Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Calfo's new book?

Back in January, I preordered Anthony Calfo's second edition of Coral Propagation. I was due out this month. Has any one seen it or heard anything about it?
Old 06/17/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Who is publishing it? Where did you pre-order from?
Old 06/18/2007, 01:06 PM
Professional Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by michika
Who is publishing it? Where did you pre-order from?
http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_preorder_bocp.html

That webpage says the book due to ship next month (July).

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 06/18/2007, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Steve, I asked Bob Fenner yesterday. He said that he'd recently talked with Anthony Calfo and had not heard an update. I looked at the web site the other day and didn't see the change in date that you pointed out. It originally said some time in June. This is great to hear! I can't wait to see this color edition.
Old 06/19/2007, 01:30 PM
Reefer Maniac

will there be much of a difference between this book and the 1st edition?
Old 06/19/2007, 02:18 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

September

I just received an update:

"Thanks kindly for your inquiry and your patience. We were estimating a July arrival for the book, but were given a wonderful opportunity to upgrade the new edition to hardcover at no extra cost to the pre-order customers!

The upgrade will take another 8-12 weeks. We are expecting a September arrival - give or take a few weeks. When we have a firm date on the shipping from the printer, we'll update you, my friend.

If the delay and upgrade do not suit you, please advise and we will make a prompt refund.

with kind regards,

Anthony"
Old 06/19/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks!
I received the same one today as well. I am looking forward to seeing soon!
For those of you that are interested in his books, check out this link. www.readingtrees.com
Old 08/10/2007, 02:59 PM
It All Depends

Still a month away! I cant wait.
Old 08/15/2007, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Me too!
Old 08/15/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Just received an email that it has been delayed until late October.
Anyone else get this email?
Old 08/15/2007, 08:48 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Yep. "The delay is estimated at about 12 weeks (late October is the new projection... the texts have to travel literally by boat). I will personally be hand-signing and packing them immediately on arrival for you."
Old 08/16/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

I am sure that it will be worth the wait!
Old 08/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs down

I received same info, October shipping. One of the reasons for delay..."decided to have printed overseas".
UMMMM wonder how that sits with US printers. I know how it makes one, out of work printer due to outsourcing, feel.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Any update on this?
Anyone get there book?
Old 11/15/2007, 08:18 AM
Membership Director/TBRC

Hope this is ok:

From Anthony Calfo

"Cheers, my friends

You are receiving this email because you are waiting for my new Book of Coral Propagation, or we chatted about it (dealers, club interests, etc). If I am mistaken or you don’t want to be contacted by email, please simply hit reply, type Remove in the subject field, and accept my apologies.

To all those otherwise interested… an update! J

Above all… let me ask anyone who’s email address (on pre-orders) has changed or will change before Christmas, to send me your updated mailing addy for the new book. Regarding the ETA, please allow me to summarize (though yes… by the grace of God it looks like we will still get this book before Christmas):

- it takes about 3-4 months to get a finished book from production, through pre-press to (body text) print, and then off to the bindery for covering
- after shipping (surface by truck and/or slow boat – literally - from overseas), we have to clear customs and then process the orders
- when we changed printers and upgraded the text (no extra charge to pre-order folks) to hardcover this past summer… it gave us a new ETA of Oct. 29th for the book to get to Los Angeles [it then has to truck to PA state for me to sign and send the pre-order copies]
- everything in the production sequence went smooth until the printed text got to the bindery. The bindery overscheduled and my new book sat in queue… delayed by another month. Arghhh!
- the pre-order folks and friends, myself… and now the dealers are chomping at the bit to get their hands on the book (good heaven’s… the Amazon.com prices on used copies of my first edition of this book are ridiculous! Flattering but ridiculous J)!
- Some dealers have begun to promote and take orders for the book… but note: all books come directly to me first, and all pre-order folks will get their books first! Mailers are sitting and ready to be posted immediately on the books’ arrival (and my signing them while hopped up on joint medication for a few days… ha!)

I dearly appreciate your patience and your reef hobby/science support. To reiterate… all pre-order folks get their books first (variously at the mercy of USPS holiday mail… but priority over days nonetheless).

We are now gunning for mid-December to ship the new edition. If you have any questions at all… please don’t hesitate to ask.

I will continue working on the new magazine in the interim and doing a bookless book tour at volunteer, hobby club events and coral propagation workshops.

with kindest regards, Anthony"
Old 11/17/2007, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

While it would be nice to have it already, I don't mind due to the upgrading he's done to the book, and hopefully it will be worth the wait.
Old 11/19/2007, 04:36 PM
Reefer Maniac

So really, what will the difference be, between this book and the first edition?
Old 11/19/2007, 09:26 PM
Wife and dog.

I told my wife tonight I wanted this book for Christmas, and she made me buy it for myself. When I was done paying for it she said "Merry Christmas." Bah humbug.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 12/10/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

The major difference is supposed to be that this one will have illustrations/photos.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Well, it is mid-December. Has anyone heard if the book will meet the last delivery schedule?
Old 12/11/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

I'm getting tired of waiting on the book. I passed up picking up a previous version thinking my copy would be arriving soon.

Has anyone heard any updates, other then the email posted above?
Old 12/11/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I heard from Anthony himself on a different form that it will definatly be shipped before xmas
Old 12/11/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Here is hoping. I hope that shipping before x-mas also means arrival before x-mas.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Seems as he may be running out of slow boat time............honestly, I am the patent type........really

If he stands a chance to deliver in the next twelve days, he better get busy - IMHO
Old 12/13/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

I pre-ordered mine clear back in February. Those corals that I was waiting on fragging are more ready now.