Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/09/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

black dot are possibly egg?

I starting puzzled that Romeo, (male ocellaris) been stay one corner near the glass tank. since three days.. Juilet, female been swimming around. I don't know why he stayed all the time, I decided to check it out and saw some black dots on the glass and Romeo been shield them.. so its possible that black dots are babies? need let me know so I can shut down one powerhead and leave one powerhead to operate. That eggs are near overflow box, how I can to prevent eggs goes to overflows..

any idea? I am open to this.....

Of Course I am freaking... but very curious about it... I would do something for boths..
Old 07/09/2007, 05:37 PM
Moved On

i sure hope they are not eggs because healthy clown eggs would be orange and quite large. also the male clown will fan them with is tail to sort out bad eggs. clowns lay their eggs on hard flat surfaces near their host(anemone or coral. if they are eggs they may not hatch because it is not normal to have black eggs. healthy eggs hatch in 4-7 days. also they lay about 250 eggs at a time.
Old 07/09/2007, 05:39 PM
Moved On

good luck with your clowns. anemones put a coating around clown eggs to protect them. for healthy eggs feed your clowns a wide variety of food.
Old 07/09/2007, 05:45 PM
Moved In

Maybe they are, well in the process of hatching. While they are orange when first laid, they turn brownish, to silver. I can always tell when they will hatch, by how silver they look to me. I've not been wrong in 6 batches.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!

Last edited by dc; 07/09/2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jubbers
i sure hope they are not eggs because healthy clown eggs would be orange and quite large. also the male clown will fan them with is tail to sort out bad eggs. clowns lay their eggs on hard flat surfaces near their host(anemone or coral. if they are eggs they may not hatch because it is not normal to have black eggs. healthy eggs hatch in 4-7 days. also they lay about 250 eggs at a time.
Male still stay where the "eggs" he refused leave the area, so I don't know how long they have been there. I look at th picture, its look like brown to silver. so I guess there been 4 days..

My wife want to see if it make throught. Tomorrow I will get 5 gallon tank with airstone and see what happened.

We are interesting in SW and learn about their lifespan.

Quote:
Maybe they are, well in the process of hatching. While they are orange when first laid, they turn brownish, to silver. I can always tell when they will hatch, by how silver they look to me. I've not been wrong in 6 batches.
Yes its brown, hard to see if color silver because I can't access where they laid the egg. I will look at it when dusk.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:57 PM
Moved In

I haven't gotten this yet, but I plan on it sometime. Once they start laying, it seems like there is always eggs. I'm betting it is eggs.

http://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Jo...4025358&sr=8-1

Old 07/09/2007, 07:00 PM
Moved On

i hope your fry make it ok enjoy the beauty of baby clowns
Old 07/09/2007, 07:38 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by jubbers
Really? How does fanning them with his tail sort out bad eggs?

What species has eggs that hatch in 4 days? Seven days is about the earliest I've heard, with 8-10 being the norm.

Kevin
Old 07/09/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Should I take the eggs into 5 gallon tank with airstone or leave it alone? someone told me if I siphone them and cause to break the eggs and eggs wll not survive?

I did feed the both with forzen with garlic extreme and also frozen mysis.

Tomorrow I will stop the lfs to get retoits (sp?) to feeding the eggs
Old 07/09/2007, 07:46 PM
Moved In

I would get the book first. Let this batch be practice. From my understanding people keep track of when they are going to hatch and are ready to siphon them up as they hatch, or they put in whole tiles for them to lay on and remove that at the proper time.

Old 07/09/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

agreed with you, will be better for second time or many times insted of first time. I will get the book from border or BN to see if they have.
Old 07/12/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Usually the first couple of clutches aren't as healthy (the parents don't exactly have it down to an art yet). What you need to do is start monitoring when they lay the eggs and how long it takes before they hatch (eggs will be silver - hatch in darkness). This will help you get ready by having green water, rotifers, and brine shrimp prepared at the exact time they are needed (if they are prepared too early, they may be too big for the fry, lose nutritional value, etc.) and you will learn exactly which night you will need to scoop out the fry. If you are uncertain about what all is required to raise fry, get a copy of the Joyce Wilkeron's "Clownfishes" book that lays out the basics for raising clown fry, etc. Good luck!!!