Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/02/2008, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

SAD SAD DAY in Nano's world..

today while admiring what is turning into a nice little nano reef primarily domintaed by SPS, i caught a shimmer of sorrow scampering about my tank...the culprit...RED BUGS.....last week i got an acro from a friend who was selling nice little tri coloured acro frags....a month before i got a blue tipped stag...that was doing really well...and i though why not try another acro then...his tank appeared clean as can be to the naked eye...

well after a week of no polyp extension i look a little closer at the frag...and those little yellow bastards are running around everywhere on it...in pure panic i uproot the frag from its epoxy home to inspect it closer in a bowl...using my 3X with my 2X and 1X macro lenses for my SLR i confirmed my fear...completely distraught i closely inspect my favorite floresent green acro(bought at a different source)...no bugs...woohoo....i then look at the blue tip stag that has been doing amazing the last few weeks...to my dismay it too is covered in them...well not covered but 5-10 per inch of frag (which is 4" long now)

i guess on the upside i finally get to rid my tank of the stupid mantis that has been decimating my blue leg hermit population...i was hoping in an effort to keep my pods alive i could put my cheato into a temporary quarantine that i will now have to setup with my remaining crabs and CBS....but the articles i have read all say that i should leave it be and just repopulate after the treatments...

the other option i have is leave it as is and not treat...enjoy my couple acro frags until they die (which may not happen) or i toss the 50$ worth of frags i have and let the tank sit for a month acro free and start again in February (which at this point sounds a whole lot easier then trying to convince a vet that my fish tank needs a 100lbs canine dose of interceptor..

my fear is that the frags of other stuff i have to sell like millies and birdsnest and monti's, that are already sold awaiting pickup, will act as host and infect other peoples tanks with these little buggers...i would sooner not bring that upon anyone...

so the question is:
SHOULD I KILL, OR SHOULD I THROW now?
if i kill there will be trouble, but if i dont it will be double..

will the red bugs use other corals as a means to get to other tanks?
[/end rant]

Grr and to top it all off my stupid long tentacle plate decided to breast stroke across my tank and kill two of my monti cap frags i had awaiting sale...

Last edited by NanoReefWanabe; 01/02/2008 at 03:59 PM.