a month. I've never seen such a slow bleach. These frags were from a 300 gallon tank with 5x400w 10k SE bulbs. I actually think the Aquaspacelights were too much for them.

I just recently bought a bluish frag and will see how it does in terms of keeping its fantastic color. I've got the lights 11" above the waterline.
You probably should of acclimated them slower. The 250 is brighter than the 400 believe it or not. You did bleach them by putting more light on them.
Kevin,
I dont know if i can describe it as burning rubber but the smell did smell at least like hot rubber. There was no smoke at all but the smell did consume the room it was in. I heard of them burning in and giving off the smell of burning rubber so i kind of expected it. Did the smell go away and how long? I think it is normal.
Alex
Old 04/07/2003, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

where da hell do u get these?how much are they?
Old 04/07/2003, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

I got mine from a former member on RC for a awesomely good price.
Old 04/07/2003, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

customaquatics.com has them. That is where I purchased from.

Also Champion Lighting is carrying them.
Old 04/07/2003, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for your quick replys. I will wait a couple of days and see if it's made an improvement. Oh by the way, the light smells really nasty initially, i'm sure that'll go away soon... Thanks again everyone!
Old 04/07/2003, 11:24 PM
Moved On

My aquaspacelight is the same as yours and i went from 2x250 mh's and I was blown away,I don't know what could be wrong with yours because you should not have to wait a few days maybe 15 mins.Also I got that nasty smell on mine at first too.It goes away though.I also get great color from my acro's.One thing I should say though is there is one or two problem's that my friend and I have noticed(he own's a lfs)is that after shipping the connections inside the hood need to be checked and tightened because we have found alot of the lights he sold to have loose connections inside so check it out if you can.The other is that because of the intense heat and weight of the unit the pc's start to melt over time.What some of us have done is take the unit apart and remove the ballasts to a remote location Ice cap will also do this for you I have heard but this makes the unit much easier to maneuver and work with being that it will decrease the weight by about 50 pounds.But overall I think they are great lights.
Old 04/08/2003, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Anyone have pictures of their SPS after having an Aquaspacelight for a few months or so?
Old 04/08/2003, 10:59 PM
Moved On

Here's one or two.
Old 04/09/2003, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Deuce, they didn't show up. Please try again. Thanks.
Old 04/09/2003, 12:45 PM
Super Hero

My 450 is lit with AB Spacelights combined with 400W Radiums. Pics in this thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=171912

Don't forget your towel!

( \ / )
(O.o)
( >< )
/_|_\
Copy the bunny into your signature to help him achieve world domination.