Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Tuxedo Urchin

i've been debating whether or not to get a tuxedo urchin. Lately I've been having some serious algae issues, even hair algae, which hasn't been there since i first started my tank. I know what the cause of ithe algae is but i've been meaning to get something to clean up some algae anyways. Most of my corals are large enough that i don't think the urchin can knock them over. Is this really the only issue with these?
Old 11/27/2007, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

I had bad luck keeping them personally. Not sure how they are shipped or what not but both times it lasted for 3 days and died.... (I havent lost a single other invert)
Old 11/29/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I can't keep urchins for the life of me either!
Old 11/29/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I have had very good luck with tuxedo urchins. My tanks are very well established, so that may make a difference. I have 1 in a 29G for about a year nad another in my other 29G Zo tank. They don't knock over anything and do not wipe out corraline algae as I had been told when I bought the first one.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Yea i recently just actually found a small tuxedo urchin in my 46 bow it is about the size of a quarter and is really cute i took it out and but it in my fuge i love it
Old 11/30/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

I kept a tuxedo in a 15gal nano for about 5months but i got rid of it because it kept running of with whatever wasnt glued down, thermometers, corals etc.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:02 PM
reef girl

I have had my tuxedo for a year now, he doesnt knock anything over but he is a freak about hiding himself, the worse was coming home from work and finding him wearing a cleaner shrimp molt, grossed me out and took my awhile to pick it off of him, he grabs everything he can to wear it to "hide" himself but its mostly funny, especially since he manages to take apart my seaweed clip and wear the suction cup as a hat

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 11/30/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

I've not had a Tuxedo but did have a large pin cushion for a while and he ran over everything in his way. I'm reluctant to have another 'cause I' building a mostly LPS reef and I'm sure he would wreak havoc.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

We just got a blue tuxedo and he's oozing white stuff out of the top, any ideas as to what it might be? He's on the move but the ejaculate is a concern.
Old 12/04/2007, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

When they ooze crap outta the top means they are pooping. That my friend is their bum-bum.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

he pooped for about 20 min. is that normal? and should I do a water change? We've got some coral in there too.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:21 PM
reef girl

mine does not ooze when its taking a poop, its more like little pebbles, when it oozes white stuff out of it, it was my understanding and appears to be spawning (sperm) which is a white ooze, the poop is little tan like pebbles like sand

you do not need to do a water change for either event

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 12/07/2007, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have had my tuxedo for a year now, he doesnt knock anything over but he is a freak about hiding himself, the worse was coming home from work and finding him wearing a cleaner shrimp molt, grossed me out and took my awhile to pick it off of him, he grabs everything he can to wear it to "hide" himself but its mostly funny, especially since he manages to take apart my seaweed clip and wear the suction cup as a hat
This one was at the LFS.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats