Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

How to move a DSB?

If I set up a 200g and then need to move it out of an apartment in 1-2 years and set it up in a house - how do I prevent all the toxic gasses from escaping into the water and killing everything?

Thanks!
Old 11/07/2007, 03:30 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Years ago I was in the same boat.
I removed as much tank water as I could.
Then I placed all the rock, corals fish etc. into rubbermaids with tank water.
I discarded the DSB and used new sand in my tank.
I kept a small amount of the sand to help "seed" the new DSB.

Sean
Old 11/07/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

That's exactly what I did and it worked fine. Using too much of the old stuff looked like it was going to foul the water more than it was worth. You can clean the rest then use it later along with the smaller amount you kept. I was amazed how long I had to flush my old stuff before the water ran clean.
Old 11/07/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

"I was amazed how long I had to flush my old stuff before the water ran clean."

This is why I'm considering going BB and having an external DSB refugium (if at all - sand always gets so dirty)

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 11/07/2007, 05:20 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

If you are wanting to go to a BB I can post some links to make your life easier.

Sean
Old 11/07/2007, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT
If you are wanting to go to a BB I can post some links to make your life easier.

Sean
Not to hyjack the thread, but how's the amemone doing seanT? Did he attach? Is he wondering or staying put?
Old 11/07/2007, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Im thinking about going BB on my next move, that link would be great.
Old 11/07/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jgln
That's exactly what I did and it worked fine. Using too much of the old stuff looked like it was going to foul the water more than it was worth. You can clean the rest then use it later along with the smaller amount you kept. I was amazed how long I had to flush my old stuff before the water ran clean.
I am about to move in 2 weeks and need to remove the sand bed. If I were to reuse the old sand after moving it, would it be detrimental even if I skimmed heavily for several days and did a massive water change?
Old 11/07/2007, 11:27 PM
RC Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT
Years ago I was in the same boat.
I removed as much tank water as I could.
Then I placed all the rock, corals fish etc. into rubbermaids with tank water.
I discarded the DSB and used new sand in my tank.
I kept a small amount of the sand to help "seed" the new DSB.

Sean
I agree with Sean. I'd remove all life you want to keep, isolate it from your system, then tear it down. I'd use 95% new sand and some lightly saltwater rinsed sand from your old DSB.

Good luck...

These pretzels are making me thirsty...
Old 11/08/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zhenjw
I am about to move in 2 weeks and need to remove the sand bed. If I were to reuse the old sand after moving it, would it be detrimental even if I skimmed heavily for several days and did a massive water change?
Can't answer that since I never did it that way, but a gallon or two shouldn't dirty the water too much and my tank never crashed or anything. I wouldn't even lightly clean what you do use as it probably has a lot of live animals and benificial bacteria you don't want to wash out. My tank was up for several years and I just knew putting it all in the new tank would make my tank so cloudy I wouldn't be able to see one inch through the water, but your tank may be different.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:21 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
Originally posted by zhenjw
The problem with this is your going to upset the layers of bacteria when you put that sand back in your tank. The bacteria in the bottom of the sandbed uses little oxygen, and with you stirring up the bed like this, you will kill that bacteria. Skimming and water changes will only reduce the ammonia, and nitrates, it wont restore the bacteria. I would advise to rotate your sand, start with new sand at the new location, let the old sand wash it and air it out, and dry, and then keep it. When you move again you can start the same process over without having to buy new sand.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

ditto............. WELL said.... New Mariner.... I moved a 90G tank and 55G refug from Austin,TX 4 yrs ago and only reused the water from tank,which I carted 350 miles. I recently moved tank across the room and got that old sand out (which I had cleaned 4 yrs ago) and reused it....
I remember to this day how nasty it was, and how it took 3 hrs to rinse it 95% clean.... the tank never cycled hard either time ....... just had a little NTS... corals and fish never even knew they had moved.... DO NOT REUSE THE SAND... it's nas!-teee! ........... Ray
Old 11/08/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NewMariner
The problem with this is your going to upset the layers of bacteria when you put that sand back in your tank. The bacteria in the bottom of the sandbed uses little oxygen, and with you stirring up the bed like this, you will kill that bacteria. Skimming and water changes will only reduce the ammonia, and nitrates, it wont restore the bacteria. I would advise to rotate your sand, start with new sand at the new location, let the old sand wash it and air it out, and dry, and then keep it. When you move again you can start the same process over without having to buy new sand.
Would doing that mean his/her whole tank will need to recycle before putting fish and coral back in?
Old 11/08/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone had any experience with this while using a plenum? From the article I read in Marine Fish & Aquarium (I think Sept, or Oct 07) the "bad stuff" in LS is not created when using a plenum. In the article the guy had left a 200(?) gal tank for 2 years, testing constantly both the main body of the tank and the plenum space, and after those 2 years he disassembled the tank and found no bad spots in the sand.

46 Gal Bowfront
Build in process
Old 11/08/2007, 02:13 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
Originally posted by jgln
Would doing that mean his/her whole tank will need to recycle before putting fish and coral back in?
Yes, you will get a cycle when you disturb the sandbed...to what effect it cycles will vary. It depends on how much sand is disturbed, how far your moving, how big the tank is...all these will contribute. Some only see a small spike in ammonia...others just go through it again. I moved a sandbed and nearly lost all of my fish due to the ammonia...
Old 11/08/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jareth
Has anyone had any experience with this while using a plenum? From the article I read in Marine Fish & Aquarium (I think Sept, or Oct 07) the "bad stuff" in LS is not created when using a plenum. In the article the guy had left a 200(?) gal tank for 2 years, testing constantly both the main body of the tank and the plenum space, and after those 2 years he disassembled the tank and found no bad spots in the sand.
I've heard similar - I'm still up in the air on Plenums... I've thought about just using large sand/gravel to achieve the same affect (like how some people put rocks at the bottom of their plant pots for drainage) - but I dunno. hmmm
Old 11/08/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

I dont think the sand/gravel would work as a plenum. The plenum is really just a bare water space under your gravel. The plenum I am making (in blog) is 1/2" PVC and will be wrapped in filter material to stop gravel/sand from entering the space so you end up with a low-ox water space.

46 Gal Bowfront
Build in process