Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2004, 07:33 PM
T.O. = F.U.

Opposite of Genocide? Worms AGAIN... PICS

Well the worms went nutz again. I don't know what the opposite of genocide would be, but mass spawning would be close. I think this is what I got today. INSANE amounts of sperm released by my bristleworms. The skimmer went nutzo, to say the least. Anyone else ever had this happen? I would guess 100 times this stuff was shot up. 3-4 times per worm.

This one is a shot from the side. THe coral in the center is 11" from the glass.

Old 01/06/2004, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

those pictures are pretty damn cool. i've never seen my bristles do that before.
Old 01/06/2004, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

cool
Old 01/06/2004, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a scene from an adult movie!

Just kidding...that is amazing! What have you done to get rid of them? Some reefers actually like them in thier tanks.
No thanks!
Old 01/06/2004, 11:24 PM
T.O. = F.U.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmiester
Looks like a scene from an adult movie!

Just kidding...that is amazing! What have you done to get rid of them? Some reefers actually like them in thier tanks.
No thanks!
I think more than 'some' reefers like them in their tank. I am guessing most people here, know they are great to have in a tank. They really don't pose a problem unless they get enormous. They are great for eating and doing away with most anything in the tank.

Has anyone had this happen??? I read a recent post that a snail did something similar, but they didn't have pics so its hard to tell
Old 01/06/2004, 11:34 PM
With the #1 pick........

I've never been able to take a picture of them doing this, but seen it a couple times. Did you happen to do a water change recently?
Old 01/06/2004, 11:38 PM
T.O. = F.U.

Yes I did do a water change three days ago. I don't recall it coinciding with a WC before, but it was recent this time. Has it normally been after a WC for you?
Old 01/07/2004, 02:29 AM
With the #1 pick........

The biggest "event" I saw was just a few hours after doing a 20% water change on a 54 gallon corner I had a few years ago. It happened right after my halide kicked off and just my VHO were on. A couple days later I had numerous snail eggs on the glass also. I know they aren't related, but it really showed me the importance of doing water changes on a regular basis.
Old 01/07/2004, 02:54 AM
Moved On

Bristleworm rule in my tank is 4+ inches and your banned to the arrow crab tank.

- g
Old 01/07/2004, 03:11 AM
Registered Member

I have seen a similar event with snails. Several years ago I had a ten gallon tank setup as a "remote refugium". No fish or corals, just live rock, live sand, snails and a few hermit crabs. One night, the snails climbed to the highest spots on the rocks and released sperm (and eggs too I suppose). Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures and I don't remember any details of recent water changes, lighting changes, phase of the moon, etc.