Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Can I add an Achilles to the mix?

I have a 150 gal, 60x24x24,reef. I am thinking about adding an Achilles Tang. Would it be ok to do so with the following current livestock? :

3 small blue/green chromis
2 Ruby hooded Wrasses
1 yellow Corris Wrasse
1 Midas Blenny
1 purple Psuedochromis
1 Maroon Clown, not hosting
3 Lyrtail Anthias
1 Bar Goby
1 Scissortail Goby
1 Target Mandarin
1 4" Purple Tang
1 4" Vlamingi Tang ( I know he will grow real large)

Thank you,
Brock
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01
Old 12/29/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

I don't see why not. Be ready to deal with ICH though. Achilles are notorious for having trouble with ich. Also, the Vlamingi will have to go eventually. Otherwise I'm sure you'd be okay as far as agression issues go.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

possible but i dont think your purple will like it at all,plus 3 tangs in a 150 is pushing it.i have the exact tank you stated with 3 tangs,1 achilles,1 purple,and 1 mimic.overall they get along ok but lately i have been seeing elevated aggression levels between them.i am going to sell all my tangs and just get one new tang and a school of anthias.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

I don't see why not. Be ready to deal with ICH though. Achilles are notorious for having trouble with ich. Also, the Vlamingi will have to go eventually. Otherwise I'm sure you'd be okay as far as agression issues go.

Yea.. I thought about the ICH reputation.. This is one reason why I am hesitant.. As for the Vlamingi... hopefully he will not outgrow my tank too fast. I hear they grow pretty fast. But he will have to go to my friends after a year or so.

possible but i dont think your purple will like it at all,plus 3 tangs in a 150 is pushing it.i have the exact tank you stated with 3 tangs,1 achilles,1 purple,and 1 mimic.overall they get along ok but lately i have been seeing elevated aggression levels between them.i am going to sell all my tangs and just get one new tang and a school of anthias.

I think I will end up doing the same. I will get one Sohal and the rest smaller fish, non tangs.
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01
Old 12/29/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

i dont think it would work out. The achilles will become stressed from the purple harassing it and will surely break out with ICH. I would skip it or get rid of the purple (and probably both tangs)
Old 12/29/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

What about a yellow tang, sailfin, and achilles in an 120?? With a foxface and a couple of smaller fish???
Old 12/29/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr..Tang
What about a yellow tang, sailfin, and achilles in an 120?? With a foxface and a couple of smaller fish???
No, both the sailfin and achilles need much bigger tanks.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

achilles need a ton of room, a ton of flow, and a ton of oxygen. the more fish you have the less oxygen, and less room.

sailfins get gigantic! i have had one that was 14"!!
Old 12/29/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

so what would be a good combo of tangs? I have one yellon tang now.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

I am not a big fan of the Yellow Tangs, they are one of the more aggressive of the tang species. However, if you intend to keep him and would add a Chocolate or any other mimic tang, mostly due to your tank size restrictions. Mimics tend to stay in the 5-7" area and are hardy. I think you will have to break up the Yellows territory prior to adding another tang.

"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."

Jack Kerouac
Old 12/30/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

tanks to small and to crowed to add achilles. i also think it will stress and die from ich.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Primetime33

Yea.. I thought about the ICH reputation.. This is one reason why I am hesitant.. As for the Vlamingi... hopefully he will not outgrow my tank too fast. I hear they grow pretty fast. But he will have to go to my friends after a year or so.

I think I will end up doing the same. I will get one Sohal and the rest smaller fish, non tangs.
A Sohal will outgrow your tank, and most likely kill off any other fish. Sohals are the most aggressive tang.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

i'm 99% sure you can put one in but it'll die