Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/30/2007, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Floss or no Floss

I have elected to buy a sulphur denitrator to rid my tank of nitrates which approximate 80ppm in my 220. I have a 45 gallon sump, MRC2 skimmer and Aqua 40 w UV and a large bio load. I also use a Fluval X5 cannister filter(860 GPH) which I have only kept floss in as carbon is in the sump. The Fluval does an amazing job at polishing my water. It is absolutely crystal clear with zero particulate matter floating around. However, given where the filter is located and the time it takes to open and clean it, it is not something I desire to do each week as I do with the sponge blocks in my sump.

So the question is this. I am concerned that the build up of waste on the floss that is in the Fluval, assuming I currently change the floss every 60 days , is contributing to my nitrate problem, irrespective of the new denitrator I will be adding. I love what the Fluval does and am not losing it. Therefore, should I continue to use floss in it or pack it with some of the Ehiem small substrate?
In either case, I am not sure which option will have greater efficacy in minimizing nitrates.

Thanks Mates
Old 08/30/2007, 04:05 PM
RC Mod

I'd guess that the floss could be a source of nitrate for the water column. I'd either ditch it, or clean it week or two. That said, the denitrator might be able to handle the nitrate produced by the floss, so you could wait and see what happens.
Old 08/31/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Floss will add nitrate like a mother. It's kinda like bioballs in many ways, except it's not completely out of the water.

Loose the floss filter, or use it only a few hours per week. I never used a floss filter in my entire life and my water quality is very good.

There are many many causes for nitrates. Mostly are from having a small skimmer and over feeding, even not enough live rocks may be a problem. 3'' sand bed that havn't been vacumed could cause such problems also.

I would suggest you find the problem first, correct it, and change your water. If you're confident in your abilities and your tank, then you can add calcium gluconate (seachem reef calcium)/sugar/high-priced Vodka-please do some research on these methods first before adding anything.
Old 08/31/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments on the floss. I had suspected that was the potential cause but it prompts two questions.

1) The cannister filter has produced absolutely crystal clear water in my tank. It is picture perfect. I guess however at a cost of NITRATE. If I remove the floss what would/could I use in its place. I was thinking of the Ehiem substrate but that may even be worse and it will not produce the desired effects of clear water as detrius will pass right through it.

2) Your comment on vacuming the sand bed is an interesting one although I have heard mixed reviews on doing it as it disturbs the established bacteria colonies. Is this advisable. I have a 3 inch sand bed.

Thanks much for your insights. As Bertoni points out previously, I just may wait until I see the results of the new Sulphur Di-Nitrator I purchased before coming to a conclusion about a radical change. Again my goal here is twofold--lower nitrates and sparkling water.
Old 08/31/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
I'd guess that the floss could be a source of nitrate for the water column. I'd either ditch it, or clean it week or two. That said, the denitrator might be able to handle the nitrate produced by the floss, so you could wait and see what happens.

Thanks Jonathan. Always respect your guidance. I am hooking up the de-ntifier this weekend and will begin measuring results before I contemplate ditching the cannister. Would you advise vacuming the sandbed which is some 3 inches?????

Thanks much
Old 08/31/2007, 09:27 AM
RC Mod

That's probably fine. The vacuuming might help a bit, although it might also remove animals that make the sandbed "live", although that might not much matter.
Old 09/03/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

grouper25,
Although the Fluval is helping to polish the water. IMO/E your Aqua 40 w UV is the biggest contributer to your sparkling crystal clear water.