Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 07:57 PM
How many is too many?

No Sick Fish Ick Medicine

Id like to give everyone my experience with the no sick fish ick medicine. IMO it doesnt work. It made matters much worse in my tank. Ive had a slight case of ick for about 2 months affecting 2 fish. I figured what the heck and ordered the No Sick Fish Ick treatment and started treating the tank as per the instructions. In 3 days every fish in my tank was covered in ick. I send an email to NSF and Tyler calls me on the phone. I think hey its good customer service. He proceeds to tell me that the product is indeed working and its supposed to hatch all the dormant ick in the tank and my infestation is so bad because its been lying dormant in the tank for atleast 2 months. I didnt know ick goes dormant. Anyway he suggests i up the dosage slightly and keep him informed. A few more days pass and a few more dead fish. 6 dead fish and counting now. I send a second email Sunday asking when the product is supposed to work. I get no reply. I send another crankier email today re asking the same question and also asking for a refund. I get a reply stating that he doesnt know how long it will take and im to continue treatment but he doesnt expect me to spend more money. No offer to ship another bottle of pee water. he also states that its effective only 85% of the time and i must be in the remaining 15% where this doesnt work. I didnt know there were multiple strains of ick. So in the end i have a tank full of ick infested fish. I have never in my life had an outbreak so bad. Do i attribute the explosive outbreak in such a short time to the medicine? Yes i do. I do feel that the medicine did cause the explosive outbreak so hey ill give it credit there. It has NOT however killed any ick that i can see. Im to continue medicating and spending more money on snake oil. IMO this product does not work. Atleast not for me. Its heartbreaking watching fish ive had for years succumb to this. I lost one of my prized fish too. The female of my mating hybrid clowns. That fish is irreplacable. So there you have it, my horrible experience. Copper is the only proven killer of ick. I also dont use a QT tank so in the end i only have myself to blame for getting ick in the first place. In that reguard i played with fire and got burned. I never would have needed NSF if i used a QT tank.
Old 06/26/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I hear you. From this point out, I QT EVERYTHING that goes into the main tank. I make sure they eat and I will only perform Hypo if the fish show any signs of Ich in the month or so they are in QT. Good Luck Chris.
Old 06/26/2007, 08:49 PM
How many is too many?

Thanks Tom. This may do it for me. Whatever survives i may sell and take down the tank. Ill keep the 30 up and running and sell the 125. I think this is it for me.
Old 06/26/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

If you want to part with any sick tangs that still seem repairable, let me know.
Old 06/26/2007, 09:28 PM
10 & Over Club

I tried the stuff myself a couple of years ago to see if it lived up to it's claims. Same results as you. I personally know several people that have tried with no success, I don't know anyone that has had work. IMO, it's just another snake oil.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 06/26/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

this sounds all to familiar. Sorry to hear dude. I have been there lost my entire stock but two, one of them is now with Warren & the other one had the nerve to jump out of a perfectly good 180.
Old 06/27/2007, 01:56 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
I tried the stuff myself a couple of years ago to see if it lived up to it's claims. Same results as you. I personally know several people that have tried with no success, I don't know anyone that has had work. IMO, it's just another snake oil.

I guess you're part of that 15% too, huh?

I don't know how many times I have told people that the best way to defend against ICH is to know your enemy. Study it's life cycle, and it's needs. Know that there are only two proven methods of beating it, and neither can be done in a reef.
I'm sorry you're having a rough time with it, Chris. ICH really is a ............

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 06/27/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

This sounds funny, but since I have QT'd my livestock, my 125 gallon Invert Only With Live Rock Tank has bought me great joy in the past 2 months! IOWLR... yup, my cleaner shrimp and arrow crab strut around like they own the place.

"IMO, it's just another snake oil."
and
"Know that there are only two proven methods of beating it, and neither can be done in a reef."

I am now a firm believer!

by the way, you have a barebottom tank, why don't you just pull all of the LR and inverts, add a bunch of PVC pipes, and do hypo that way? It's got to be easier than me putting everything into a 55 and a 40 breder.
Old 06/27/2007, 02:07 PM
How many is too many?

Larry i have a question. Why is a company like NSF a sponsor here? There are more failures than success stories reguarding the product. Ive seen a few threads reguarding them in a not so good spotlight. If the consensus is its snake oil maybe they should be removed as being a sponsor here. Save other unsuspecting people the aggravation im going thru. I would love to have someone in a lab analyze the ingredients in the product. Any volunteers?
Old 06/27/2007, 08:41 PM
RC Staff

Reef Central neither evaluates nor endorses any particular product by any of the sponsors of this board. We encourage using our list of sponsors as a starting point but hope that all members engage in their own research and evaluation process prior to purchasing any product. Reef Central does, routinely, decline sponsorship requests when it's determined that a company or a product conflicts with our mission of furthering this hobby.

