Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/17/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Does the brand of Lugol's matter?

I am looking to buy some Lugol's to start dipping my corals. My question is does the brand matter or are they all basically the same as far as ingredients and concentration? If they are not, what are the better brands?
Old 11/17/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Lugol's is the brand. It's just a more concentrated solution of iodine. I use Seachem Reef Dip because that's what is available.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Well, I have found 5 different companies that make Lugol's solution and I was wondering if there was a difference between each companies version.
Old 11/17/2007, 06:07 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I use Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure to do my dipping and it works great. Its all kind of the same thing...iodine solution.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 11/17/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

That is kind of what I figured, and I already ordered TMPCC, but I have read that the Lugol's is better for zoa dips and I also need it to kill asterina starfish. I know the Lugol's can be concentrated to 40 drops/gallon in SW so I figured it would have a better chance at killing the stars. Thanks for the replies
Old 11/18/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

I would guess the TMPCC would work just as well for dipping zoas as the Lugol's. I usually just dip my zoas in some fresh water and drop them in the tank. Unless I see a pest, then it gets the Lugol's dip.

I thought only Kent Marine made Lugol's? Well with the actual name of Lugol's anyway.
Old 11/18/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Lugol's solution is a solution of potassium iodide and iodine in water with a bit of an alcohol to make the iodine soluble. Usually it is a bit of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), but it could be either ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or methanol (methyl alcohol). You'd have to check the bottle for the type of alcohol and its percentage in the solution.

Most drug stores carry it, just look or ask. The strength of the solution may not be what you're after though, but it maybe a cheaper alternative.

ChemLife