Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/24/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Global warming

Is it real or just hype? I want to hear the truth from all of you.
Old 05/24/2007, 09:29 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

IBTL!

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 05/24/2007, 09:33 PM
Addicted to the Reef

yeah really. ibtl sent the mod an im about 1/2 hour ago.. supprised this is still here

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 05/24/2007, 09:37 PM
Moved On

i tink gw real after all hes us president for 2 time an he make alot moneys
Old 05/24/2007, 09:41 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by A.T.T.R
yeah really. ibtl sent the mod an im about 1/2 hour ago.. supprised this is still here
Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with the subject, I just know how these threads end up.

Old 05/24/2007, 09:45 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

Why would you report this???
I know we have the reef & tang police, I didn't know we had a "Afraid of Different Opinion Police"

There is one thread here that has been going on for sometime now.

Quote:
Originally posted by A.T.T.R
Old 05/24/2007, 09:46 PM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by AS11423
i tink gw real after all hes us president for 2 time an he make alot moneys
Huh?

It's bunk. I remember a Newsweek article in 1975 where they were saying we are all going to starve because of Global Cooling. It has been one of the coolest springs in a decade here in Oklahoma and Texas - and that's the fault of Global Warming as well. Yeah Right...

Mars is warming as well and it is the fault of the martians driving SUV's...

Algore is a goober.
Old 05/24/2007, 09:54 PM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

Comments like this make the mods lock it.

I know somepeople who will make ridiculous comments so threads get shut down if it differs from their opinion.
or they start talking about types of fruit pies or some nonsense.

Quote:
Originally posted by starmanres
Huh?

It's bunk. I remember a Newsweek article in 1975 where they were saying we are all going to starve because of Global Cooling. It has been one of the coolest springs in a decade here in Oklahoma and Texas - and that's the fault of Global Warming as well. Yeah Right...

Mars is warming as well and it is the fault of the martians driving SUV's...

Algore is a goober.
Old 05/24/2007, 10:02 PM
Addicted to the Reef

thread looks like an troll .. dosnt it?
the thread starter give no opinion of his own.
plus this is better suited for the lounge if anything.

i personaly think GW is real. but will fix it self. after a long long and very bad time

Old 05/24/2007, 10:05 PM
Moderator Clone

Have a real discussion, with facts (versus name calling), and keep the politics out of it and it will stay open. Otherwise, it will be a very short thread.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!

Last edited by Anemone; 05/24/2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05/24/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Global warming isn't exactly what's happening. The new vogue term and more acurate term is "Global Climate Change". Warming is part of it,and may be the overall averaged effect, but not everyewhere. Effects will vary, some cooler, some warmer, some wetter, some drier.

No matter what rate its happening I don't think anyone can doubt that what we are doing is not beneficial to the planet or our future on this planet.
Old 05/24/2007, 11:07 PM
King of the white corals

If I may ask a silly question.....

IBTL= ????

I get the gist...but what does the acronym stand for??
Old 05/24/2007, 11:09 PM
Addicted to the Reef

in before the lock

Old 05/24/2007, 11:21 PM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by Salamander
Global warming isn't exactly what's happening. The new vogue term and more acurate term is "Global Climate Change". Warming is part of it,and may be the overall averaged effect, but not everyewhere. Effects will vary, some cooler, some warmer, some wetter, some drier.

No matter what rate its happening I don't think anyone can doubt that what we are doing is not beneficial to the planet or our future on this planet.
So basically whatever happens - we were right. It may get cooler or warmer or wetter or dryer but that just supports that we know that driving your SUV is bad-bad-bad!

Not only that but it is especially bad if that SUV is in the United States! The U.S. is the worst offender and the rest of the world is so much more advanced than us because they are so in tune with Mother Earth...

I have been around long enough to know that some years are wetter and others are dryer. Some are cooler and others are warmer. If I sit really still and try not to breathe, it doesn't change the earth in any way but I might pass out and hurt myself.

Personally the Mods should automatically lock any thread on Global Warming because it's a sad, sad joke that a bunch of goobers have played on gullible people worldwide - not because someone posts an anti-global warming - anti-Algore response.

Buying a hybrid or Carbon Offsets now provide special rights for them to tell you how awful you are because you aren't doing anything to save the earth.

It is typical of the GW side to end all conversation when someone steps up and states that it is all a huge farce and then shows SCIENCE to support the non-GW statement. We always get "The debate has ended. Everyone knows Global Warming is a fact." like that is that - no more discussion.

If you perform a search for Newsweek April 28, 1975 - you can see the article explaining the impending Global Cooling crisis and the New Ice Age will starve millions of Americans by the year 2000!

The U.S. is better about emmissions now than it has been in the last 100 years - but that's not enough. We must go back to before cars - before horses - we need to go back to the standards set in the early 1,000 BC so we can be sure that our affect on earth is very minimal. Even candle flame might add too much silt back into the atmosphere... We need to all go Stone Age.

Don't go Green - Get Stoned!

All [non-political] washed up Vice Presidents should stick to what they know best - picking up dog poop in the yard before using the lawn mower.
Old 05/24/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

Can't say I agree with ya' there.

GW is a key phrase that's not going away. Its true that climate change has always been cyclical in our earth's history. And with this change some areas warm while others cool, but the overall average over the entire earth equals warming.

I've worked in dendrochronology labs and have seen evidence of small scale change in the last 1000 years but change also occurs on a larger and longer cycle too. But what the evidence indicates now is that we have logorythmically skewed this natural cycle and are now on a trajectory of rapid change that the planet may have never witnessed before acording to all accepted evidence. You can always find evidence to the contrary of anything, such as 9/11 was fake, the moon walk was fake, Osama Bin Laden is a CIA Robot, but is this credible science.....no.

Just like in our tanks, rapid change = bad, bad things.
Old 05/25/2007, 12:21 AM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by Salamander
Can't say I agree with ya' there.

GW is a key phrase that's not going away. Its true that climate change has always been cyclical in our earth's history. And with this change some areas warm while others cool, but the overall average over the entire earth equals warming.

I've worked in dendrochronology labs and have seen evidence of small scale change in the last 1000 years but change also occurs on a larger and longer cycle too. But what the evidence indicates now is that we have logorythmically skewed this natural cycle and are now on a trajectory of rapid change that the planet may have never witnessed before acording to all accepted evidence. You can always find evidence to the contrary of anything, such as 9/11 was fake, the moon walk was fake, Osama Bin Laden is a CIA Robot, but is this credible science.....no.

Just like in our tanks, rapid change = bad, bad things.
There is so much evidence to the contrary that change happened slowly and that the changes are because of mankind's influence.

Animals that were warm dwelling found frozen under tons of ice. Viking farms in Greenland recently found with all the tools and houses covered by tons of ice.

The earth has warmed less than 1 degree over the past 100 years and the majority of the increase came before 1940. The entire argument is about power and money - not about saving the earth. And to prove it, look at Algore's private plane he takes everywhere. If he was truly doing it to save the earth, other less greenhouse gas producing methods of travel would be his choice.

So now you want us to jump on a bandwagon that says it will now increase 15 degrees over the next 30 years if we don't change yesterday? It is difficult to believe and impossible to prove but a large group of people want to punish world economies to fake it into fact and many of this group have a financial stake in getting people to believe it. I don't see Algore buying up huge chunks of Arizona in preparation that it will soon be beachfront property...

My brother works for NASA and says they have twice the scientists that do not believe in man-made GW than do - but they are not allowed to say so without fear of losing their credibility and jobs.

GW is a religious movement. It is a money-making machine that brow-beats political leaders and influences government policy. Those that oppose are considered wing nuts and ignorant.

Remember that at one time, everyone "knew" that the earth was flat. And those that said otherwise were called ignorant and wing nuts...
Old 05/25/2007, 01:53 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
It is typical of the GW side to end all conversation when someone steps up and states that it is all a huge farce and then shows SCIENCE to support the non-GW statement.
Show the science.
Quote:
The U.S. is better about emmissions now than it has been in the last 100 years
No we aren't.

