Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2007, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Ever thought about a reflective background?

I am in the slow process of transitioning from my 55g to a 120g with a 75g sump. The black paint on the back of the DT was somewhat scratched up so I just went ahead and scraped it all off. My tank will sit with one long side against the wall and veiwable on the remaining long side and both short sides.

Here is the question: Has anyone ever thought about, and would like to share, the pros and cons of possibly doing a reflective background to facilitate seeing behind the rocks in a three sided tank?

I have given a little thougt to the idea and what I can think is that it would have to remain clean for one. That is OK with me because I do not like the look of anything on the back. I had thought that a "smoked" mirror would be nice.

Would the fish fight with the reflection? Or would they get used to it after a bit?

Any helpful thoughts, ideas or comments would be appreciated!
Old 04/23/2007, 10:14 AM
Delaware Reef Club

My concern would be the fish fighting with their refections - remember - fish are kinda dumb, if you change rock around they think they are in a new tank - they probably would just keep ramming the glass until they died.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

I've heard similar problems as CDangel0.

The fish tend to get freaked out by their reflections.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

i have a mirror behind my tANK and there is no problems with fish fighting themselves the mirror was there when i introduced them so maybe that helps. i posted about mirrors a while back and everyone said it was no good,i thinks it is cool to be able to see behind the rockwork.my tank is 3 inches from wall and is pain to clean back but if i am carefull no drips on back hope this helps
Old 04/23/2007, 11:14 AM
Master Blaster

I've seen window tinting that is mirrored in the local PeP Boys. I think that would be a neat option. Fish would get used to it I think. I have found that putting a fragile fish in a container for a bit will allow the more aggresive fish to ram the container a few times until they realize that it is useless. After a few days I let the fish go and things are usually fine. Fish can learn. That has been proven.
Old 04/23/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

would coralline algae cover the glass after a while?
Old 04/23/2007, 12:45 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neotekz
would coralline algae cover the glass after a while?
if conditions for growth were right than yes, it'll cover everything.
scrap off what ya don't want. (this does help to spread it around some though)

Fish being freaked at reflections, this would probably be on a fish by fish basis. Some species willd efinatly be more aggressive to seeing "another" male or so in the tank with em, but some may not care. And even some of the more aggressive ones may not mind after awhile, while others may ram the glass till their dead.
The only reason I would think people would stay clear of mirror on the back would be more lighting oriented, I hear alot of people mentioned adding a mirrored backgroudn to help with light reflection, mirrors are actually not a good reflector but just for viewing purposes, I don't see why not, as long as you watch the fish carefully and remove those that just won't adapt.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 04/23/2007, 02:40 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Depends on what fish you want to keep. I had a squarespot anthias, and he would go INSANE at his reflection or at a photo I had taken of him. It was hilarious to watch him attack it, but I wouldn't want him that aggressive all the time.

Crystal
Old 04/23/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

pretty much all of my fish are aggresive ihave triggers, a grouper,eel,puffers damsels and a marron clown they just swim right along side mirror like it is not even there
Old 04/23/2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all of your input. I was thinking about a darkened reflective surface also due to the fact that I don't want to stare at myself in my tank!!
Old 04/23/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Now if you would put the reflective part on the 'ceiling' I think they would like that... I know I do!!!
Old 04/23/2007, 03:48 PM
"Old Yeller"

white reflective ok - mirror reflective no way....

Pick something that is going to look ok as alage and coraline cover it up over time (blue/black are most common)
Old 04/23/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Z-Man07

I have given a little thougt to the idea and what I can think is that it would have to remain clean for one. That is OK with me because I do not like the look of anything on the back.
Thanks. I can appreciate that, Randall. However, I aspire to have a clean tank similar to Naka's. In my own opinion, coraline belongs on the rocks, not on the glass.

I may pick up a cheap piece of auto tint just to give it the "old college try." (What does that mean anyway? )

Any other opinions or input please?
Old 04/23/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Most people don't like the bubbles in their tank but if you hooked up a venturi for 1 second on one of your pumps things do get brighter.

Old 04/23/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

I used to have a mirror behind my nano (so I could see the shy peeps better) and it caused some algae growth- I think because it was reflecting more light into previously dark areas. I removed the mirror and the algae went away. I wonder how much a darker reflective surface would impact light reflection.... I do like being able to see back there.
Old 04/24/2007, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Cloak,
Is it me? I am not grasping the point of your post. Please elaborate.

Faviaphile,
Thanks for your input. Promoting algae growth would not be one of my goals!

Thanks,
Old 04/24/2007, 03:20 PM
"Old Yeller"

Quote:
Originally posted by Z-Man07
Thanks. I can appreciate that, Randall. However, I aspire to have a clean tank similar to Naka's. In my own opinion, coraline belongs on the rocks, not on the glass.

I may pick up a cheap piece of auto tint just to give it the "old college try." (What does that mean anyway? )

Any other opinions or input please?
I keep any exposed glass I have clean, however most tank backs are not easily accessible and so are typically overgrown with coraline. I have oak side panels on my current home tank and reaching the back glass with anything but a 4' long stick is impossible (42" tall stand, 32" tall tank = way tall )
Old 04/24/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

the only thing that i have against mirrors is that they show scratches really easily. even more so that acrylic. and a scratch can be either from the face or backing, and it will still show. so, you have to think about that when cleaning. if you are to do this, i would just place in an insert and not have it fixed. i guess it would be kinda cool to be able to see what's going on under the back of your rocks, but the back is where i toss stuff like empty hermit shells and what not...don't know if i'd want to see that.
Old 04/24/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

I actually have a tank that was built with a mirror as the back pane.

I have yet to set it up though.

Agu's Son
Cancun, Mexico
Old 04/24/2007, 04:26 PM
"Old Yeller"

Please do not use a mirror by any means... It will result in dead fish

and
[welcome] Kensington
Old 04/24/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

randall fact or opinion no of my fish have died
Old 04/24/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I've got a mirror background. The fish don't even seem to pay attention to their reflections. The mirror never seems to be clean enough to get a good view. Mirrors plus high powered lighting is bad.