Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 12:24 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
badbrd, did you use enkamat or gutterguard?

On the DNW-110, what would taking the "T" /elbow/down tube off of the return and just having a pipe that comes out of the ball valve and overflowing back into the sump? Kinda like the ASM skimmers?
Some people prefer the use of an adjustable standpipe over a ball/gate valve as the standpipe offers no restriction on the skimmer output. The ball/gate valve offers easier fine tuning of the water level in the skimmer, while the standpipe tends to be a little harder to adjust. With a singlepass skimmer like the NW series, the flow through the skimmer is dependent directly on the output of the NW pump....If the air flow decreases (like a saltcreep plugged airline), the water flow increases, and the skimmer will overflow if the output is restricted. The water level in the skimmer body with an adjustable standpipe directly correlates to the level of the top of the standpipe. In recirc skimmers like the DNW's, the water level is inherently more stable since the through put does not depend on the NW pump. Because of the inherent stability, the ball/gate valve is preffered on recirc skimmers mainly due to it's ease of adjustment and ability to run external.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

a little off topic but does anyone know were to get replacement pipes and fitting for the DNW200

It seems no plumbing supply store has nothing that will fit the stock ball valve fitting
Old 12/21/2007, 04:08 PM
DIY Junkie

All of the plumbung on these are metric...If you take the parts to your hardware stor you might be able to find english fittings that are close and will work with a little TLC (teflon tape or dremel )

what exactly are you trying to replace?
Old 12/21/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

i need to add some inches on my standpipe. I had it too low and now i need to almost close the ball v alve to get the water level high enough, but the flow out of the skimmer is getting really slow.

So i need to raise my standpipe, but no plumbing store had anything close. They tell me is ABS piping but laughed when i asked were to get a couple feet of it.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:30 PM
DIY Junkie

You can get ABS at Lowes...it's the electrical conduit. I believe the sizes are the sme as standard pipe though. Take one of the unions from the ball valve with you to the store and see what is close to fitting. If the pipe you can find is just a tad too small, you can wrap teflontape around it to make it fit. If it's a tad too large, just take a dremel sanding drum to the union fitting and open it up until the new pipe fits. I would just get standard PVC though...the sch40 walls are thinner than the ABS electrical conduit and will allow for more flow.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

i will check i called and asked in the plumbing department and they said it was in there system but not at there location. I will check in the electrical department next time.

Thanks
Old 12/21/2007, 04:44 PM
DIY Junkie

Like I said...just use PVC...all of the pipe in the HW stores in this country will be standard english pipe sizes (all of the pipe/fittings on the DNW200 is metric as they are built in China). The PVC will be cheaper than the ABS as well.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

well i'm trying a lot of silicone to use with regular sch40 PVC, i was also curious about the fitting incase i try to mod the venturi tube diameter, incase something went wrong. Marine solutions doesnt have the piece that goes from the pump to the skimmer with venturi. He only has the venturi peice that is not fo the recir. skimmer, so.... I'm a little afraid to mess with a piece that i can not replace.
Old 12/21/2007, 05:00 PM
DIY Junkie

I know what you mean I've been trying to get a DNW110 venturi from Joe for awhile now
Old 12/21/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

i wrote an email to coralvue, curious what they will say
Old 12/21/2007, 05:29 PM
DIY Junkie

let me know if they have DNW venturi's
Old 12/21/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

well if they give me corerct sizes i would order from a web site for the fitting, i think the non recir venturi is the same size, it just doesn't have the thread that connect to the skimmer.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys I just got my new DNW200. I set it up to run externally and it has been running for two days now. Only getting a small amount of skimmate from my 180 fowlr. The tank has been set up for about a month, and was cycled and running without a skimmer. I was expecting a little bit more performance.

Two things. I have heard numerous people say there is a break in period. What exactly is breaking in, that causes me not to get so much skimmate at this time.

The second thing is, I guess I currently have to large of a feed pump. I'm running a rio 1700 right now. for a 180+25 gal fuge. I have read you need about 1.5 times system volume per hour. Will having to large a feed pump make that big a differnce for now? it is only temporary till I pick up a mag drive 3.5 or rio 1100.

