Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

dynoflagilates

Not sure if this is the best place to put this question in... If a modfeels its better placed elsewhere please move.

anyway, I'm having a huge problem with detritus and thise weired algae... like floating strings of brownish stringy stuff. also have bubbles on my rock. My sand bed isn't loose anymore and sticks together. always had detrus but this is rediculouse. all over the place and when I blow it off the top rock it settles on the sand to form a 1/8" thick blanket.

What should I do? is there a specific remidy I should follow? any med I can use? my zoanthids are suffering the worst. please help. thanks
Old 12/21/2007, 10:20 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I had this occur in my tank twice. Nearly destroyed the tank the first time and took out 2/3 of my inverts and some coral the second time.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...hf/index.php#1

I just turned off all light and covered up the whole tank to keep it in the dark for 7 days. Hardly fed the tank , just enough to keep fish/inverts barely fed. NO water changes till Dino's died off, skim heavy.

" Charles V "
Old 12/21/2007, 05:22 PM
Team RC Member

That is a great article Delsol650, I'm glad you posted it. I never got the chance to read it.

Thanks man..

Mucho
Old 12/21/2007, 09:29 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

anytime bro.

" Charles V "
Old 12/21/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

yes I read it and have to say thanks also... very informative.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:40 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

anytime

" Charles V "
Old 12/22/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Now I hope I can follow it and do it right
Old 12/22/2007, 12:22 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I went the extreme, and NO LIGHTS for full 7days. Hardly fed tank, no water changes, kept pH high at 8.3 temp around 80. after 7 days all dinos turned to dust.

suctioned most of the dead dinos, 2 50% water changes and ran LOTS of carbon during and after the bout. Carbon lessens the toxins emitted by the dinos.. These really kills most if not all the inverts in the tank. which is why I lost a lot of snails, conchs, pods and some corals.

" Charles V "
Old 01/09/2008, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

delsol650

how is your dino problem now ? I had to go with one more three day black out with my reef .
I did not had as many dinos this time but i think one more black out will help .
So far still using Lt of GFO a month I still have the refuge running I change all my MH bulbs to 14K Hamilton I got the Calcium reactor out of the system now I use two part with a slow doser I got my PH constantly over 8.2+ even at night cut back on my fish population in half my feeding is also very minimum .
Still got the dinos not is much but it was some before I turn the lights off for three days .
This morning I turn the actinic on for the first time the tank looks good some minor bleaching of the corals but not to bad .
I hope they go away soon I been fighting dinos for over 19 months now.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:02 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

1 full week of NO LIGHTS what so ever always clears it up for me while keeping pH high. NO water changes till the battle is over. 2 50% WC's. Its gone now again, thank goodness. Corals will look like crap or some might die, but its the price of getting rid of this scourge.

" Charles V "
Old 01/09/2008, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

A good boost to the pH is often very helpful depending on the species of dino. Check your pH then boost it to about 8.6 with some calcium hydroxide.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheFishGuy,LLC
A good boost to the pH is often very helpful depending on the species of dino. Check your pH then boost it to about 8.6 with some calcium hydroxide.
I had my at PH 8.6+ for weeks the dinos back off some but they always come back and don't asked about all the pumps seizing up. waking up in the mid of the night from the Tunze controller screaming is not fun. I still running Kalk slurry . Any other suggestions?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

for you guys that are recommending NO water changes during dino battles... why?
Old 01/09/2008, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barrman
for you guys that are recommending NO water changes during dino battles... why?
The extra trace elements in the new salt water aid the dinos to grow much faster.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:06 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Just make sure NO LIGHT SOURCE for food ( 1 full week ) and no water changes .. Corals will not be happy buy it will save them.

" Charles V "