Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

canon rebel xti

I'm going to go buy the canon digital rebel xti. Before I do I was wondering if there is anything bad about this camera. This camera is at the limit of my budget. A macro lense will come later. It will be my first slr camera. I have used one before and loved it but have never owned one. Is there any functionality differences between the silver and black bodies? Is this the best camera for this budget ($850)? I'm kind of set on this camera but I would look at any other worth while recommendations.

Thankyou,

Adam
Old 03/27/2007, 12:53 AM
Moved back in!

Adam,

I am about to buy an XTi as well to upgrade from my Digital Rebel (300D). All the reviews I've read have been pretty positive. IMO the only real weakness with this camera and my old Rebel is the "kit lens". It's pretty pathetic for a camera that is capable of such quality pix. I ended up shelving the kit lens and bought a Sigma 17-70mm for $350. An awesome lens especially for the price. I'll be using this on the XTi until I can afford to maybe get some Canon "L" glass! So I will be buying the XTi body only. A friend bought a new Rebel XT with a 28-135mm lens on close-out for $900 and change. This is a great deal if you wanted to go the XT route and invest in some better glass. The prices on B&H are pretty attractive. The silver and black models are both the same and totally cosmetic.

HTH,

Luis
Old 03/27/2007, 10:10 AM
------------

Hello,

The kit lens is nothing special, that's for sure. It's pretty much a freebie with the camera and so in that sense you're getting a canon lens with a decent zoom range for (essentially) nothing. Really though, most people people new to cameras won't be limited by this lens. Check out some examples here,

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_s_1855_35

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/e...ital_rebel_xti

I have been shooting with an XTi for several months now.

Drawbacks...

-Smaller than most DSLR's. This is totally preference however. Depending on hand size, intended use etc.... Go to the store and see how it feels compared to the larger cameras.

- No spot metering. This hasn't been too limiting as it's metering system is not bad, but from what I understand having spot metering may make the extra difference.

-It's plastic, while others feel more solid. That being said, it's not a daintly little machine. I'm not worried about breaking it or anything of the sort.

-LCD display only. Some other cameras have a smaller screen on the top of the body --> easier to view in bright light. But really, not too limiting for the average user.

I would definately recommend this camera. If you can sacrifice a few megapixels it is worth looking at the 30D (though more expensive). Although, there really isn't anything profoundly different between the two.

In the end, you can't go wrong with this camera. Most importantly however you'll need some good glass infront of it. Budget accordingly.

Cheers,

Rosseau

The big LCD is awesome and is what really sold me on the XTi over the XT.
Old 03/27/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

If you are interested in the Canon XTi, you might check Office Depot. I heard they were on sale (20% off) IN STORE ONLY.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi w/ Lens ($719.99 + tax) at Office Depot
Old 03/28/2007, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I went to best buy and they price matched it for $798.76 I printed of an ad for sams club. They also price matched a gig of ultra II cf for $36.28. I'v been looking for a camera for a long time. I love it so far. I bought it knowing that I will have to spend some cash on glass but that will have to wait for a while. One reason that I was looking at the xti was the feel. I looked at a 30D in store and it was just to big for me. Thats awsome about office depot. However the closest one is 100 miles away. I didn't buy the incidental warrenty but I'm thinking I should of. It was $120 for four years and it would cover any of my f ups and it came with a spare battery.
Old 03/29/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Last edited by sidd129; 03/29/2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03/29/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I want the zoos!!!!
Very nice.
Old 03/29/2007, 04:39 PM
------------

sorry, what camera did you go with? Did I miss that? I especially like the anem/clown pic!
Old 03/29/2007, 04:39 PM
------------

nm.. clearly the xti.
Old 04/27/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

I just picked up a Canon XTi w/ 18-55mm lens kit today.
They are on sale at Dell for $647 if you are interested (until May 5th)

Just started looking for the 100mm macro lens too....
Old 04/27/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Ouch, I picked mine up for $790.
Old 04/27/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

I looked on dell and the one w/o the lens is $679.15. The one w/ is $764.15
Old 04/28/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Here is the coupon for it:

Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 MP w/ 18-55m Lens $899
- 25% coupon 985CK046STJX0N
- 4% DPA savings = $647

(Also, free shipping)

I found this deal from slickdeals.net
Old 04/28/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

You can't go wrong with the Canon XTi. I got mine with the kit lens and used it till I got a 28-135. I looked at larger cameras, but liked the smaller body, and this camera does more than I'll ever need. Now I want an auxillary flash.....
Old 04/28/2007, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

sidd129,
IMO I would not purchase the BB performance plan. I have had the same camera repaired, under their plan, 3 times in the last year, the same problem every time. I just took it back (forth time) to BB to get a NEW camera under their lemon policy (3 times in for same repair get a new camera of equal value). They would not honor it. Said they could send it in for repairs again (BS) but would not give me a new camera. They did offer me an open box of the same camera (more BS). Many calls to their home office and they still gave me the run around. If you search the web you will see that their plan is real garbage. I wish I would have known this before when I purchased it from BB.

So, if Canon offers and extended warranty that is what I would get.
Old 04/28/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Demon, what kept breaking on your camera?
Old 04/28/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

I did buy the camera about a month ago. I also did get the replacement warrenty. Mostly because I rock climb and I could see myself dropping the camera off of a cliff or something by accident. They had two different warrenty plans. I hope I get what I paid for. Now I just need to get a better lens. I guess theres no getting around the fact that if you wait long enough you will always find it somewhere that costs less.
Old 04/29/2007, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

bigfish52,
It was the on/play/off switch and the zoom would only work sometimes.

sidd129,
Just as long as you are happy with your purchase of their "performance" plan.

Just to add a note to this,
"Mostly because I rock climb and I could see myself dropping the camera off of a cliff or something by accident"
They will not warranty this!! They will claim misuse. Trust me, I know (happened with our MINT condition camcorder). If the salesman said they would he is lying to you. It is one of their tactics.

Like I said before, I would go for the Canon warranty. I'm just trying to help and not belittle your purchase. The camera is great and good luck with it.
Old 04/29/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Well, I hope I don't have to use it then. It does say in the printed brochure that it coveres "product failure due to an unexpected and unintentional external event (drop or liquid spill) that arise from your normal daily usage of the product." I see how I could get burnt on the normal daily usage. I guess I will have to figure out what normail daily usage is in case I dropped it there instead of rock climbing......