Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 03:04 PM

hey guys, quick question...

I have an OTP-2000 that has completely seized up. The NW impeller assembly CANNOT be removed.

So, any suggestions on where to get a new one, or perhaps an even better replacement that will still fit my skimmer?
Old 12/28/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

marinesolutionsinc.com has the replacement pumps and needlewheel impellers
Old 12/28/2007, 10:35 PM

excellent. thanks a bunch!
Old 12/29/2007, 01:15 AM
DIY Junkie

what do you need that for jonathon? You've got that GIANT sguare foam cannon after all
Old 12/29/2007, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

is ithis possible

can I take a smaller skim cup off a smaller octopus to make a nw200 shorter ? Are the cup connection the same
Old 12/29/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I'm thinking about recirculating my nw200. It's currently on a 70 gal. acro. tank and has had all the modds done to it and it works good. It has the GG on the impellar rite now I haven't put any mesh material on as of yet. I still plan to use it as an in sump and keep the OPT 3000 on it but was thinking of installing the OPT 1000 to give it a little extra kick. If I can do this I plan to use it on a 140 gal. I'm in the middle of building. I will do all the modds to the 1000 but was looking for some suggestions. I intend to plumb one of the overflows to the 3000 by using a T. The 3000 will be the feed pump for the skimmer. I will be transferring the 70 gal. over to the 140 gal and if I don't have to buy a bigger more expensive skimmer that is what I'm looking for.
Looking for suggestions.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
what do you need that for jonathon? You've got that GIANT sguare foam cannon after all
yeah...well got to skim my QT/Grow-out tank too! Plus, I like the noise.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

anyone knows of a good silencer/muffler for the air intake??

i started to mess around with what i had handy ( which isn't much) and dint get to far w/o somthing to absorb,dampen, slow down the air flow..

friggin skimmer suck air and sound like a friggin jet!!!

this is what it dose to a watter bottle w/hole drill in it snugly.. and air intake fitted inside..

Photobucket

Photobucket

as you can see, this thing pull some air and is loud...

any ideas??

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/01/2008, 02:30 AM
DIY Junkie

Take the water bottle and do this with it...you're half way there, just need a second hole in the cap. Make sure that you don't use anything with a smaller ID than the airline you are already using.
Photobucket
Old 01/01/2008, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

hum.. almost like those fiberglass racing car mufflers... offset as to cancel out the air/sound resonance and hi temp fiberglass to dampen air even more...

i think i know the answer but...will this work the same w/o the longer tube?? like just the bottle and airline pushed in w/ cotton balls?? ( im thinking it will work but not as good..

thanks Jctweks

HAPPY NEW YEATS TO ALL!!!

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/01/2008, 03:06 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaNgBOm321
hum.. almost like those fiberglass racing car mufflers... offset as to cancel out the air/sound resonance and hi temp fiberglass to dampen air even more...

i think i know the answer but...will this work the same w/o the longer tube?? like just the bottle and airline pushed in w/ cotton balls?? ( im thinking it will work but not as good..

thanks Jctweks

HAPPY NEW YEATS TO ALL!!!

YzGyz
It will work as far as passing air through....I just don't know if it would be a good muffler that way. You could just have a long air supply line and push it through to the bottom of the bottle without a cap even. just make sure the cotton/polyfill isn't so tight as to restrict airflow. I think it would work best as I drew it...most mufflers i've seen ar just the offset airlines without the damoening material...I think the dampening material would be even more effective.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:29 AM
Registered Member

Need a little help guys....Modded my nw150, 3 layers of enkamat on my otp-2000, cut off the top needles left the others. Running at 31/32w. Bored out the elbows, and the venturi holes. Problem is I can't seem to get my foam to be dense. I get like big bubbles that pop at the top of the riser, dont really know how to explain that well. The foam seemed better before i opened up the venturi holes. Should i try restricting the airline tubing a bit??? Like put a mini ball valve or one of those iv drip controllers???

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:45 AM
DIY Junkie

You could try restricting the venturi...needle valves work bedt ad they allow for accurate control.

Also, you might want to give it a chance to break in awhile if you just put the mesh on. There are oils from manufacturing on the mesh, and they will take a day or two to wear off...pls, the mesh does a better job after it's run a few days.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

well its been more than a week since i put the mesh on, so i'll try a needle valve...does home depot or lowes sell them?

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:51 AM
DIY Junkie

they should...i used a brass 3/8" needle valve I got at Ace...1/4" ID tube fits well with the supplied compression fitting.
Old 01/01/2008, 07:44 AM
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaNgBOm321
anyone knows of a good silencer/muffler for the air intake??
Run the airline up and into the collection cup. The humid air will also eliminate clogging.

HTH
jp
Old 01/01/2008, 07:47 AM
Threadkiller

How hard would it be to mod an existing NW150 so that the OTP is level with the inlet and can run sideways like this?

Quote:
Originally posted by koraltek
the pump is the same, the nw is the same, the venturi is the same.
the thing that makes it perform so much better is that they removed the elbow from the pump outlet, and they instead put the pump on it's side and inject the air/water directly in at the bottom of the skimmer, the water then has to go up to the top, then all the way back down to the bottom before it exits, so there is increased dwell time with this design as well.
then after the mesh mod, the thing is just insane.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

I need a new/used Octopus OTP-3000 pump. Anyone here have one they are not using and willing to sell?
Old 01/03/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, posted twice.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:07 PM
Brevard Area Reef Society

well I posed this on another thread, but I wanted to add it to the archive, I made a new venturi for the NW-200, and now I am pulling 29~30 scfm (with all the other mods)

its a 3/4 schedule 40 pvc pipe that has been sanded down on both sides with a ridged airline tube in it. It is held in by a wrap of electrical tape

Old 01/06/2008, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

I have a Co2 problem that causes my Ph to drop. One of the solutions seems to be to draw air from outside of house by the Venturi for skimmer. So my question is with the outside of the house 15 ft from skimmer, will that reduce the amount of air intake?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:20 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by 192clark
I have a Co2 problem that causes my Ph to drop. One of the solutions seems to be to draw air from outside of house by the Venturi for skimmer. So my question is with the outside of the house 15 ft from skimmer, will that reduce the amount of air intake?
as long as you are not using 1/4" ID tubing for the whole run you'll be fine. I would run at least 1/2" so there is no loss along the run.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the input.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 PM
Broke Reefer

Good thread. Im doing my dual recirc tomorrow. I figure ill do the 3 layer ekmat, dremel the elbows and drill the the venturi and ad the 1/4 adapter.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:04 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by teog
Good thread. Im doing my dual recirc tomorrow. I figure ill do the 3 layer ekmat, dremel the elbows and drill the the venturi and ad the 1/4 adapter.
Be sure to take lots of pics and post your results