Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2006, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Magnets to mount ph's

Can anyone suggest a cleaning magnet brand/size that will work well to mount MJ 1200's to? I tried the "Twister" trying to keep costs down and the magnet isn't strong enough for my AGA 90.

I would assume that Mag Floats would work well, but the cheapest I could find the 350's online is $16 each, plus I am not excited about how far they stick out inside of the tank to mount a ph to.

Or if anyone knows of any other magnet ideas other than algae magnets I would love to hear them. I have considered using plain magnets but I would think corrosion would be an issue.

Thanks!
Old 03/27/2006, 12:59 PM
Anemone Rancher

I've used the Mag Floats to mount Seios without any problem. Don't know the model number but they are about 3" by 4"...they are plenty strong.
Old 03/27/2006, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking about getting these.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=TZ3113
But a lot of people use these
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=MN1131
Old 03/27/2006, 02:46 PM
Finally at 500!

I use Mag Float 125's
Old 03/27/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

I just use the neodymium magnets from inside old hard drives. I paint and superglue them to the back of the powerheads. They are the same type of magnets in the mag floats.
Old 03/27/2006, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

You may want to look at these. This guy seems to make some nice acrylic mounts for powerheads:

http://www.nicksacrylicreef.com/index.php
Old 03/28/2006, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the information guys. I really like the acrylic mounts. And they are on special 4 for $40 with free shipping... not bad. And they would serve my purpose well.
Old 03/28/2006, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

derekmacias,
neodymium magnets from inside old hard drives? Are they of sufficient size to hold like a SEIO 820. I have like 5 or 6 old HD laying around this sounds prominsing , I think I'll take a look.
John
Old 03/28/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

It would prolly take a couple hard drives for those. You usually get 2 large or 4 small magnets per drive. I use 2 of the large per ph for my aquaclear 30's. one glued to the ph and the other stuck on the outside of the tank which is 1/4" acrylic. Here's a link for some awe value http://www.wondermagnet.com/item2demo.html

Also sometimes they are a PITA to get off. I just carefully use a chisel or flat screwdriver and a hammer. For the zero dollars why not try. If they dont work put em on the fridge.

I also used them to make a magnetic stirrer for my kalk reactor by gluing 2 of the smaller ones to an old 80mm computer fan and a 9 volt power supply. Just had to buy a a teflon coated stir stick from a lab supply store.
Old 03/29/2006, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Here is a good DIY magnet mount
Magnet mount
Old 03/29/2006, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

Great link Deuce67, thanks.
John
Old 03/30/2006, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

I was just looking for that same link to mfinn's DIY.

Here is another:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13377

I used this on my MJ1200s and they work perfect. My tank is 1/2" acrylic and the 2 magnets are just enough. If your tank were thicker, you might would use 3 on the powerhead and 3 outside the tank.

Mat