Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Build help, please

I am in the very early stages of a build. Would you look at my set-up and offer advice.

Tank; 36x24x24 Glass cages rimless with external overflow
starphire front panel.

Lighting; ???? I would like it to suspend above the tank, if money was not a concern I would like 2-250 w/4-39w T-5's but I am afraid that will be out of my price range.

Skimmer; I am leaning towards a DAS ex1 but may try the new Octo extreme 160.

Sump; I am unsure about this, I do not want to spend much money here and have no experience with building one. I may just throw a 29 gal. tank under it and put a skimmer in it?

Water movement; I have two Koralia 2's that are in my tank now I may add a couple of 3's or 4's in the other corners?

Return pump; Ehiem 1260

Topoff; ????

What else will I need? Keep in mind this is a low budget build ( well as low budget as reef keeping can be.) This being my first all out build I want to keep it simple with the option of expanding but some things have to be done right to begin with. For example I can always add a better skimmer or sump but the design of the overflow is forever. Thanks for your advice.

Old 12/05/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Some recommendations:

Tank: Get at least a 4ft tank if you can fit it. It'll give your fish some back and forth room.

Lighting: If you go rimless with the tank, DIY some hanging pendants otherwise if you get a normal tank its easy enough to build a canopy.

Skimmer: Up to you...remember whatever you get it still only makes bubbles

Sump: 29g would work, just partition it with baffles and you could put a refug in it also...check out Melev's web site for ideas

Return pump: You can get an Ehiem, but Mags work just as well and its cheaper so you can get some lights

Topoff: DIY a kalk reactor and find an autotopoff system for it. Theres alot of info in the equipment/DIY forum. We bought ours and got a peristalic pump to feed it, its one of our better investments as i HATE hair algae.

Just some random ideas