Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 03:38 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Quarantine system is one step closer!

Hey all. Thought I would share some pics showing some forward momentum on the Project. The shop has been put on hold until the weather warms. Apparently the epoxy does not bind to the floor if the temp drop below 55. Sooo... I wanted to make use of the weekend and decided it would be time to plumb the coral QT system. Given all the equipment is used, I am running tap water to flush out any leaks, etc. I will then add the equipment to bring it to full operation.

I still need a few pieces, and am trying to be as conservative as possible regarding costs. So let me know if you are selling:
Live rock (loads)
Big skimmer (approx 300 gal)
T5 lights - 8 x54 watt, 48" (need 3)
I have the UV, chiller, heater, and will probably spring for a controller.

Thanks Paul for your help this weekend!

Bosco, my little helper... Who woulda thought PVC could be so tasty?

Top view before any water - simple straight forward design.

Underneath the beast.

"1... somethings got to give! 2... something's got to give! 3... somethings got to give! Now, let the water hit the FLLLOOOORRRRR!!"
Old 12/30/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: Quarantine system is one step closer!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMikeB

"1... somethings got to give! 2... something's got to give! 3... somethings got to give! Now, let the water hit the FLLLOOOORRRRR!!"
I am suing you for copyright violations...I made that song you thief!

Let the water hit the floor....Let the water hit the floor.... Let the water hit the floooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
Old 12/30/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Mike,

Looks sick!

Hey get the reeflo 250 skimmer i really wanna see that bad boy in action
Old 12/30/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

What! the floors aren't heated? We have to wait until things warm up to see that 2,000g megaplex?

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need epoxy on the floor? Is it so that the concrete doesn't absorb any spillage?

Also, just curious, where did you pick up the white tub? It looks a bit like a grape harvesting container.

It's all very cool Mike, we (the reefing community at large), look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:06 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by mike1962
What! the floors aren't heated? We have to wait until things warm up to see that 2,000g megaplex?

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you need epoxy on the floor? Is it so that the concrete doesn't absorb any spillage?

Also, just curious, where did you pick up the white tub? It looks a bit like a grape harvesting container.

It's all very cool Mike, we (the reefing community at large), look forward to seeing your progress.
No, no heated floors - just a concrete slab. Concrete is very porous and will absorb the salt that is sure to accumulate. The epoxy serves a couple purposes. One - it makes it look snazzy, and two - seals the floor from all the chemicals and allows me to squeegee away the water to the drains.

Those white bins are commonly found in the wholesale/retail LFS biz. I wish I had a good line on a couple more, but I picked these (and the entire QT system) all up used from John from Your Reef a little while ago when he was clearing out some nifty stuff. (thanks John!)

I actually am working on heating the shop so that the concrete 'warms' and then applying the epoxy. I do not plan to have these massive tanks in my garage forever. The floor has to be at least above 55 to set properly (even if its 40 outside).
Old 12/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Mike,

Kudos to you for setting a great example by creating a dedicated system for QTing your animals. It looks like it will be a top notch system.

We use a lot of those grape harvesting bins at work--41 in total. We had to replace around 10 because of cracks in the bottom, right in the center. The bottom bows out with water/rocks/etc. They are simply not designed to be filled with water. I would strongly suggest placing an "X" made of 2x4s under the bin to brace the bottom panel before making your final fill.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:08 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Re: Re: Quarantine system is one step closer!

Quote:
Originally posted by pbetito
I am suing you for copyright violations...I made that song you thief!

Let the water hit the floor....Let the water hit the floor.... Let the water hit the floooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
As of this AM - things are humming along smoothly. No leaks and no water hitting the floor!
Old 12/30/2007, 04:10 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Wandell
Mike,

The bottom bows out with water/rocks/etc. They are simply not designed to be filled with water. I would strongly suggest placing an "X" made of 2x4s under the bin to brace the bottom panel before making your final fill.
Brilliant idea! When I drain the tap water out, I will be sure to add this mod. I see the fiberglass bins all the time at shops, wholsale outfits, etc. Are they same grade as the ones used for grapes?
Old 12/30/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMikeB
Brilliant idea! When I drain the tap water out, I will be sure to add this mod. I see the fiberglass bins all the time at shops, wholsale outfits, etc. Are they same grade as the ones used for grapes?
I was wondering that myself. Maybe the shops and wholesalers have bracing underneath too? That bin looks identical to the ones we have at work, right down to the cross bracing on the side and where we install the bulkhead. I can check the mfg. info next time I'm in and relay it here. It should be printed in that larger square right above where your bulkhead is.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Progress! Gotta love it. Regarding the skimmer and pump, this should do the job for you. And I have an offer you can't refuse PM me if interested.

Last edited by KMP; 12/30/2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:01 PM
My tank is too full

Looks good Mike. I like seeing the progress.

To thine own self be true
Old 12/30/2007, 08:00 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Still loads more to do! Thank you all for your continued support.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Mike,

If you ever need help even lifting or what anything give me a call if you still have my number or PM me
Old 12/31/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Looks good Mike. Keep the updates coming. Thanks for your expetice on the camers recommendation. I could never make up my mind between the Nikon and Canon so I let CL decide. I scaned for a macro lens for weeks and was able to get a used 105mm f/2.8 Nikon micro for a good price so now it's off to Amazon for the D300. Maybe someday when we are short on speakers you could have a photo workshop at the monthly meeting. I think there would be a lot of interest.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:44 AM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by ThunderDog
Looks good Mike. Keep the updates coming. Thanks for your expetice on the camers recommendation. I could never make up my mind between the Nikon and Canon so I let CL decide. I scaned for a macro lens for weeks and was able to get a used 105mm f/2.8 Nikon micro for a good price so now it's off to Amazon for the D300. Maybe someday when we are short on speakers you could have a photo workshop at the monthly meeting. I think there would be a lot of interest.
I know of loads of people in the club who are shutterbugs - a fabulous idea regarding the meeting topic!

BTW - Thanks Kenny for the skimmer, I will get it hooked up and show you all how it looks. More to follow...