Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2005, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubge
Do they make the sedra pumps with another plug for other countries?
I am not sure if the Sedras come with different plugs (they may), but I know you can get Sedras that run on 220/240 Volts.
Old 07/25/2005, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I purchased a G3 last week and need a little clarification on set up. I am making foam in the nozzle of the cup, but its not spilling over.
My water level is about 1/2 way up the first reducer. Am I supposed to raise it up to the nozzle in the cup (or second reducer / accumulator), leave it where it is, or lower it from where it is.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 07/26/2005, 05:52 AM
Certifiable Tank Driller

I've only had mine up for about a month so far but I have the bubbles come up about halfway into the riser tube in the cup itself. May a little less than half way. This will depend on how wet or dry you want to skim. Plus it took about a week for mine to actually start pulling the nasty's out.
Old 07/26/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

I made an adjustment before I went to bed this morning. It seems to be pulling it out now. I did just what you said and set the foam about half way up the cup. I know this stuff is going to stink because its so thick.
I hope this will help me keep the alge blooms under control.
Old 07/26/2005, 10:18 AM
Certifiable Tank Driller

It will definetly help. I know it helped with mine
Old 07/26/2005, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Please do not trouble shot on this thread. This thread is intended as a FAQ page for ASM skimmers.
Please trouble shoot in the ASM Skimmer Club! thread. If you want to add information that you think other ASM owners might find helpful, please do so. Thank you.
Old 07/31/2005, 09:32 PM
Ho hummer...

I have a g4 and I changed the sedra 5000 to the sedra 9000. How much does the tank rating go up after this mod?
Old 08/01/2005, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

What are the reccomended water levels within the sump for each skimmer?

"All things thru Him"
Old 08/02/2005, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Water Levels

While I have never seen anything publshed from All Seas Marine, I would recommend the following.

Minimum: 4 inches, you need to make sure there is enough water in your sump to cover the pump, don't want to run it dry.

Maximum: A few inches lower than the where the cone starts. If you place too much water in the sump, you will not be able to control the water level in the skimmer with the riser. Based on this, the maximum water level will vary depending on the skimmer model as they have differing heights.

I have seen some others suggest that 6-10 inches is where you need to be.
Old 08/04/2005, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Increasing pump size

Are there any benfits or downsides to using a Sedra 5000 instead of a 3500 on a G2?

Thanks,
Darrell
Old 08/08/2005, 01:38 AM
midnight desperado

A little more info....

Ozone and ASM skimmers-
ASM skimmers are ozone safe. You should see no problems with running ozone in your ASM skimmer. I have been running 100mg/hr for about 6 months now with no ill effects. I have noticed a slight yellowing of the needlewheel of the pump the O3 os injected into.. But no brittleness or other problems... A LFS in my area has been running 200mg/hr in a early model ASM skimmer (~G4?) for over 4 years now.. The only noticable effect is a slight yellowing of the skimmer body.. Thos also may be due to the 400w MH that shines almost directly on it?

Nate D
"If you don't test for it, DON'T ADD IT!!!!"
"Always strive for the optimum environment, not the minimum environment" -BrianD-
Old 08/08/2005, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

G2 riser tube size

I know Ive seen the answer somewhere but cant seem to find it again. Im planning on doing the gate valve mod and need to know what size to get.

Can someone please let me know the size of the risertube on the G2?

Thanks!
Old 08/08/2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

1.25....nevermind
Old 08/09/2005, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Just completed my ASM G3 Gate Valve Mod and Recirc Mod. The final footprint of it came to approx 15" x 10". Here is a photo of the final product:

Last edited by mike89t; 08/09/2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08/10/2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Gate Valve Mod on the G1, G1x, G2, and G3.

The G3 Gate Valve Mod works better if you put the elbow first, the gate valve 2nd, and the tee last. The Gate Valve Mod works better this way on the G1, G1x, G2, and G3 because of the height of the skimmer. You'll have more control of the foam height this way.

Tenshi
Old 08/11/2005, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

I am thinking of getting a G4 for my new 240g reef tank. Do you think the G4 will be good enough to handle the load? It is rated for more then that, but I was curious if anyone else around here has a G4 and a tank that is around 240g? How well does it seem to work for you? Do you wish you would have gone to the G4x or something else??

I was thinking about the G4x, but not sure it will fit in my stand. If it does, I may go with that just for the added assurance. Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback from others that are using a G4 and a nice sized tank.

Thanks for your feedback!!

-SHill

"Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something."
--- Thomas Edison
Old 08/12/2005, 11:11 AM
Recovering Addict

Quote:
In the interest of keeping this a quick reference, please ask any questions in the ASM club thread. Trying to keep this one a "info only" thread!
Old 08/20/2005, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

ASM Skimmer Information Center
http://www.asmskimmer.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old 08/20/2005, 03:48 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

Quote:
Originally posted by tenshi
Please do not trouble shot on this thread. This thread is intended as a FAQ page for ASM skimmers.
Please trouble shoot in the ASM Skimmer Club! thread. If you want to add information that you think other ASM owners might find helpful, please do so. Thank you.
I was wanting to find some Info on the AMS skimmer. Thank you tenshi for this thread. I have a 90g and without reading this thread I would have bought the gx1, Now I see from this site and other sites you placed up that they are Over rated. I will now buy the GX2 and thank you for helping me find the place with the cheapest. You saved me a butt-load of research

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 08/20/2005, 03:52 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

Quote:
Originally posted by gurumasta
i just ordered a g2 from

www.asmskimmer.com.

best prices and good customer service.
Thank you too gurumasta!!! After viewing all of the suggusted sites this site is theCHEAPEST buy far and that includes with the shipping.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 08/22/2005, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

they are not bad

They are not too bad. I have tried it and I was happy with it.
Old 08/24/2005, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

G3 Dimensions

I have had a lot of requests regarding the true dimensions of the ASM Skimmers.

I recently measured a G3 and this is what I came up with.
Footprint: 9.5 X 12
Height: 23.5

Does anyone have the true dimensions of the other skimmers? I will be remeasuring all of the skimmers as I have time.
Old 08/24/2005, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Hi guys got my NEW ASM G5 in 3weeks ago but the vender didn't send any pumps with it. SO had to wait 2 more weeks for the pumps to get here NOW there here but there is no seals where the pumps go through the body finaly got all the missing stuff. it has been running now for 3 days. BOY this thing really pulls some junk out of my tank. beats the heck out of my old downdraft. pretty big tho but i had the room so guess I would have to say I really like what I see.
Old 09/04/2005, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

I want an ASM G-1x Skimmer for my tank but my sump has an open space of 7.5 x 14 inches. Will I be able to maneuver/angle the protein skimmer in a way that would it would fit ???
Old 09/04/2005, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

pump differences and aggressive skimming question

Ok, this question was asked previously, but I didnt see the answer to it.
1) I have a G2, and wondering if there would be any advantage to switching the pump from a 3500 to a 5000.

2) Also, many people talk about aggressive skimming. What is aggressive skimming, and how would it be setup on the G2? thick skimmate?