Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Lumenarc Mini's ... How Many For My SPS Tank?

The tank measures 72'l x 24'd x 30"h and my current lighting system, a Hamilton retrofit with 3 x 250w MH and 4 x 96w PC bulbs, just doesn't provide enough light below the top 1/4 to 1/3 of the tank for real success with SPS.

In looking at the alternatives, I've pretty much settled on the idea of using 400w MH bulbs @ 20,000k in Lumenarc Mini reflectors, as the larger Lumenarch III's are just too big to be practical in my hood.

The question is, how many Mini's should I use? I can fit as many as 5 in there, but I'm not looking to spend $ just for the fun of spending it. Do I really need 5 or even 4, or would 3 be plenty?

Like I said, I don't have $ to waste buying lighting I don't need, but I also want to be sure I do it right the first time and don't have to mess with more modifications later just because I tried to get away "cheap" now ... if you can call buying 3 or more Lumenarc's being "cheap".

So, what's the general consensus ... how many would be the "right" number on a tank this size / deep?

Finally, I'll more than likely mount them to a piece of wood inside the hood that will allow me to raise and lower them as needed, so most of the time, they'll probably be ~6" off the water surface.

Let me know what you think.

This is an old photo from when the tank was first built. I've changed the reef and of course added lots of coral since then, but this gives you the idea as to what I'm working with.

Thanks!
Old 12/26/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

3 should cover it just fine
Old 12/26/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

I used four 250W mini's over my 225. I also had a 5" sandbed so I went with the 250's over the 400's to save on electricity.

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 12/26/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

I use 1 Lumenarc lll over my 70g. 36x19x24t with 400 Aquaconnect 14k. Has good coverage.
Going to the large lumenbrites over my 140. Using 400w radiums or Reeflux 12k. Haven't made up my mind yet. Still have some time before lights are needed.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

I would say 3 at lease but 4 would be better are you going to suplament with any VHO's or T-5s? I would not put a MH over a tank brace if you can help it. I would do 3 lumenarc mini's with 250 MH and 2-4 T-5s' to give you more control on the look of the tank. just my 2 cents btw awesome tank!
Old 12/26/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

here is 3 in a 84''L

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Where do you get them reflectors ?
Old 12/26/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

lumenarclighting.com
Old 12/26/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

i think three will do just fine as they seem to be good for up to about 2 feet a piece
Old 12/26/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Three is certainly more affordable than four....or five!! I figured five was total overkill, but it never hurts to get some opinions.

ycnibrc, what's the water depth on your sweet 84"L?

As for supplementing with other light sources, I have an Ice Cap VHO setup from the tank that preceeded this one that I plan to integrate...2 extra bulbs to round things out...I'll have to do some experimenting as to the color temps for the VHO.

Thanks for the feedback...keep it coming.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

the dimension is 84''L X 30''D X 24'' T starphire. I have 3 X T5 actinic and 3 lunar light. Thanks for your compliment I just recently transfer to this tank.

Old 12/26/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

depend on how high you stack your rock but I will go with 400w for 30''D since to me the more light the faster the corals will grow. I have 2 X 10K 400w reeflux and 1 X 12K 400w reeflux in the middle

Old 12/26/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Anthony.

While we're talking about the Mini's, I can't tell for sure from your pics, but it looks like yours don't have the ventilation kits on them.

Would you recommend using or not using the ventilation kits?

Right now I have fans that vent air from inside the hood out to my attached garage through the back wall of the cabinet. As I plan the upgrade to the Luminarc's, I'm thinking about buying the reflectors with the "a/c kit" and installing some 4" dryer duct in there so the fan can suck the air right through the fixtures...hopefully removing much of the heat before it even has a chance to escape the confines of the reflector.

Is it worth the effort or just overkill?
Old 12/26/2007, 11:31 PM
Premium Member

my canopy is open back and I have 4 100cfm fans install in the canopy 2 blow across and 2 venting out. I have no heat issue with my temp. I do have a chiller but it doesn't turn on that often. How high is your canopy?my canopy is 16'' tall and the back is open. I snap a picture for you.

Old 12/26/2007, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

here it is

Old 12/27/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the pictures ... you have a very well put together setup.

I have about 17.5" from the top of the canopy to the water, but mine is not open in the back ... solid wall. As it is, I need to improve my ventilation, so that's why I'm thinking I'll get the Mini's with the a/c vents built in and pull the air directly through each reflector. Since they're the heat source, it just makes sense to me to ventilate right through them ... probably leave a fan or two pulling the ambient air out of the hood as well.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Bump...

Anyone else have any thoughts here about how many Mini's to use or whether or not it's worth it to get the a/c venting systems on the reflectors?
Old 12/27/2007, 07:53 PM
Who's your daddy

i say 3 thats whats on my 210
Old 12/27/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

You might also consider the Lumenbrite Mini's. They concentrate more light into the tank. Check this thread out. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...2&goto=newpost
Old 12/27/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

The Lumenbright Mini's are also cool, but they're a bit larger than the Lumenarc's ... I'll have to do some more measuring and give it all more consideration.

Thanks.
Old 01/06/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I took the plunge and got 3 Lumenarc Mini's, along with 400W ballasts and 20,000K bulbs.

All I can say is "WOW!!!"

The tank is just so much brighter now and, with the Lumenarc reflectors, the coverage area is vastly improved. The stuff at the bottom of the tank now looks to be better illuminated than the stuff at the top was with my old lighting system...the upgrades have made that much of a difference.

And to quote my wife (not a big fish person), "WOW...it looks like the tanks you see in your magazines!!" Of course, her reaction when she sees the Visa bill won't likely be as positive, but that's a battle for another day.

Thanks to all the contributors...this has made a big difference in my tank!!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

FishDad2 I knew you were going to like them. When you get a chance post a picture so we can see the diffrence.
ycnibrc, quick question why did you put all your T-5s in the front of the MH and not split them with two in front of the MH and the other one behind the MH? Thanks.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

If I was smart I'd have taken a picture of the tank right before swapping the lights and then another using the same setting after the upgrade...that would have been interesting.

I'll snap a few and see if I can't get some good comparisons from my existing photo collection.