Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2004, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Milwaukee pH Pocket Tester

Link to offer for pH tester as Custom Aquatics

I am usually of the camp that 'you get what you pay for'. I was originally going to go for a Pinpoint monitor, but if I can save 60 bucks and still get what I need, then why spend 60 bucks

Has anyone used this ph monitor, and if so, is it decent quality, and is the reading it gives reliable?
Old 10/01/2004, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

I have it, but haven't used it. It sells for $40-$50 on other sites. I'd like to hear what folks have to say about it as well.
Old 10/08/2004, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

That is a good deal. I am thinking of getting one also. Anyone got input?
Old 10/08/2004, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

i have a similar model, not that exact one, but it is made by milwaukee and it is a 100% POS. i have to calibrate it EVERY time i use and even then i dont trust the thing. maybe i have a bad unit or model, but it is a complete piece of garbage. I got it as a gift so i dont know where they got it, but it looks similar to the one posted, but is definatly not the same. maybe someone has experience with this one though.
Old 10/08/2004, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

I've got the exact one and I can't claim whether it is a pos or not. Compared to my test kit pH it is great. I tested last night after the meter had been just sitting in the cabinet for about a month and got a reading of 8.2. I checked the calibration when I recieved it and it was spot on. If I had another electronic to compare against it would help. My only grip, and something I don't really trust, is the +/- 0.2 resolution. That's a big margin of error IMO. If I would have checked that prior to purchasing, I wouldn't have gone through with the deal. All in all though, it seems to work fine. Not bad for the price
Old 10/08/2004, 01:47 PM
Secret Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramble On Rose
i have a similar model, not that exact one, but it is made by milwaukee and it is a 100% POS. i have to calibrate it EVERY time i use and even then i dont trust the thing. maybe i have a bad unit or model, but it is a complete piece of garbage. I got it as a gift so i dont know where they got it, but it looks similar to the one posted, but is definatly not the same. maybe someone has experience with this one though.
Did you keep the probe in KCl solution or pH 7 buffer? If the probe dries up the reading will be off, but if you soak it in the above mentioned you will get your right reading again without recalibrating.
Old 10/08/2004, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Navyblue
Did you keep the probe in KCl solution or pH 7 buffer? If the probe dries up the reading will be off, but if you soak it in the above mentioned you will get your right reading again without recalibrating.
i did do that originally when i got it, but i have not done it since. it has never worked continuesly, but this may at help. I will give it a try. thanks.
Old 10/08/2004, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramble On Rose
Good-bye mama and papa
Good-bye jack and jill
The grass ain’t greener
The wine ain’t sweeter
Either side of the hill.

Did you say your name was ramblin rose?
Ramble on baby, settle down easy
Ramble on rose.

Well, hearing this is not a good thing, and I didn't realize there was a .2 +/- margin for error, which is not acceptable in my eyes. I figured you get what you pay for, so a Pinpoint it will be.

Thanks for all the help folks!