Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/25/2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Bree42
Registered Member

Starfish???

Ok now this is the second time I"ve actualy seen one of these guys out of the rocks. The other one, no doubt it was a star fish. This one, well, I don't know what to think. VEEEEEEEEEERRRRYY strange looking dude..
http://www.drekster.com/myrescues/starfish.htm

Current Tank Info: 14 tanks
Bree42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Tayler
Registered Member

wow thats weird,just a guess maybe its a brittle star that got a leg or two taken off.

tayler

Tayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2008, 06:42 PM   #3
fish4lyfe
Registered Member

pretty sure that is a bristle star

Current Tank Info: 29 gal
fish4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2008, 09:06 PM   #4
LobsterMan
Registered Member

it looks like a bristle or a brittle star fish.

LobsterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Bree42
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I went nuts yesterday and bought 2 new fish, a neon blue barred goby and a yellow tailed dwarf angel. Both seem pretty active and are nice additions to the tank. Keep looking for an elegance coral and end up bringing home consolation prizes

Old 01/29/2008, 10:25 AM   #6
darkangler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bree42
Keep looking for an elegance coral and end up bringing home consolation prizes
I'd do a little research before purchasing an elegance coral, as they can be quite difficult to keep alive for a long period of time. They usually need tons of Phytoplankton to survive.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef, 40 Breeder reef, 125 reef, 55 reef, 90 fish only, and more....
darkangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2008, 10:26 AM   #7
darkangler
Registered Member

also the angel might love nipping at it.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef, 40 Breeder reef, 125 reef, 55 reef, 90 fish only, and more....
darkangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Bree42
Registered Member

Oh boy, well I purchased a small piece last night, about an inch across. We'll see how it goes. I also bought some food to go with it and I'll follow your advise and keep it well fed. The angel so far seems to be behaving itself. Will watch it. I got rid of my coral beauty and was looking for something similar in size and shape.
Had the coral beauty for 1 1/2 years. Bought it the same day we bought our clowns. He was fine up until one day he just snapped. He had my clowns pinned in their anenome and was attacking the anenome. And it wasn't the little picks here and there but an all out, spazz attack, retreat and return. He was bagged immediatly and I called my favorite store and they traded me fish. I got the canary blenny for him.

Old 01/29/2008, 04:22 PM   #9
lancer99
Registered Member

Elegance corals (Cataphyllia jardinei) don't require phytoplankton, and in fact, I've never even heard of them taking it. See here under "Feedings."

This article talks about some research that was done to find out why they have become so hard to keep.

And a whole site dedicated to them.

Apparently the ones coming in from Australia are much hardier than the Indonesian ones.

(Maybe it was some other 'Elegance coral' you meant )

HTH,
-R

lancer99 is offline   Reply With Quote