Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

random fish aggression

I only have 3 fish (yellow watchman goby, false perc. clown, royal gramma) in my 29g about 2 months ago I redid the rockwork and changed the sandbed, everything looks good. However, after the first month my ywg has lost color and the blue is more noticable and he's losing his yellow its much more pale almost greyish. I've had him for about 1 1/2 yrs now and he's never looked like this. Also the clown has decided to bully the royal gramma for the first time ever to the point he just hides in a hole all day now. They've been tank mates for at least 8 months and never even really interacted let alone fight.

Any idea what might be causing this? They were fine for the first month with the new rockwork so I dont think its the territory change, besides they both just kinda roamed the tank before anyway. Also, my feeding schedule hasn't changed. Is it possible they were eating a lot of pods before and the population isnt there to sustain them now since they only get prepared food? Im thinking this diet change may have caused the loss of coloration and maybe the clown is just hungry and taking out his aggression on the gramma?? Just a guess..
Old 02/28/2007, 03:05 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Fish have a hard time being territorial if their territory is/has moved. I'll bet if you rearrange again, harmony will return (for a while at least).

Not sure about your goby, but I wonder if the color change might be a natural occurrence with aging.
Old 02/28/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

yeah, i was considering that but i don't get why they were together for so long and never had an issue. now as soon as the gramma starts to come out of a hole the clown comes is all over him.

Yeah i was also considering that, maybe he's just getting old.