Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2003, 07:04 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

fish for 120 sps tank

I am looking for recomendations for a 120g sps set up. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 09/03/2003, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I like the springeri dottyback-- tough little black&blue dotty that stays small and lives in SPS in nature. Mine loves my monti. cap. Stay away from angles & butterflies(w/acception to copper band). Tangs and various snails are a must to keep the algae back, because of the high lighting needs. Clown gobies have been know to nip at polyps even thow they live in SPS. I'm in your area we should talk sometime, I'll probably be going down to Tropicorium sunday afternoon. I also have SPS frags to trade or sell. Brandon
Old 09/04/2003, 01:56 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

big or small

Its about what u r looking for, if you are looking for big, active fish which just swims and dont care about the corals tang is a nice fish, if u are looking for a big fish which is not active swimmer, marine betta or bgi clowns is fine, if u are looking for small fish mandarin, goby, blennie, dottybacks, grammas, acessors...

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 09/05/2003, 01:10 PM
Insane Reefer

A 120 may seem larger, however when you think rock placement and the long term growth of the various coral heads, you will conclude that there is very little open room for swimming.

An empty 120 is a bit small for any tang. With proper care and balance algae is not a problem.

I run 510watts above a little 37gal cube of mainly SPS. I have three fish.

1. Flameback Angel
2. Purple Firefish
3. False Percula

I feed my tank the equivalent of two frozen cubes a day. I have no skimmer, and do not conduct water changes. I do not have any algae (except coralline and sea grass, Thallisius).

I made a list of fish that remained below a certain size. I placed them in orders by colors.
Since I run a DSB for filtration I eliminated any fish that may hinder its effectiveness.
I then picked the three most compatible for the list I have above.

Planning is the key. If you stick with fish under 4''s you will still have an excellent selection of fish to choose from.

Take care,
Ed
Old 09/05/2003, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Yah...it really has to do with the types of fish you're interested in.
Please specify.