Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/21/2006, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

high reading w/ milwaukee orp meter but not running ozone

I got a milwaukee orp controller (Sm-125) about 3 weeks ago and even since day 1 it been reading high as anything. It ranges from 440-490.

So i called Milwaukee 2 weeks ago and they told me to put the probe in a bottle of water from the store and tell them the readings. The meter read 440 out of "Poland Springs" water. So they told me it was either the probe or the meter was bad becuase bottle water is not going to read that high. So first they send out a probe, that read the same thing as the first one. Then they said it must be the meter, so thet sent me out a new meter, now for the past 5 days now the new meter is reading exactly the same as the other one. 450ish avg. and in the bottle water it is reading 438.

So i called them today again and they told me that bottle water is that high and the meter was tested before it went out and it was in the right range. So my question for any is why is my orp ranging that high with out adding ozone and can someone put their orp probe in some poland springs water and tell me what they get.

It doesn't make any sense to me becuase my water is not crystal clear and I do have that yellow tint to the water. Any input would be great.

Thank you
Nick
Old 03/21/2006, 09:37 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

I have the same unit, and found that it gets "coated" with organics, or something, rapidly--giving a falsely elevated ORP.

Try soaking the probe tip in white vinegar for 10 minutes (Orp will be almost 600) then return the probe to the tank and see what happens.

I soak my probe twice weekly. If I lapse, the ORP reading slowly rises to 450+. I get 360-380 right after cleaning, which I take as accurate.

John
Old 03/22/2006, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

I understand that, even when I get done cleaning mine it goes right to 450ish.. Right now I have it in my sump, is that a good place for it?

Thanks
Nick
Old 03/22/2006, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

I just got my Milwaukee about 3 months ago. I clean mine twice a week in 2 parts white vinegar, 1 part Ro/Di water, let it soak for about 40 minutes while I do other maintenance and then take a Q-tip and clean the probe gently. I keep my orp at 370 on my Ozone. so when it creeps up to 390 I know to clean it.