These pretzels are making me thirsty...
Old 06/28/2007, 11:09 AM
How many is too many?

Well the failures of this product seem to be quite plentiful. Alot more than the sucess stories. Im not even sure if ive seen a sucess story. Maybe it should be looked into by RC and this sponsorship re evaluated.
Old 06/28/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

maybe ask him to put money where he's mouth is.
if he is so sure of his product why dont he offer you your cost back if you dont see the results he is promising? Im sure his bottle costs less than the live stock it promises to cure.
Old 06/28/2007, 08:01 PM
How many is too many?

Believe me Dexter he wont send me any product. He wants me to buy it. I told him from a publicity standpoint as well as him being so sure it will work thaT it would be a good business standpoint to send me some. So im now making everyone that will read aware of this snake oil treatment and cost him some $$$$ and save someone else from wasting money on this. He is well aware that i was going to put my experience onto any message board i can think of so it was his choice. I have a bunch of emails from him and its all a bunch of dog poop! He tells people what they want to hear given the content of the email sent to him. I have over 100 views on this thread so hopefully ive saved someone from my experience............
Old 06/28/2007, 09:02 PM
10 & Over Club

Want to have some fun? Ask him if he knows what is actually in the bottle. First time I talked to him at an IMAC when NSF was just showing up on the market, he told me he didn't know what was in the stuff, just that he knew it worked because the chemists that developed it were paid a lot and were smart guys.

Old 06/29/2007, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

Chris, I dont know if you read my posting too a while back. It was when I was getting back on my feet. I lost morethan $1K of livestock, genocide accelerated when I started NSF treatment.

for what its worth at the end of the treatment I had NO SICK FISH,

I HAD DEAD ONES
Old 06/29/2007, 09:17 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

Quote:
Originally posted by DEXTER SOLIS
for what its worth at the end of the treatment I had NO SICK FISH,

I HAD DEAD ONES
Old 06/29/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

What would be considered the proper and best method to eliminate ich? (Assuming that the sick fish is in a QT).
Old 06/29/2007, 10:37 AM
10 & Over Club

Hyposalinity, Copper and the transfer (change tanks every 3rd day) are the only scientifically proven and time tested methods that are reliable.

BTW the only fish I've lost to ich in the last 15 or so years was when I tested the NSF product.

Old 06/29/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Billsreef, out of the three methods you mentioned, which do you personally prefer? I have read numerous articles you have wrote and wound up going with hypo. It worked great, but I lost a few fish on the way due to me not being as prepared to do it as I thought. I am considering copper next time I have to treat any new fish if they happen to show signs before I add them to the display tank. Thanks a lot for the great advice you have posted. I have learned a tremendous amount from your posts!
Old 06/29/2007, 01:20 PM
10 & Over Club

My personal first choice is hypo. Copper is my second choice. The tank transfer method does work very well, but requires a couple of spare tanks, and lots of work with setting up tank, breaking down and sterilizing the first tank and so forth.

Old 06/29/2007, 05:50 PM
How many is too many?

Quote:
at the end of the treatment I had NO SICK FISH,
Yep thats going to be my outcome! Tyler has defended the product to no end but no sending of additional product. Guess cause deep down he knows it wont work no matter how long i treat. Warren treated for a 1 month and had no luck.

Bill i saw the thread here asking what was in the product. it was an educational read after the thought. I really wish someone could analyze whats in there to see if anything actually kills ick. Would be kinda funny to find out with proof positive that northing in the ingredients kills anything. We all know the answer though.
Old 06/29/2007, 07:05 PM
10 & Over Club

Chris,

A little reverse engineering could certainly be done, but likely expensive to do. Hmm, come to think of it I might have to see if I can come up with a chem grad student that could do it on the cheap.

Old 06/29/2007, 07:50 PM
How many is too many?

Let me know. Id love to have positive proof that this doesnt work!!!
Old 06/29/2007, 08:02 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by cb747
Let me know. Id love to have positive proof that this doesnt work!!!
IMO, you, Warren and myself have already proved that

Old 06/29/2007, 08:09 PM
How many is too many?

Yes we have but not by a breakdown of the ingredients. Thats my goal!