Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/28/2003, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Any experiences with Big Al's Online store?

Greetings all on RC. Was browsing around for a protein skimmer, (as initially we were going with a refugium first and skimmer afterwards, but now we are planning on reversing that idea) and found some on Big Al's Online store. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them? We are also looking at AquaC, LifeReef and possibly ER. The questions that we had regarding last three companies were answered by previous posts so thanks to all that shared their experiences and knowledge on RC.

Rhianna
Old 04/28/2003, 09:34 AM
Huh???

Big Als is very good online store.....very customer oriented. I have ordered from them several times and the one time I did have a problem (late shipment), they were all over it, emailing me and calling me to update me. Do a search for "bigals" and you will find some that other people have had similar experiences with Big Als

They have great prices, and if you can find it for cheaper, they will beat that price by 5%
Old 04/28/2003, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Capt. Insano! Will do the search for Big Als.
Old 04/28/2003, 12:17 PM
Loan Shark Willy

i have had great experiences with big al's. however, all that i have ever bought from them were small items, like nets, carbon, etc.

they have good prices and ship out orders quickly.
Old 04/28/2003, 01:43 PM
Over budget Reefer

I ordered from them once when my regular online stores were out of what I needed. (fishfeeder)

good service and on time delivery. I would order more from them if they were a RC sponsor

HTH
Allen
Old 04/28/2003, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone that replied! We're on a tight budget (finding out that LR and corals for our what started out as a FO to a FOWLR tank is a heck more expensive than what was originally intended for the tank - like that never happens and we need to get a protein skimmer. Found a SeaClone at Big Al's that is $40-60 less than our LFS. Later on we plan on upgrading and also adding a refugium, but for now the SeaClone 1500 is our only option. From what I've seen and I also talked to them today, we're going to order from them.
Old 04/28/2003, 05:53 PM
Over budget Reefer

do not buy the seaclone!!!!!

you will be wasting your money. just do more water changes untill you can buy a decent skimmer.

dont take my word for it though, click onthe search button towards the top of this page. put in seaclone and you will understandhow bad these things are. there are modifications you can make to one by cutting parts of it up and such that upgrade it to a poor skimmer though

if you need a cheap skimmer there are airstone skimmers that do a much better job that dont cost more.

personaly I would do weekly water changes untill you can get a good one.

HTH
Allen
Old 04/28/2003, 06:20 PM
Over budget Reefer

here is another cheap skimmer I DONT KNOW HOW WELL THIS ONE WORKS. However there is as least a chance that this one will work

http://www.fishsupply.com/cgi-bin/f2...ZZ/SSPWB-10075

Allen
Old 04/30/2003, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks "alittletank" for your input. We will take it into consideration before we buy one. We've had some good feedback as well, regarding SeaClone skimmers, but again some mixed reviews.

Rhianna
Old 04/30/2003, 08:20 PM
Over budget Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhianna McDougal
. We've had some good feedback as well, regarding SeaClone skimmers,
really!?

I have yet to see anyone happy with them. My time spent with one was anything but mixed

I dont get very fired up about things in this hobby except for things that rip off the hobbyist. things like the seaclone make my blood boil
Old 04/30/2003, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

ALittletank, could you please tell me your experience with the SeaClone? At least that way I can ascertain why you don't care for them.

Thanks,

Rhianna
Old 04/30/2003, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
ALittletank, could you please tell me your experience with the SeaClone? At least that way I can ascertain why you don't care for them.

Thanks,

Rhianna

I don't know but not many folks likes the SeaClone.
here is a search for it .
http://reefcentral.com/forums/search...der=descending
Old 04/30/2003, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

DP
Old 04/30/2003, 10:11 PM
Over budget Reefer

I worked for a LFS for three months while waiting to get back into the air Force. Then had one on a 55 gallon tankthat never produced more than a cup of skimmate for the 3 months I worked there. beleive me I tryed to get that skimmer to work as did the other guy in the marine dept. no luck

I had 3 (everyone the store sold ) come back to the store as well from customers who shared my experience.

I will look at your link because I have never read a thread in 3 years on Reef central where someone said their seaclone worked well (if at all). some have said they worked after the DIY modification

Allen
Old 05/01/2003, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Hi Folks.. This is the Vendor Forum, let's keep on track with experiences with Big Al's... not discussions of the SeaClone. That actually would be a good subject over in the "Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment " Forum.

Snailman
Old 05/01/2003, 11:58 AM
Over budget Reefer

Snailman I know what you mean! gosh who started all this about the seaclone anyway!? what a jerk.... oh wait it was me

sorry about that

Allen
Old 05/01/2003, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Snailman, sorry for the diversion on topics...it started out with all good intentions

Alittletank, to reiterate on the previous post, the positive feedback that I got was from local people and friends here, not on RC. Don't know if they were modified or not.

Thanks again to all that provided input on my question about Big Al's Online store. Much appreciated!

Next question, anybody have a list of online places that I could get decent priced live sand and other supplies to start a refugium?

Rhianna
Old 05/01/2003, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

http://reefcentral.com/sponsors/
Old 05/01/2003, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Zoom for the link! I actually have already looked on the majority of those sites, but wanted to know if there were any online companies that people here would recommend over others.

Rhianna
Old 05/01/2003, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks Zoom for the link! I actually have already looked on the majority of those sites, but wanted to know if there were any online companies that people here would recommend over others.

Rhianna
I order my from http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/door/ they are very close to my home and the shipping is very good i don't have any problems.i got small box with some ricordia and the shipping charges was $16.75.
Old 05/01/2003, 10:38 PM
Over budget Reefer

FYI in case you are worried about the company you are giving your credit card info to (I am a little paraniod about that) both marine Depot and Premium Aquatics price macth on drygoods!

they are really great about it. no attitude and the answer has always been sure no porblem when I told them it was cheaper at a different site.

for your refugium you might try drmacs or ISPF for kits

good luck
Allen
Old 05/03/2003, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks "aLittleTank" for the referrals. I'll give them a try.

Rhianna
Old 05/04/2003, 02:48 AM
"Wise men still seek HIM"

I purchased the Custom Sealife, Britelite & smartlite fixtures, from Big Als online without a problem, &, they had the best price out of the major e-tailers I know of, (Foster Smith, Marine Depot).