Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/04/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Splashing in the sump

OK, so I thought that I had a leak in my sump, but I have come to the conclusion that I might just have a splashing problem. Does anyone have any methods they know of that will create less turbulence when water is fed to my sump from the display, to cut down on the splashing? The PVC that feeds the sump is about 2-3" below the sump's water surface, and I added an extra kink in the line (using 2 street ells), that only helped a little........ any help would help me sleep tonight! : )
Old 06/05/2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Old 06/05/2007, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

You might want to search for the 'herbie' method in the Lighting & Filtration forum. It will require some modification to your system, but it's virtually silent. I use it on my 50 and 150.
Old 06/05/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Put a filter sock on the end of the overflow pipe...it will really quiet it down and reduce any bubbling.
Old 06/05/2007, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

I agree with Mr. Idiot. I had a bunch of splashing and salt accumulating all over around my sump from the spray - adding the filter sock not only quieted things down, but stopped all the splashing and spray.
Old 06/05/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

I have a filter sock over the drain and it works quite well. I also made a splash shield on the side of the sump where the drain is. Keeps any stray droplets from hitting my power strips.
Old 06/05/2007, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Kookerson,

Here's another option.

Many people have their PVC plumbing designed so that some water lays in the piping (90 and 45 degree elbows). Naturally, when the water falls down the pipe, it crashes into the "standing" water and makes noise.

I have a 3' flexible pool hose connected to my bulkhead. I found that if I position it so it gently/slowly curves from straight down to horizontal, over the 3' length, the water doesn't have that hard crash. It has time to group (flow) together and slow down somewhat. I have no noise and no gurgling.

A brand new hose will make noise and bubbles for a few days. It has to get saturated and build up at least a little slime coat. After that, play with the amount of bend and angle of decent until you get it as quiet as you can.

This worked great on my 90.

It's not a great pic, but you'll get the idea.

Last edited by rick s; 06/05/2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06/05/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Right on guys! Thanks for all the input!
Old 06/05/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Just a little update and a little more thanks.....but I put a sock in there (just a regular foot one for right now) and it helped ALOT! Thanks!
Old 06/05/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I made a reverse durso for my sump (water enters from the top). I T'd off half way down, added a 90 degree elbow with a cap, hole drilled in the top. I then T'd off the bottom, under water. I then have a filter sock that this fits in to. Now the air entering the tube can be vented, and it is almost silent. It also helped with the sound from the overflow.
Old 06/06/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

I also made a "reverse Durso" and it is nearly silent.
Old 06/06/2007, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Osmotic Shock
I also made a "reverse Durso" and it is nearly silent.
COuld one of you please post a picture or diagram of your reverse durso - sounds fun...
Old 06/06/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Yea I would like to see a pic of the reverse durso also.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Hey Rick....Just loking at your return hose,Arn't you scared of the possibility of it comming apart especially when your reducing the flow with that ball valve....Just a thought...Rob
Old 06/06/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Put a filter sock on the end of the overflow pipe...it will really quiet it down and reduce any bubbling.
Thanks! I just tried this (with a regular sock), and I think I may have stopped the periodic gurgling noises.
Old 06/06/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Get rid of the tube sock!!

I did the same thing... used a tube sock instead of a real filter sock. Did a great job romoving debris, but after 2 days, the water started getting really cloudy. Replaced the tube sock, and the cloudiness went away... for about 2 days again. Since I put a real polyester fiber bag in there, I havent had any issues. I think the cotton is a breeding ground for bad stuff. The filter bags are only $6 at my LFS so they wont break the bank.
Old 06/06/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

My worry about a tube sock would be if you washed it - lots of laundry detergent contains phosphorus.

I just turn mine inside out and rinse it with hot water, then RO (to rinse off the tap water), once a week or as needed.

My (potentially flawed) plan is to have two, and when I take one out, soak it in 1 part bleach 3 parts RO overnight, then rinse with RO, and let dry for the rest of the week. From what I understand, if using good bleach (regular clorox), the bleach will evaporate completely.
Old 06/06/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

I had the same problem...This is what solved it and gave me silence in the sump....

Old 06/06/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

when i added a 90 degree elbo the the overflow it stopped the splashing in the sump