Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What hard to find angel do you have
Bandit Angel 3 2.54%
Golden Pygmy Angel 3 2.54%
Colins Angel 6 5.08%
Hotumatuas Angel 0 0%
Interuptus Angel 9 7.63%
Joculator Angel 2 1.69%
Resplendent Angel 8 6.78%
Venustus Angel 3 2.54%
Blueline Angel 3 2.54%
Chrysurus Angel 5 4.24%
Conspicillatus Angel 9 7.63%
Multicolor Angel 7 5.93%
Peppermint Angel 49 41.53%
Kingi Angel 11 9.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12/02/2006, 02:08 AM
angelfish nut!

Here's a few wild images of C. abei described earlier this year courtesy of the Coral Reef Research Foundation in Palau where the fish was photographed at about 400 feet from a manned submersible. The holotype shown above was also collected there. Thanks to Lori at CRRF and as always Mr. Tanaka for the leads! Makes you wonder how many unseen species are lurking in the depths...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/02/2006, 04:08 AM
Pimping the Lady Boys

C.narcosis and C.abei are rare, I dont think C.abei was ever offered for sale as it is so new.
C.narcosis was, but very rare.

Largeangels, nice collection, you have any of them together in the same tank?
Old 12/02/2006, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

vili_Shark: Most of them. BUT that didn't happen overnight and I've found that some angels just have a personality of their own and don't play well with others so over the years some have been removed. Asfur, blueface and emperor didn't play nicely with others. Oh, I forgot to add the little gray poma.
Old 12/02/2006, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

what about the geniacanthus angels? there are several of them that are pretty rare too.
Old 12/03/2006, 03:41 AM
Hydrophilic

You know, Ive been trying to find a good, clear photo of C. abei ever since I first heard of the discovery/description... thanks to both for posting those

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/03/2006, 06:18 AM

Yup, that looks like a totally smooth angel John. I'd love to have one.
Old 12/03/2006, 09:59 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Is it me or is C. abei really reminiscent of the rarest angel of all, chaetodontoplus ballinae? Perhaps there is some convergent evolution going on with the deep water color pattern?
Old 12/03/2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coralite
Is it me or is C. abei really reminiscent of the rarest angel of all, chaetodontoplus ballinae? Perhaps there is some convergent evolution going on with the deep water color pattern?
Not really, it's a conscious effort on the part of the Centropyges themselves to confuse scientists & cause this type of speculation (Sorry - too much coffee naturally selects this type of posting)

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 12/03/2006, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

What a cracking thread. thanks for the great read guys. of all the angels i would love to keep a Potter's. have never seen one in the UK, does anybody have one here or know how much they reatail for?
Old 12/03/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Wow, that is really kind of funny how different things can be in europe than in the united states as far as aquarium keeping goes. You guys have an easier time getting some fish and vice versa.
It would be pretty hard to get Potter's in the UK as they come from Hawaii. We have a hard enough time getting them in good shape and keeping them in north america, so I would advise you be very picky about who you get them from.

I read in an article once about this guy who visited an aquarium ocnferance in germany and how impressed the germans were with the yellow tangs the aquarium had and paid almost no attention to all the purple tangs.
Old 12/03/2006, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Yellow tangs now two a penny over here. failing a potters i would go for a rusty but have only seen one over here and at the time i had a 10g so that was a no go. looking at my tank as i write i think i may have to go bigger befor i even think of a purchace. At the moment i am just doing home work.
Old 12/03/2006, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I just returned from Oahu (Hawaii). I did a couple dives with a collector friend of mine. I have never seen so many Potter's angels! Seems like there was a harem every 10 ft or so. This was all at about 100 ft of depth. This was the best photo I manage to snap(Potters in center):

The ones I followed seemed to eat mostly algae and detritus.
I had him (my friend) collect me a small pair which I brought back as checked baggage. I paid $15 each for them. So far, so good. For whatever reason, this angel has developed a poor track record in the US. I think, like any other fish, the care they get before you receive them has a lot to do with their survivability. I also brought back a 1.5 cm goldflake (not from Hawaii, but transits through there).

john
Old 12/03/2006, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Wow, a 1.5cm goldflake, that is way under an inch. Do you have a pic?
Old 12/04/2006, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

sedgro - who did you dive with?

i think he meant 1.5" goldflake. 1.5cm is barely noticeable.. lol i have a 1" goldflake in my reef at home.
Old 12/04/2006, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

I bet there aren't many people who have a holacanthus africanus either. I saw one online for sale today and I had never seen one offered before. they didn't say what it cost but I bet it is outrageous.
Old 12/04/2006, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Am very jealous. A pair of potters hand picked of $15 thats like £7.50. Most damesels cost that much over here. I guess i would have to factor in the diving lessons, flights and accommadation. life can seem so unfair.
Old 12/04/2006, 04:18 AM