Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

1 fish dead 1 fish hurt....help!

Until last night I had 2 clownfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 kole tang, 1 yellow tang, and 2 cleaner shrimp in my 75 gallon tank. Last night my yellow tang was all beat up when I got home. His left fin was almost detached from his body. The fins on the top were kind of shredded. His nose was all scraped up and he was bleeding. I noticed he was all beat up and I was trying to figure out what to do. One of the cleaner shrimp went over and started pulling on his fin. It ended up bleeding. I finally got a pitcher and put him in it. He made it until about 4 a.m. When my lights came on a bit ago, I noticed my kole tang wasn't swimming around all active as he normally is. I went over to my tank and found him. He isn't beet up nearly as bad as my yellow tang was but now my kole tang is hurt. He has a couple of spots on each side of him where his purple coloring is gone. The fins on the top are shredded worse than the yellow tang was. I have no idea what is going on in my tank. I have had these fish for 2 months. What in the world could be hurting them? I am afraid that my clownfish or royal gramma is next.

Any thoughts?
Old 06/23/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

royal gramma could be doing it, what type of clowns do you have? what type of cleaner is it?
Old 06/23/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

How many fish in your 75G?
Old 06/23/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

I guess the royal gramma could be doing it. I kind of hesitate on thinking that because when the kole or yellow tang would swim by him he would go back into the rocks. He will swim next to the 2 percula clownfish.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Right now I have 3 in there. See above. My kole tang is still alive but I have him in a seperate container right now. I don't know what to do with the kole tang. I just have him in a plastic container.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Dont keep him in the plastic container to long, stress level can be damaging. I would definatly remove a tang from your tank... Just my opinion. Both those fish in the same community would need a bigger tank than a 75G.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Well my other tang died last night. I only have the 2 clownfish and the 1 royal gramma in there. I am in a catch 22. If I leave him in the tank he is going to die. If I leave him in the plastic container he is probably going to die.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Plastic container will be a definite death, he has a better chance in the tank.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

go to wal-mart and buy a 18gal rubbermaid tote (really cheap) and set it up as a QT for the tang (airstone and heater). Any chance you have a mantis?
Old 06/23/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

He's back in the tank but I don't give him an hour to be dead. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06/23/2007, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I wish you the best! let us know what happens
Old 06/23/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like your 2 tangs had at it. I can't see a Royal Gramma doing that much damage to 2 tangs who can more than take care of themselves.
Old 06/23/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I had actually thought about the 2 tangs fighting last night. But last night the kole tang was perfectly healthy. When the lights came on today is when he was all beat up. So it happened during the night when the lights were off.

I got the 2 tangs at the same time and they were in the same tank. They have been living together quite well. No fighting or anything. I watched them very close when I first got them.
Old 06/23/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

What kind of clownfish do you have and how big is the Yellow Tang?
No way a Royal Gramma beat up two tangs unless they are juveniles...
Old 06/24/2007, 01:10 AM
...this is only a test...

Quote:
Originally posted by fishyvet
Any chance you have a mantis?
The mantis wouldn't have beat them up, it would have killed them with one shot.