Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/14/2007, 01:51 PM
Moved Onward

Well, I was hesitant to buy the stuff since it was so pricey and it comes in such a small bottle. I figured if they are so sure it's gonna work, then give enough of it in case of stubborn cases.
Ayways, when I first set up my in-wall, I transfered all my fish into it and later added a few more w/o qt'n. Got ich and within a couple of weeks, every fish died but my marroon clowns. A very costly loss. After a couple of months, I restocked the tank and everything looked fine for a couple of weeks and then I noticed the dreaded ich on the fish at night. I added cleaner shrimp and they'd go to work on the larger fish but never touching the smaller ones. The ich would seem gone during the day only to reappear at night so I figured it's a light case of ich and will go away as the fish settle in and build up immunity since I've always added garlic to their diet. Eventually, the ich became apparent during the day too. Fish still swimming around actively and since we are talking well over a month since I added them to tank, I figured just keep giving them garlic. Well, months go by(at least 6mos) and garlic not doing the trick but fish still swimming with ich. I finally caved in and spent the money for this product. The first 2 days I doubled the dose, I wanted to double the dose the first week but as mentioned, not enough in bottle to make it last long enough if need be. I can't remember how long I was able to treat the tank with normal dosage afterwards, I'm guessing two more weeks but by the last treatment, all the ick was gone after dealing with it for months. I still have all the fish that were treated nearly a year ago. I only went this route because there is no way being able to remove all my fish into a qt and after losing all my fish the first time, I couldn't afford to be able to replace them all a 2nd time and the $55 cost of this stuff is much cheaper than replacing the fish I didn't want to lose yet again. I feel this stuff might work for light cases of ich with healthier fish. Strong cases were fish are looking quite sickly might be a bit too late for it to work. Even with copper, since just about all lf's use it in their tanks, fish still succumb to ick.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 07/14/2007, 02:36 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
Larry i see there still sponsors

I promise that your concerns/complaints have been heard. It's in more powerful hands than mine, now.
I know you'd like to see a change effective immediately, but we live in a world of contracts and legalities. I have to ask you to be patient.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 07/14/2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

ask Chris to be what???????
Old 07/14/2007, 08:00 PM
How many is too many?

My ick started off like yours. It wasnt till after i started treating that it exploded. Tyler said "the product is doing what its designed to do" So after loosing all my fish i have "no sick fish"
Old Yeller thanks for the feedback but your in the minority from what ive seen! Im glad it worked for you.
Larry I patiently watched my fish die. Id say thats pretty patient LOL Anyway i do understand but didnt realize it was a long process! Till its removed i will keep this threead alive and other threads on other message boards spreading the word. So far only 1 person has had luck with this product.
Old 07/18/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Hi All, I put a post up I think in may about my clown that was 40% or so covered in ich. I got this stuff call Ich Attack from Dr F's
I know there was a lot of debate, but the ich is gone and still has not come back. With in 3 days of treatment the ich was starting to go away. 3 months later no sign. I know there is cycles and could be a coincidence, but until I need to try again, I say it worked. No issues with corals or inverts either. Sorry if I started another heated debate. I have most of a 16 oz bottle if any one wants to try some to confirm??
Old 07/18/2007, 05:42 PM
How many is too many?

No heated debate. If it worked for you then great. I may take you up on the offer and try it. I still have 1 or 2 fish with ick
Old 07/18/2007, 06:31 PM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
I still have 1 or 2 fish with ick
That's a lot of real estate for 3 eels
Old 07/18/2007, 07:59 PM
How many is too many?

Pretty much and its 4 eels! In hindsight i should have mailed Tyler all my dead fish and the empty bottle of weeeeeeee
Old 07/18/2007, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Hello bolt696,
did that stuff work really work that well? I just set up a 150 gallon and I have 1 dogface puffer in it and it has ich, I'm trying not to tear the tank down to cure it.
Thanks
Old 07/18/2007, 10:40 PM
10 & Over Club

The Ick Attack is another pepper based remedy. Like the rest of the "reef safe remedies", the success rate tends to be the same as tossing a coin. Occasionally the fishes own immune system manages to kick the ick, just often enough that sometimes it makes it seem that the so called "reef safe remedies" work.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 07/19/2007, 05:00 AM
How many is too many?

Thanks Bill. Ive tried the pepper based stuff before. Cant remember the name though
Old 07/19/2007, 06:22 AM
10 & Over Club

IIRC, Chem Marin was the first to come out with it. Then Kent naturally came out with a copy, and now there's a whole bunch of different BBQ sauces on the market to "cure ick"

Old 07/20/2007, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

Bill is the expert and know a lot more about the life cycle than me, but from an average joe with a fish tank, dumping this stuff in seemed to work. I sware I have no more ich for 3 or 4 months now.
Old 07/20/2007, 11:41 AM
Moved Onward

What kind of corals do you have in your tank? I recently added a regal angel and for precautionary measures, would like to keep something readily at hand since I lost a gorgeous regal during my first ich outbreak among other pricey fish.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!
Old 07/20/2007, 12:08 PM
10 & Over Club

Old Yeller Tang,

The only reliable precautionary measure is quarantine. Any of the so called reef safe ich remedies at best, have a success rate on par with just tossing a coin or merely doing nothing but letting it run it's course. I've taken advantage of my years working in the trade to test these so called reef safe cures in the hope that one day someone might actually come up with one that works. I'm still waiting.

Old 07/20/2007, 07:54 PM
How many is too many?

Hopefully some day a company will find something that actually works. Till then all us unsuspecting aquariasts continue to keep these companies in business. My Sohal who was pretty covered in ick and couldnt see for awhile seems to be recovering now. he can see and eats readily and has alot less ick! *knock wood*
Old 12/03/2007, 11:16 PM
CMAS Member!

Well...wish I read this an hour ago...got some NSF for ick....So did I read right no UV. Or should I treat NSF for the halibut and continue to garlic feed, skim and uv? I'm at a loss because I don't feel I can qt all fish. I'll never get my spawning banggi out without removing the rock first with corals...maybe that's what I will have to do. I have read the suggested few articles and then ran off the the lfs for medication and NSF was recommended, maybe I can school him on this product. ....I'm at a loss....see what happens tomorrow after some sleep.
Carl
One fish of 12 shows sighns. Saw six spots for two days on a blue tang, gone for three now there are 15-20+....Sounds like the ick cycle I read about.
Old 12/04/2007, 08:00 AM
10 & Over Club

In a light case, the garlic might work for you. However, still be prepared to remove all fish to treat with either copper or hyposalinity if necessary. As for the NSF, return it and get your money back if you haven't opened the bottle yet.

Old 12/04/2007, 08:48 AM
CMAS Member!

Well I was planning a re-aquascaping, so I guess now will be the time...my only concern is will three tangs(Yellow, Purple, and blue), three wrasses(two Green coris and a Six lined), a pair of percs, a pair of banggi, yellow tail damsel, all get along in my 20gal tall qt?
Old 12/04/2007, 12:09 PM
10 & Over Club

Going to need something bigger than a 20. I'd go with a large rubbermaid plastic storage container. They are cheap and have plenty of space

Old 12/04/2007, 03:32 PM
How many is too many?

As Bill said thats the way to go. Those 2 methods are the only thing that will work. Garlic may or may not work. If its only a few spots id just watch them for a few days and see if it gets better or continues to get worse. NSF is pee water and should be reguarded as such. Its all about the money for them and there product does NOT work.
Old 12/04/2007, 04:12 PM
CMAS Member!

Maybe I can rig up a 55g long and put in some dividers and get all the fish out.