Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

160 Gallon Planning Thread

I am currently setting up a 160 mixed reef with the main fish a fu man chu lion.....looking for other suggestions...is there any type of schooling fish that will work with the lion?
Old 12/14/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

tangs.....
Old 12/14/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Do they all have to be the same exact type? I know you have to add them at the same time..
Old 12/14/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I believe you'd want to add something like 3 or more yellow tangs at once. You would want the tank to get established first so it could take the bio hit of multiple fish at once. I don't know if different tangs will school....maybe someone will add to that.
Old 12/15/2007, 04:56 PM
Team RC Member

I don't think a Fu Manchu is a good choice for a large tank with active, aggressive fish. They stay small (around 4" or less) and they often won't take anything but live food. BTW, they are not good shippers. They don't compete well with aggressive feeders. I'd keep a Fu Manchu in a 30-50 gallon tank with non-aggressive tankmates that won't compete with it for food.

You may want to reconsider and get another species. This article by Frank Marini is an excellent reference:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
Old 12/17/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

How about an antennetta? Also can I put a powder blue with a yellow tang?
Old 12/17/2007, 11:44 AM
Team RC Member

I think an P. antennata would a good choice, as long as tankmates are compatible.

I haven't kept PBTs, but understand they can be very touchy with ich. If you decide to get one, I'd look for a healthy and eating specimen, be sure to QT a good long time, and add before the yellow tang. I'd choose a tang with a better chance of long term survival, but understand why you'd want a PBT - they are gorgeous.
Old 12/17/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

So you think the Powder blue should be in there a long time before adding a yellow....how about a sailfin with the powder blue they don't seem so agressive....
Old 12/17/2007, 04:17 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
So you think the Powder blue should be in there a long time before adding a yellow....how about a sailfin with the powder blue they don't seem so agressive....
I haven't kept PBTs, so I can't say. I was saying you will want to make sure the PBT is as healthy and unstressed as possible. I'm pretty sure I have seen a PBT thread here or in the Reef Fishes forum; that would be useful for you. They are one of the tangs I have avoided because they just don't have a reliable record of survival in aquaria. You need to make sure you get a really good specimen to start with, and baby it along. They really aren't for beginning sw keepers. I've kept saltwater tanks for 30 years, and I don't want to try one. I'd stick to hardy tangs that don't get too big and aren't too delicate. There are a number of tangs on a list like that.

For good species information, look on wetwebmedia.com. Here is an article on tangs for you that should provide some reasonable guidance. Read carefully (and click links) for recommendations on tangs that will live, be a reasonable size for your tank and not be too aggressive:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/tangs,.htm
Old 12/17/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a bunch for the tip....I just love the powder blues I may get another one someday in hopes it will make it!