Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 08:47 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Exclamation MARS - Make it your own in 2008!

As VP-elect for 2008; let me get a jump start on seeing what my constituents wish to see at their club meeting. All ideas are welcomed and I REALLY would appreciate any and all offers to present by subject matter experts, or those who know subject matter experts - yes obligate your friends, they will thank you for it!

I plan to do a good mix of speaker presentations, club mingling meetings, and local DIYs/101 utorials, and other cool topics that people really want to see.

Here are the speakers we are actively soliciting and/or planning to solicit this year:
Kelly Jedlicki - Reef fish health, diseases, and treatment (confirmed for Jan 08)
Sanjay Joshi - Reef Lighting (95% confirmed for Feb 08)
Anthony Calfo - Topic TBD
Steve Tyree - Topic TBD
Bob Fenner - Topic TBD

Topics people want to see:
Reef Photography tricks and techniques
Clams, clams, clams!
Diving and reef inhabitant collection

Let me know what you want, and what you think about what I have got so far. Lets do this!

Last edited by MrMikeB; 01/10/2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

My greatest concern as a reef hobbyist is responsible reefing.

One aspect of this is improving our husbandry skills and knowledge. I think the club does a good job of this.

However, I think there is another side to responsible reefing that is not discussed as publicly.

I'd love to see conservation, captive breeding, self-sustainability, or any other similar topic discussed within the club. Not only do I think such information is vitally important, I strongly feel, as a club of hobbyists, it is our duty to at least be educated in these areas.

Thanks for enduring my rants...
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/10/2008, 09:05 PM
I'm all wet!

For photo taking subject, maybe you could get Alex to speak if he isnt busy. He takes awesome photos. Im no where near his Level (YET)

Its Only $100 Dollars dear....
Old 01/10/2008, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

Something I'd like to see, and maybe Steve (funman) can help out with, is electricity and how it relates to our reef setups. Such as, how to figure out when we need a dedicated circuit, how to do general wiring similar to what melev did in building a reef electrical box with switches, etc. I have just enough knowlege of electrical wiring to be dangerous.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:13 AM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Oh don't be shy now... all these views and so little responses, lets hear your ideas! Help me out people!

Mark, I am so onboard with your point of view. Hell, check out my little red house linking my web page and you will understand just how important this is to me.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:15 AM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Steve was a big hit last year with my 6 yr old - he still wants to put the electrical cord in water to see if it really will trip the GFCI like he saw Steve do at the meeting.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

I love to have Matt Wandell talk about fish. Or maybe learn more about the new Steinhart Aquarium.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Looks like you've got some really good speakers. I would definetley be interested in some diy also like a skimmer, or just learning how to work with acrylic. So far i've really enjoyed every meetin i've been to and it seems like we've got a great year ahead of us. Thanks for all the hard work.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefugee
... learn more about the new Steinhart Aquarium.
ditto.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer