Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/02/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Tap Water

Today i made side-by-side test with Water from my home Tap and water i bought from local pet store and to my surprise both test came exactly the same

Temp.= 78.4
PH = 8.0
Ammonia= 0.0
Nitrite= 0.0
Nitrate= 0.0

i did test 3 times and 3 times i got the same results. my question is can i use my tap water? instead of driving 40min. to store and buy water?

Its for 2.5 gallon pico.

thank you
Old 09/02/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Many will tell you it depends on your tap water. Your utility department shoud be able to give you the stats of your water. I understand that it can change at times - even though it's from the same source. So i suppose it could be good now but maybe not later as they add stuff to it.

For 12 years that's all I've used is tap, and that's from two different cities in that timespan.

Most swear by RO/DI and if I could afford it I might too... Until then I'll continue to use tap.

Harbour
Old 09/02/2007, 02:01 PM
Team RC Member

What you tested for isn't the problem with tap water. Its things like chloramines, silica and metals.

Ro/Di is recommended but if you must use tap, at least treat the water with one of the many available detoxifying products on the market like Amquel or Prime.
Old 09/02/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Ok thanks
Old 09/02/2007, 07:16 PM
Team RC Member

You need a TDS or conductivity meter to test your water with. Thats what will tell the story.
Old 09/02/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Tap water can vary a lot. It is certainly not ideal to use. Right now I am using it in my reef and not having any problems but I wouldn't advise it, especially if you keep any really challenging corals.
Old 09/02/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

So far i only have a live sand and live rock in the tank. and i do buy my water from my Local Pet Shop, i guess i will keep on doing that for now.
Old 09/03/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

maybe your pet store is using tap water and selling it off as something better then that