Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

How do I plug a hole?

Folks,
I need to move my topoff in mysump up 3 inches due to a change in plumbing that will raise the water level in the sump. Any suggestions on how I should fill the 1/2 hole in the plexiglass? I have seen somewhere a plug that could fill the hole but I have not been able to locate the vendor.

Keep in mind this is a plexiglass sump that is in use and can't be shutoff for any significant period of time (more than an hour or so).

Right now I am just considering leaving the topoff and just plug the pipe and put another in above it but that would be kinda hokey.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Clint
Old 04/27/2007, 09:08 AM
I like the way you talk.

How about a 1/2" nylon bolt and nut with a rubber gasket?

Like this one.
Old 04/27/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

If you had some weldon 4 or 16 you could cut out another piece of plexiglass and put one on the inside and one on the outside to serve as a patch. You would have to leave the level low enough to put it in and let it dry (maybe a day or two).
Old 04/27/2007, 11:30 AM
Team RC Member

You can put a threaded bulkhead through, then cap it with the appropriate PVC screw cap available at any hardware.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 04/27/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

I thought about the bulkhead fitting and problem is it would bump up against the other float valve.

I also thougth about patching with plexiglass but my bottle of adhesive does not have cure time and very clear states how toxic it is. I would hate to wipe out my 300 gallon tank.

Clint
Old 04/27/2007, 12:38 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

sounds like a job for harvey's plumber's epoxy. I would have that hole plugged in 2 minutes. make a wad that will fill the hole with a little extra to fan around the hole on both sides.
Old 04/27/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

What is harveys plumbers epoxy? I had not thought about using reef epoxy wonder if it would seal on the plexiglass.

Clint