Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic tanks stored in garage???

I heard a while back that acrylic tanks should not be stored in the garage, (especially down here in florida). The person that told me this said that it will "dry rot" the tank out and the heat is not good for the seams. He also said something about as the tank shrinks from having water in it that there is a risk of breaking the bonds also. Does anyone have any idea about this and if there is any truth to it. I need to find out as I need a place to possibly store my 375g.
thanks.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Acrylic dry rot?? not that I've ever heard of, can't see how it even *could* happen.
Feel free to store it in that garage provided it doesn't freeze and it doesn't get too hot. It's really rapid temp changes that are bad for acrylic.
Acrylic grows with moisture absorption and higher temps and contracts as it dries and cools.

HTH,
James
Old 12/11/2007, 07:49 PM
no time for spell check!

MAN that is a good one! dry rot! that guy needs to stop smokin that wackey tabackey. its frying his brain. i have seen tanks that have sat for 2-3 years in a garage then put up and were just fine. there is no reason not to store it in your garage. just store it in sch a way that things wont fall on it and break the tank. that is the only thing i can think of that would damage a tank being stored in a garage.

dry rot....man i cant stop laughing over this one.