Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Fumigating

I have a 75 gallon 5 fishes with live rock and sand only. I have the tank running since 5 years now. I have Corine algae on the rocks but not on the glass. I also have white sponges growing all around the tank and over 100 baby snails.

I have a couple of ideas but wonder if it will work.

1. Ask my LFS if they can take care of it for 3 days or so and pay them. And then seal the tank up so no fumes can get in. (also worried about the rocks/sponges dying if I do that.)

2. Buy a small tank and set it up at the friends/relatives house. Then seal the tank etc...

Will the rocks, sponges, and snails be okay with 3 days of no light, current, heater, skimmer? I don't want my purple rocks to die.

Was wondering what other choices I have or could do.
Old 07/15/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Tear it down and move it somewhere

It can't take more than 8-12 hours of work to tear it down. If you don't have a truck to move it somewhere, I'm sure you can rent a pickup from Home Depot. What your suggesting is very dangerous for your tanks environment. If sealed, the water will become starved of oxygen and the life in the tank could start to die. That is, if you trust the seal in the first place. With no circulation and no gas exchange, you're bound to have one heck of a mess on your hands.
Old 07/15/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Forgot, I live in second story house. I think i'm going to buy another tank and transfer everything to a friends house.

Thanks.