Old 05/25/2007, 01:56 AM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
My brother works for NASA and says they have twice the scientists that do not believe in man-made GW than do - but they are not allowed to say so without fear of losing their credibility and jobs.
So what if a bunch of engineers don't believe it? And if you want to talk about NASA scientists being hushed up, read this: link

Old 05/25/2007, 02:18 AM
Registered Member

global warming is real theres no two ways about it...

The effects of global warming on global coral reef ecosystems will vary from one region to another. Although climate change has the potential to yield some benefits for certain coral species in specific regions, such as the expansion of their geographic ranges to higher latitudes, most of the effects of climate change will be harmful rather than beneficial.

While the net effects of climate change on coral reefs will be negative, coral reef organisms and communities are not necessarily doomed to total extinction. The diversity of existing coral species, the acknowledged adaptation potential of reef organisms, the spatial and temporal variations in climate change, and the potential for human management and protection of coral reef ecosystems all provide scope for survival.

i mean weve all read it co2 causes holes in the ozone... which lets uv lights get in and not get out causing the heat to go up... which causes everything else to change, os its not climate change... its the heat and its going to be very bad within the next few years guaranteed. everything will start melting animals will go extinct (certain ones) mainly polar bears, penguins... its sad and people always brush it off... not that it matters because supposedly there is a metoer thats suppose to pass in 2027 and nearly miss the earth then come back around in 2035 and hit and wipe out a lot anyway... so live it up
Old 05/25/2007, 02:18 AM
El Jefe de WRS

I believe in GW. Samples from the Polar Icecaps have shown that the current amounts of Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are higher than have been in any of the past 'warming trends' in our earth's history, and we have achieved those levels in a fraction of the time that nature would take to get those levels in the past. Even during years where there were extinction-event size volcanic eruptions, the carbon-dioxide levels werent as high as they are now.

I mean, I get the rationale that 'these things happen', but humanity is adding to this, speeding it up in intensity and magnitude. Seriously, I think we are already screwed. If its not GW, I think overpopulation is the real problem. Nobody likes to talk about it, sure, because what are you gonna do about it? But I think humans are going to be eating soylent green sooner than we think. Overfishing, pollution, land for food production, hazardous chemicals in the water and food we eat, freshwater supplies... One county next to Milwaukee here, Waukesha, is already facing a water shortage because only communities ON the Great Lakes are allowed to pump drinking water from there. So when they tried to get water through a pipeline, the rest of the communities on the Great Lakes said 'no'. I dont blame them.. I mean, if they can get an exception, who else is in line? So Waukesha is considering pumping water from the shallow watertable that is otherwise protected as wetlands/marsh. It wouldnt even sustain them, and ruin the environment. 'Protected'?... Yeah, right... until a thirsty community decides they are more important than a bunch of trees and birds.

I remember those early ideas about 'global cooling'... but hey, how can you cite that as evidence that current thinking is wrong? Thats like saying that at one time we thought the world was flat, therefore the idea that the world is round should be of minimal credibility. Now, that sounds silly considering our day and age, but back when the idea of a 'round earth' was new... We learn from our mistakes, and the science improves. Those days of 'global cooling' were during the cold war, when nuclear winters were a doomsday possibility. In those days, environmentalism was just starting, and the science was just new. People were dying from PCB's by GE along the Hudson, and nobody knew why. Id hate to think that one would still argue that PCB's may not have been the real cause of all the birth defects and deaths simply because 'there might be an alternate reason', or 'one time, someone was wrong before, so they might be again, so we shouldnt do anything because we may not believe them'... I dont know... seems a little thick to me.

I dont think that anyone here can argue that some things need to improve, or that environmental awareness is a bad thing. Otherwise, we wouldnt have much nature left at this point, and several more species would be extinct already. I dont know about you, but I like being able to swim and drink clean water. If the conservation movement never started, just imagine the consequences. Our hobby for one, woulnt exist, because all the coral reefs would have been plundered by now.
Old 05/25/2007, 02:59 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

Is it real? Perhaps. Some places are warming. Some are cooling.

Is there any damn thing we can do about it? Nope.

