Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 09:42 PM
The Squirrel Never Sleeps

Unhappy I'm Done: Dory, 1995(?) - December 28, 2007

I need a good reason not to break down my reef tank and sell everything.

Our beloved Dory (Hippo Tang) died today. If ever a fish was a pet and member of our family, Dory was that fish.

Dory (c.1995 to December 28, 2007)

If I had half the fighting spirit and will to live that this fish taught us all, I would be a far better person than I am. I can't even begin to recollect the trials and tribulations that this fish endured due to my poor husbandry and the travels I made him endure. Let me try to recount:
  • FOUR tank moves (from Summit, NJ to Huntington Station, NY, to Commack NY, to our present abode).
  • Numerous bouts of ich
  • Horrible HLLE
  • One THREE day power outage in NJ, of course in the dead of winter. The temperature in the tank dropped incredibly to 52 degrees for three days. Incredibly Dory survived
  • A few other power failures
  • Other power problems due to among other things leak in the return that shorted out the wires; water dripping from the back of the tank shorting out a powerstrip, and other incidents of dubious distinction.
  • Poor husbandry (including improper nutrition for years --- not knowing about it's need for algae, and nori), and infrequent/insufficient water changes, etc.)
  • I could go on...
Dory had more lives than the three of our cats put together. I can't even begin to count the number of times that we thought Dory was dead. But, she was playing opossum. What a joker she was.

She will be dearly missed.

And, now I contemplate taking down and selling my entire reef system. Only Tracy is keeping me from doing it --- she says we have the other fish to care for.

What shall we do?
Old 12/28/2007, 09:51 PM
forever newbie

Well, you must have great husbandry skills to keep Dory alive through all she had been through. I know how disheartning it is to lose a beloved pet. I agree with your wife though. You must perserver for the sake of your other fin friends. Besides, I have a sneaking suspesion that Dory would want you too
Old 12/28/2007, 09:55 PM

I should have added that I gave Dory a proper burial in the planter area in the front of our house. A temporary marker marks the spot. Something more permanent will be made by the family.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:58 PM
How many is too many?

Sorry to hear that Lonnie. Dont take down your tank as in time you will regret it. Besides all the other fish and corals you have eed your care!
Old 12/29/2007, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

I'm sorry about your loss Lonny, They are more important to us than we think.

Bobby
Old 12/29/2007, 09:43 AM
10 & Over Club

Lonnie,

Dory lived a good long life. An honorable death of old age is a good thing, not something to be upset over. It's still hard though. As long as I've been in the hobby, I've lost many a fish that I've had for many years. It doesn't get easier, it does take the wind out of your sails for a bit, but if keep going you will happy in the long run that you did

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/29/2007, 09:49 AM
RC Staff
American

I'd say that 12 years is a more than respectable run for a fish in captivity. You did just fine by Dory, Lonnie. You're a reefer that cares, we need more like you, not less. Stick it out, you'll be happy you did.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 12/29/2007, 10:14 AM
--sister of geek--

Sorry to hear it Lon--and let some time pass before you break everything down.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Lonnie ---Listen to your wife!!
Old 12/29/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

I understand how you feel. A couple of months ago I lost my Kole Tang that I had for almost 12 years. I was so upset. The best thing now is to focus on your existing fish.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:06 PM
--sister of geek--

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinny Kreyling
Lonnie ---Listen to your wife!!
Always good advice :P
Old 12/30/2007, 09:10 AM

What I haven't mentioned lately is that all of my SPS and LPS corals are gone.

I do have a lot of zoanthids and a TON of mushrooms covering almost all the live rock.

The other fish are doing fine.

I just can't see paying LIPA/Keyspan/Energy Grid a gazillion dollars a month at this time.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:12 AM
--sister of geek--

What happened to the LPS and SPS? Your refugium/prop system?

Old 12/30/2007, 01:05 PM
How many is too many?

Wow Lonnie what happened to everything? As Christine suggested let some time pass before you break it down and end up regretting it. It was some good advice passed on to me at one point when i was thinking of packing it in.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:25 PM

All the SPS kind of bleached out at once... pretty sad to see that gorgeous pink birdsnest go almost overnight.

The tri-color acro went in about a week.

The others went here and there.

All the candy canes (four or five different varieties went in the past six weeks or so).

Just lost the red lobo about a week ago

The frag tank has lots of mushrooms and green star polyps. But, nothing else.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Lonnie,
It sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Everything was doing wonderfully, and then almost overnight things starting bleaching out for no known reason. Zoos, mushrooms and fish all were fine, but everything else went. It is very fustrating, when you see things grow from frags, to beautiful pieces... to skeletons.
I wanted to break it all down also, but we combined Joe's tank with mine, and I'm taking a breather... maintaining what we have, but not adding anything for a while.
I would say just give it a week or so, before you make any decisions, and yes, listen to your wife- most wives in this hobby want the tanks broken down- if Tracy says keep it, I would agree.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:40 PM

If I do take the reef down, I would keep the tank... perhaps converting it to freshwater.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:44 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by LCGoldman
If I do take the reef down, I would keep the tank... perhaps converting it to freshwater.
If you must "convert", take the high cost lighting off, run fluorescents only, and keep fish, live rock and a few softies for a while. It's cheaper, easier, and it's cheaper

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 12/30/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Did you check the bulbs?I almost lost half my corals due to a cracked MH bulb.Everything was doing great and light output looked normal but within days everything was bleaching out.I guess i caught it in time.
Hang in and good luck!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:11 PM
underfunded reefer

Oh man, so sorry to hear Lonnie. Its really frustrating when things like this happen. But you still have a beautiful tank and if you're looking to save some money on electricity you could nix the halide, chiller, ca reactor? before having to take the whole thing down, let me know if you need any help or anything.

Sorry i've been out of touch for a while, reeeeeeeeeeally busy. Hope all is well buddy!

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 01/05/2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

lonnie sorry for your loss, i know how hard it is to lose a pet, but i bet if you get a baby and watch it grow it will bring you great memories of Dory.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by puckbs
Sorry i've been out of touch for a while, reeeeeeeeeeally busy. Hope all is well buddy!
You got a PM.