Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Compatibility???

Hey i just bought a new green carpet anemone bout the size of maybe 3 inches max and its been in the tank for about 3 days and also i have is two 1 inch false percula clowns... the thing is why dont they like go near the anemone???
Old 12/04/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Time!!!!!
Old 12/04/2007, 09:15 AM
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Time!!!!!
+1

Just because you have the natural host, does not mean that they will host it instantly. Every thing that has to do w/ nature takes time. And this hobby takes time and patience. Plus, one thing that is not on your side, is the size of the anemone. It would be better noticed being +5/6" in diameter, versus, the 3" one you have.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

oh man bad news the carpet ate my clownfish at 3 in the morning and i just had to return it to my lfs and i got some new anemone like long tentacles and purple colour pretty big bout 6 " what's the name does anyone know?
Old 12/05/2007, 07:43 AM
problem algae grower

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
+1

Just because you have the natural host, does not mean that they will host it instantly. Every thing that has to do w/ nature takes time. And this hobby takes time and patience. Plus, one thing that is not on your side, is the size of the anemone. It would be better noticed being +5/6" in diameter, versus, the 3" one you have.
I imagine he person in question had a haddoni, not a natural host for percs, ocellaris.
Its sound like you now have a m. doreensis, lta, again not a natural host for these fish but much less likely to eat them.

More reasearch needed in future maybe.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

when i bought it form my lfs a maroon clown was hosting it and so i bought it i think i got its name already.. purple tip anemone i think...
Old 12/06/2007, 07:20 AM
Lazy reefer

For ID of the anemone, picture is the best. Without picture, everything is a wild guess. Not all host anemones will accept A. ocellaris (common clownfish, percula clownfish). Some will eat them as you find out.
Please try to learn more about them before you buy or place them together. Anemones are notorious for difficult to keep. You will need a mature well run tank to keep them (1+ year at least). You should learn more and get more experience before keeping them.
Pay attention to Adtravels. It seem like the fist anemone you had was a S. haddoni which ate you clown. The one you have now may be a M doreensis which may also eat your clown.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:24 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by timjoemak
when i bought it form my lfs a maroon clown was hosting it and so i bought it i think i got its name already.. purple tip anemone i think...
If it was $15 or less, expect that to be a Condylactis species.

Not a great choice.

As suggested, post some pictures, slow down on the purchases.

Only bad things happen quickly in marine aquariums.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:38 AM
clownfish fan

from the size of the anemone i would guess it was an atlantic carpet.... that would explain the clownfish snack.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

so yeah any one knows what this anemone is called and will it actually accept the false percula??? i hope it will though..
Old 12/07/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

This anemone any one?
Old 12/07/2007, 03:26 PM
Lazy reefer

Does it have a red or orange column on the bottom and tan on top?
It look like a M. doreensis, need better picture espeically of the column to be sure.
M. doreensis may eat percula or ocellaris, but less likely to do this than S. haddoni carpet. I is the natural host of pink skunk, and a few other clown fishes. Check FAQ sticky at the begin of this forum to see the complete list of compatible fishes.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

yes it has a orange reddy colour at the bottom
Old 12/08/2007, 02:59 AM
Registered Member

well will it ever host the false percula???? chances???
Old 12/08/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

maybe maybe not... Not all clowns will go to an anemone. They do not need one to survive... Tank raised clowns will host almost anything they feel comfortable with... ie: toadstools, heaters, powerheads, and many other odd things...
Old 12/08/2007, 09:54 AM
Lazy reefer

With orange foot, there is no doubt that it is a M. doreensis. It is not the natural host of A. ocellaris but there are Ocellaris clowns living in it in captivity. It can also eat the Ocellaris. I am not experience enough to say which is more likely. I have heard this both ways. Once the anemone accepted the fish then they are OK together.
FWIW, I have a A. percula pair living in my S. haddoni.
Old 12/08/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

is my anemone called the long tentacled anemone or something like that well i think i should give it time to see how it will work out... hopefully it will host it... oh yes another question why does my anemone move and is there a way of not making it move????
Old 12/08/2007, 10:42 AM
Lazy reefer

The most common name associated with your anemone is Long tentacle anemone (LTA). But other anemone also call LTA. That is the nature of common name, unclear.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

well then is there anyway making sure that it does not move i am currently putting it on a piece of live rock but it seems to be moving an suggestions?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:45 PM
Lazy reefer

They are sand dwelling anemone, and will need a sand bed to do well and stay put.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

will they stick onto rocks???
Old 12/13/2007, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

In the above thread you mention that you've only been in the hobby a few weeks, and you've got a 1.5g pico that's being upgraded to a 3g pico. This is pretty important information to include when asking questions about your anemone!

OrionN is very knowledgeable - if he says the nem needs sand, take his advice! Some anemones want to live in/on rocks, some prefer to bury their column in sand; it's the way they've evolved, and you can't fight it. Anemones go where they're happiest, so if yours needs sand don't try to place it on the rockwork, as it won't stay. Let it wander until it's happy.

That said, I can't imagine any anemone doing very well under a 13W PC lamp in a pico.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:08 AM
Lazy reefer

In a 3 g tank, you cannot keep any clownfish hosting anemone. It is just too small. Try a Condylactis gigantea (non hosting Atlantic anemone)
Your light also just too little for any host anemone. I would just return any anemone you got back to the LFS. They have no chance in your nano tank, in a beginner's hand. I have an Onyx A. percula pair that accepted a Condylactis gigantea as host. This is in a 20 g bare bottom tank in my Son's class room. I donated this to the school and my son (8 year old) is tanking care of it. I help him a little with water change in the weekend and bring in RO water for top off. He is feeding the tank also. Everything is automatic on timer with minimal care. His teacher is an animal, fish lover but never have a reeftank. She is keeping an eye on things and call me if there is any problem.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

well i thought that the atlantic anemone doesnt host any fish?
Old 12/14/2007, 09:33 AM
------------

timjoemak,

I understand that you are here asking questions - this is good. However, in your replies you seem to ignore large pieces of advice.

I'm wondering why you aren't even awknowledging the people who tell you that you are just going to kill all of these animals and waste your own time and money.

People really do want you to have fun with this, they want you to have a nice healthy tank that you enjoy. The advice being given is not with ill intentions.

Or, are you more experienced that you're letting on to?