The earth and sun are on their own cycles. Anything we do (pollution, using more than one sheet of toilet paper) is such a small drop in the bucket when it comes to the climate of our world, it is plain ol' ARROGANT to think we have a huge impact on it.

Sure, we should use the resourses we have wisely, but to think that driving a Prius instead of an SUV is going to save our planet is a joke.

Crystal
Old 05/25/2007, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So basically whatever happens - we were right. It may get cooler or warmer or wetter or dryer but that just supports that we know that driving your SUV is bad-bad-bad!

Not only that but it is especially bad if that SUV is in the United States! The U.S. is the worst offender and the rest of the world is so much more advanced than us because they are so in tune with Mother Earth...

I have been around long enough to know that some years are wetter and others are dryer. Some are cooler and others are warmer. If I sit really still and try not to breathe, it doesn't change the earth in any way but I might pass out and hurt myself.

Personally the Mods should automatically lock any thread on Global Warming because it's a sad, sad joke that a bunch of goobers have played on gullible people worldwide - not because someone posts an anti-global warming - anti-Algore response.

Buying a hybrid or Carbon Offsets now provide special rights for them to tell you how awful you are because you aren't doing anything to save the earth.

It is typical of the GW side to end all conversation when someone steps up and states that it is all a huge farce and then shows SCIENCE to support the non-GW statement. We always get "The debate has ended. Everyone knows Global Warming is a fact." like that is that - no more discussion.

If you perform a search for Newsweek April 28, 1975 - you can see the article explaining the impending Global Cooling crisis and the New Ice Age will starve millions of Americans by the year 2000!

The U.S. is better about emmissions now than it has been in the last 100 years - but that's not enough. We must go back to before cars - before horses - we need to go back to the standards set in the early 1,000 BC so we can be sure that our affect on earth is very minimal. Even candle flame might add too much silt back into the atmosphere... We need to all go Stone Age.

Don't go Green - Get Stoned!

All [non-political] washed up Vice Presidents should stick to what they know best - picking up dog poop in the yard before using the lawn mower.
This isn't about Al Gore and grandstanding with fallacy filled arguments. Global warming/climate change is very real and a scientific fact, the causes of it are certainly up for debate though. You saying global warming doesn't exist is akin to the people saying evolution doesn't exist. Sadly, there are a heck of a lot of those people running around as well.
Old 05/25/2007, 06:33 AM
Garbologist

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c..._id=&Issue_id=

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 05/25/2007, 07:03 AM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
This isn't about Al Gore and grandstanding with fallacy filled arguments. Global warming/climate change is very real and a scientific fact, the causes of it are certainly up for debate though. You saying global warming doesn't exist is akin to the people saying evolution doesn't exist. Sadly, there are a heck of a lot of those people running around as well.
The key point that every response has missed is the proof that Mankind, or more directly the United States, is to blame for warming/cooling/wetting/drying.

If Mars is warmer, and it is, it is because of us. As far back as there has been print there are a group of people attempting to assign blame for everything. That the sun is going through a period of increased activity isn't enough - you MUST find a group to blame it on.

It is as foolish as saying: "The Sun is shooting out flairs in response to sunglasses. The reflections bounce off the surface of the Sun causing giant flairs and warming the earth..."

After a while all the garbage spewed becomes nonsense. One volcano eruption spews more CO2 into the atmosphere than the U.S. has... EVER!

It is truly sad to watch the Blame America First crowd rally behind something they can not prove. It is quite evident in the posts even in this thread.

Each of you should be ashamed for confusing the issue and attempting to assign blame for something the earth and sun has done since created...

So take off those sunglasses - You are killing the earth!
Old 05/25/2007, 07:46 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

I'm just trying to decide where in central Georgia I should buy "soon to be beachfront" property

I love the warm. I hate the cold.

Who's coming over to my bi-weekly tire-burning party in the back yard this time?

ps, since this hobby is 100% exploitation of resources for our entertainment, NO ONE is justified in getting all green on anyone else around here. we are all fish murdering resource wasters.
The bigger the soapbox, the bigger size shoe in mouth.