Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/21/2007, 08:31 PM
RC Staff
American

Exclamation Ignore feature

It has come to my attention, on several occasions, that there are people frequenting this forum that do not get along with certain other people that frequent this forum.
Because we understand that not everyone is likable to everyone else, but still require peace and civility, we have given you the option of putting people on ignore.
Click the profile link in any post made by someone you wish to ignore, and scroll down the page. Near the bottom, you will see a link to "Add this user to your ignore list"
By simply clicking that link, you can save me a lot of headaches, and it would do your club good.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 04/21/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

I would use this feature in a heartbeat. However, if something is being sold or given away, I would not be able to tell if an ignored person has claimed it before me.
Old 04/21/2007, 10:27 PM
Moved In

Old 04/23/2007, 07:44 AM
Bristleworm Farmer

Thanks, this will come in handy

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251
Old 04/23/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

That sounds like a great feature, and I'm sure that if one of your ignored people beat you to a sale, the seller would be fair and tell you. I have become an advocate of just not acknowledging or responding to people who continually write posts that contribute no useful information to the topic. Imagine how nice the CTARS board would be if we all did the same.
Old 04/23/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Amen.
Old 04/23/2007, 06:42 PM
Coral Killer

You can still see that they posted but nothing pops up except that you chose to ignore this users post.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 04/23/2007, 09:10 PM
Moved In

We all just need to get along!!

Old 04/24/2007, 06:51 AM
RC Admin

I'm going to bump this and I would also like to remind everyone that our Private Message system is subject to the exact same rules as the bulletin board itself. There is some glowing red text at the bottom of the PM Panel that informs you of this fact.

So if you think that you can send, oh I don't know, threats, profanity, insults...etc..via PM...you are wrong. If that message gets reported to us, we will take the same actions as if you posted that information publicly.

I really, really want to encourage a few people here to either A) get along, B) Ignore each other or C) Find a new board to play on.

If that does not happen, we're going to start helping people get to C.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 04/24/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

thank you thank you

Tomorrows another day, the sun will shine again. me
Old 04/29/2007, 05:18 AM
RC Staff
American

It appears that this thread, and my suggestion to use the ignore feature is being ignored.
I don't have a lot of options before me now, but I need the petty bickering and childish behavior to stop, and I mean now. What I can do is;
1) Close this forum completely for a number of days
2)Close this forum indefinitely
3)Ban the two that are always at the root of the many post reports I get from members of this club
4)recommend once again that the rest of you get very up close and familiar with the ignore feature.

Right now, I'm going with #4, and I'm going to sticky this thread. If the problems continue, I give you my word, I WILL put an end to it.

Old 04/29/2007, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for your help with this issue. As a member of the club who does spend time on the CTARS RC site, using it for information and to find out what is going on in the club, I would ask that you please try number 3 before you shut the forum down. I know many of the people in the club and would argue that it really is the few rotten apples that ruin it for the bunch here on RC. The immature and childish behavior that you see here is not typical of the members of the club. I think that removing "the two" who are involved in the complaints would fix the problem. Thanks again for taking up your time on this issue.
Jon
Old 04/29/2007, 08:03 AM
CT Area Reef Society

i vote number 3. its not the club as a whole thats causing problems. its 3 kids with no self control. personaly i dont think the ignore feature is going to solve anything around here, just put a band-aid on it for awhile. things will settle down for a week or two and like usual they will start all over again.

give them the BOOT!
Old 04/29/2007, 09:11 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

I'm in for 3 also. Why should the people who use this website for actual information and help get punished because a bunch of 8th graders can't interact in society?

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 04/29/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Number 3 gets my vote. The sooner , the better.
Old 04/29/2007, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

I don't think DgenR8 is asking for a vote I certainly hope, however, that closing the forum is not the end result, regardless of whether it's for a few days or indefinitely. Hopefully, the "offenders" will take other people into consideration for once and stop doing what they've been doing.
Old 04/29/2007, 09:24 AM
Moved In

As I was also a cause of the problem, I would be in for #3, I will rather get a temp. ban that ruin it for other members.

Sorry guy, I will try to stay out of these as some people are already doing, and again sorry.

Patrik,
Old 04/29/2007, 09:29 AM
CT Area Reef Society

Saltyfishy123- havent you been kicked off RC before?

a couple times.....
Old 04/29/2007, 09:34 AM
RC Staff
American

Closing a forum is not something taken lightly. I put it out there as it is one option available that would solve this problem. It's not in the books for this forum, at this time.
I'm hoping that this is a wakeup call to the perceived problems, and those that feed them. The "kids" as you guys refer to them are not in it alone.
Again, the best possible course of action here is for everyone to learn how to use the ignore feature, and exercise that knowledge when it's appropriate.

Old 04/29/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

I said it once before and I'll say it again, this time much more clearly. If you don't want to use the ignore feature, be an adult and dont reply to the posts we all know are the root of the problem. Don't respond a comment that has no informational value, and don't even reply with a "please keep your bickering off the board," post. Please just take a deep breath, and completely ignore the post and the person. Kid or no, if they post a well thought out, useful, and informational post, or have a legitimate question, then by all means reply. If not, then just take the high road and let the comment be.

DgenR8 is right, the "kids" alone arent the problem, everyone who replies in ANY way to these posts contributes to the problem.
Mods, If this doesnt work, then please use #3.
Old 05/05/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

#3!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05/06/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

looks as things have been going great on here lately anyone agree???
Old 05/06/2007, 11:25 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by doublec
looks as things have been going great on here lately anyone agree???

I'll say that things have settled down nicely. I'll also say a general, all around thank you for that.

Old 08/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Sad due to is such a gret tool of knowledge and times answers are wrong by some but reader should have enough sense to read and read more till they make a decision they agree with due to many things work for many people. If I did everything the way I was told to do without thinking about cause and effect my tank would be in trouble. But no reason to be rude (answers must have worked for them).
Old 10/20/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

I haven't been here in month cause of the childish problems and i see things havent changed