Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 08:29 PM
Ryan Steagall

Does the club have a par meter?

I seem to remember some talk about the club buying a PAR meter for members to use. Was this ever done?

If so, I need to test my lights above my 58gal tank on my single 250W MH. I never did buy an electronic ballast and it seems awefully dim for about a 9 month old bulb. I wonder if its the bulb or magnetic ballast that is making it seem this way.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

They did. I was in the waiting line for it but never heard anything else about it. Gary had it last I knew and they were talking about making a bracket to hang it at different depths.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:37 PM
Beer King

I was in line to Im sure somebodies got.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

I've got it. I'll bring it to the swap. We should probably restart the line
Old 01/09/2008, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Edit, Just saw where you posted. I did find the original list if you wanted to go by it. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&highlight=par
Old 01/09/2008, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

OK -- so it looks like it goes to DMBillies next, then to you, then wayne, then ...
Old 01/09/2008, 09:17 PM
Ryan Steagall

Nevermind.... jeez. The thing is almost a year old and no one's used it yet.

Since so many people NEED it, I vote the club buys 1-2 more.

Can I get a 2nd?!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't be against letting Ryan useing it first since he is having problems. I'm obviously not in a hurry or I would have spoken up.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:36 PM
Ryan Steagall

Thanks, but no worries. My eye's are probably telling me what I need to know. With or without a par meter... I still wouldn't know if it was the bulb or the ballast.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Wooglin had a recent post about magnetic ballasts and some maintenance you can do on them.

RE the meter, It's fine with me if you use it next.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:36 PM
Ryan Steagall

I'm glad my crying, *****ing, moaning, and groaning worked. :P Just kidding. I've got some equipment to install in Mt. Juliet as early as Friday or as late as next Monday/Tuesday. If it works out maybe we can have that lunch at Boscos or Blackstone one of those days that way I can get it back to whoever it needs to go to next at the swap?

I saw wooglin's post... but its kind of an expensive procedure considering electronic ballasts are $100 these days. I might need to jump in on that reefgeek order for this, but I hate to keep spending $ on something that HOPEFULLY will be replaced in the next month or so.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:39 PM
MTRC Treas

Ya I need new bulbs now anyway so go ahead and take my spot I want to get it when I get new bulbs and test the difference. I would say we do not need a second one since we never used this one we just need to set up a way too keep it rolling around.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:42 PM
Beer King

Quote:
Originally posted by rsteagall
I'm glad my crying, *****ing, moaning, and groaning worked. :P Just kidding. I've got some equipment to install in Mt. Juliet as early as Friday or as late as next Monday/Tuesday. If it works out maybe we can have that lunch at Boscos or Blackstone one of those days that way I can get it back to whoever it needs to go to next at the swap?
if your gonna be put this way we might as well to to the sports bar and chill. You can test the par on my lights since your being a whiny baby.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:42 PM
Ryan Steagall

Quote:
Originally posted by waynesworld
Ya I need new bulbs now anyway so go ahead and take my spot I want to get it when I get new bulbs and test the difference. I would say we do not need a second one since we never used this one we just need to set up a way too keep it rolling around.
We live close enough to each other that we could pass it back and forth over a day's time. Also... I was kidding about a second one. I was being an extremist.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Re: Does the club have a par meter?

Quote:
Originally posted by rsteagall
I seem to remember some talk about the club buying a PAR meter for members to use. Was this ever done?

If so, I need to test my lights above my 58gal tank on my single 250W MH. I never did buy an electronic ballast and it seems awefully dim for about a 9 month old bulb. I wonder if its the bulb or magnetic ballast that is making it seem this way.
I've got two 250 watt HQI over my 50 gallon and with only one on, it looks dim, with both on, its really bright! Magnetic ballasts too. On your 58 you could easily do two pendants!