Also any other quick mods I can do to make it run better. I'll have to say that the venturi air supply line was really cheesey. Very flimsy with permanent kinks in the hose. Going to replace with sturdier airline. I guess I also need to replace the gasket that covers a portion of the venturi hole.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:45 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

o.k. i bought one of the newly redesigned coralvue octopus ps-150 internal skimmers with the normal otp2000 nw pump and venturi, not the sicce pump...
you know, the one that people have been saying will be a worthless upgrade in design for the extra money...

well im here to tell you that this thing is a bad *** mofo compared to the old style octo 150 interrnal skimmer.
stock, right off the shelf, @ $219.99, this thing pulls 450 lph of air, that's 30 lph more than the $259.99 euroreef rs-80 which pulls 420 lph. that's right, you read right, stock, the octopus beats the euroreef by 30 lph.
here's a stock pic from the company, you've seen this before, but i just wanted to post it so people can see the difference...

now here's some pics of mine after it's been on the tank for less than 18 hours, completely stock:

Old 12/24/2007, 11:52 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

now here's after i added 2 layer of enkamat mesh to the impellar, i took off the top layer of needles first...

notice i dont have the air valve restricted, i was just using it as a muffler, and in case i wanted to adjust.
i really need a new air meter so i can give the exact numbers of the increase in performance, but this skimmer is awesome stock off the shelf, totally freaking amazing after mesh mod...reminded me of a mini ati skimmer
Old 12/24/2007, 11:54 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

the skimmate you see in the cup though is what the skimmer collected in it's stock configuration in 18 hours, the pics are of immediately after the mod
Old 12/25/2007, 12:03 AM
One Good Friend

Koral, looks great. What is it pulling now with the enkamat? Also, i bet if you did a new venturi it would pull a ton more. That guy could be real impressive looking if teh bubble plate wasn't so far up, but still looks good.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:07 AM
DIY Junkie

What chages ahve been mad to the pumps that make them perform better? Is it the same OTP2000 as before?
Old 12/25/2007, 02:32 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

the pump is the same, the nw is the same, the venturi is the same.
the thing that makes it perform so much better is that they removed the elbow from the pump outlet, and they instead put the pump on it's side and inject the air/water directly in at the bottom of the skimmer, the water then has to go up to the top, then all the way back down to the bottom before it exits, so there is increased dwell time with this design as well.
then after the mesh mod, the thing is just insane. before the mod the foam head was very slow and dry, after, i had to turn the skimmer down, because of the increase of air/water, and increase in turbulence. it didnt seem to be a fatal amount of turbulence at all, just increased. it looks like it will be perfect after break in.
i might have to put the call out on my local forum to see if i can borrow someone's air meter until my new one arrives, because im dying to see the actual measured results, it looks like it pretty much doubles the power, but i seriously doubt the pump is pulling 900 lph though that crappy venturi. but after the mesh , i dont know that it needs any other mods...we'll see...
Old 12/25/2007, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Koral, looks great. What is it pulling now with the enkamat? Also, i bet if you did a new venturi it would pull a ton more. That guy could be real impressive looking if teh bubble plate wasn't so far up, but still looks good.
i just got the recirculating PS-120... the unit that i got does not look like the stock photos that i see online... the stock photos have the pump intake on the outside of the inside tube that is connected to the bubble plate... the unit that i got have both the intake of the pump and it's exhaust directed inside the inner tube right under the bubble plate... so all of the turbulance are contained within under the bubble plate and the only water that surges upwards is the amount of water that is being inputed into the skimmer...

with the configuration that the stock photos show, i can see that turbulence going upwards can be a problem... the water will be surging upwards inside the inner tube at the same rate the recirculating pump puts water out...
Old 12/27/2007, 09:45 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

update,
well 2 layers of mesh was too much for the ps-150 int, even one layer seemed to overpower the skimmer!! although i could have been more patient and waited more than a couple days...but no,
so i put the stock impellar back in, and went about modifying the venturi to see about getting more air, so i took an extra volute i had and drilled a hole as close as i could to the impellar, put in a large 1/4" air post, and put a large silicone tube from a ati skimmer and voila! too much air, once again...but i forgot to decrease the diameter of the water imput of the pump, so once i did that with a 1/2' ftp adapter things were more powerful than stock, but not too powerful.
i know the restricting factor is the 3" neck, but, it's like 1/2" bigger than the ER rs-80 neck, and i 've meshed those with great results.
i never realized how much of an increase in air and water putting the pump on it's side and eliminating the pump outlet elbows would make, but it drastically changes the power of the octo 2000 pump on the ps-150 int.
i dare say the design is so much better than the last one, that it almost doesnt need to be modded to perform worth a damn, as the results of running stock for 18hrs will attest. but you know i cant just leave it stock...that would be just stupid...lol
Old 12/27/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

koraltek....how do you adjust the water level in the skimmer....the output pipe doesnt look like it can be adjusted...

(yes ...i can post now)!!!
Old 12/27/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydragon
koraltek....how do you adjust the water level in the skimmer....the output pipe doesnt look like it can be adjusted...

(yes ...i can post now)!!!
you adjust it using this method:

edit... my mistake... i forgot it's the single pass version you're talking about... but most likely it's controlled with a riser tube...
Old 12/27/2007, 02:26 PM
pwn3d by skimzor

yup, riser tube...
one thing i noticed, the euroreef wedge outlet pictured above does fit the outlet of the skimmer, you would just have to cut it down some...
Old 12/28/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Taggin along here