Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2002, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

captive raised bimacs for sale

FFexpress has captive raised bimacs for sale I found out today. They are listed on their collectors corner. So you now have a chance to buy a nice young bimac of your very own. I would guess supplies are limited so hurry!
chris
Old 07/25/2002, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Ordered mine earler today will let you all know how it works out

But Honey it won't be that expensive of a hobby!!!
Old 07/25/2002, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Talking Our little boogers.....

Hi folks-
On behalf of all of us at FFE, I'd like to let you know that we have a healthy supply of these marvelous little guys available. They have been aquacultured by a local company with the facilities to handle volume. So..... if any of you ceph-heads are interested in order pooling.............. we'll take care of ya!

Mustang-
You WILL love these guys, they are eating like pigs. Unfortunately, we don't have enough aquacultured mussels to sell, but they will destroy hermits, ghost shrimp, krill, small rock crabs, pistol shrimp, etc..... the one I took home will eat ANYTHING I offer! Just awesome!

Take care-

Jerrold
FFX Livestock Mgr.
Old 07/25/2002, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Hi Jerrold
I talked to Ron today about these guys. Maybe you can answer some questions for me he couldn't.
Is the supplier breeding the bimacs or is he selling a batch of hatchlings from a wild gravid female that he had lay eggs in his tank? I know how tuff eggs can be to come across, it is a seasonal thing. Will this be a continuous supply or a one time deal?
thanks
chris
Old 07/25/2002, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Hi Chris-
Just spoke to my supplier, and he told me that they are breeding them on-site. He is expecting a new batch to be ready within two months, though currently we have 120 available to us. When these are gone, we won't have them again till mid to late September.

Jerrold
800-239-7121
Old 07/25/2002, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

The timing could not have been any better. My five week summer program is over this sunday and then Ill be back at home. How old are the bimacs right now? I would love to get one. We have so many New Hampshireites here, is anyone else interested in placing an order to save on shipping?

pat

current tank: www.rpi.edu/~marioj/galleries/tank
octopus tank: http://www.rpi.edu/~marioj/octopus
Old 07/25/2002, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Pat-
These gems are approx. 6 weeks to 2 months old and are approx. 2-2.5 inches from arm tip to arm tip. You should consider signing up for our Order Pool Co-ordinator program. Check it out here: http://www.ffexpress.com/pool.htm

Check this guy out-
800-239-7121
Old 07/25/2002, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

The O.mercatoris I hatched from egg is 2.5 months old and the mantle is only the size of a raisen lol.
Old 07/25/2002, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Well those mercs are tiny little guys. How much has he been eating, and what has he been eating?

pat

Old 07/26/2002, 05:34 AM
www.tonmo.com

Angry

you lucky, lucky, lucky bimac keeping........

That does it!!! Anyone want to consolidate to the UK???

On another note, that is probably the best way to go about keeping octopuses, we should all be encouraging this captive breeding programme.
Old 07/26/2002, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

Well he is here! all looks well. Tha whole shipment came in great I will talk more Later Got to get to worK LOL
Here is a pic that is a 2 liter bottle cap for size ref

Old 07/26/2002, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Looks great. I agree, colin, this is a great program and we should all encourage it. I will feel so much better owning an octopus that is not wild caught. How long do you thing it will take for him to grow from bottle cap size to adult size? Looks like he has a full life ahead of him. Good luck with him mustang!

pat

Old 07/26/2002, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Congrats Ken! This little guy should live a lot longer than you last one. You will love this guy. Bimacs are the best!Did you discover eggs from your last octo? Andy sent me some pics today of his eggs. Looks like a small eggs species, but what species ? there is no way of telling.
Pat the little Merc is still on amphipods. Big pods though. I have gone to the ocean to catch them a few times and they are working well. He will Take small ghost shrimp too. The little guy still will not eat anything, but alive.
It will be intersting to find out if ffexpress has been able to ween any onto non live food yet. Ken, let us know what you can feed yours. I think this forum has really come alive over the last year. Now that captive raised bimacs are here I think there we will be some great stories from all the new owners being posted soon. Share your stories!
Now all we have to do find a way to ship Colin a bunch!
Old 07/26/2002, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Chris, I never found the eggs I took the rock out the next day
and the hole were the octo lived had the serpent star in it.
Would the star eat the eggs.? The whole rock seems hollow and without breaking it apart I really can't tell I took a flashlight and looked with no luck. Though I have to admit I was looking for the larger eggs not the small ones

This little guy that I just got is cool he already grabbed my finger during acclimation. I suspect that with him being captive raise he will be allot more used to people

He seemed to be out quite a bit after I put him in the tank
he is in a 55g all to himself. So he looks like a spec in there LOL
I grabbed a ghost shrimp and held it by him he felt it but did take it so I let it go by him and it seems to have disappeared so hopefully he ate it

I know this will be a better deal than the last one

I also can tell this one is a bimac as I got close he colored up and you could see the Blue eye spots

As far as FFexpress goes they get an A in my book I order a few other things and the packaging was incredible I seriously had a 2’ pile of plastic bags as I undid everything I think the acroporas had like 5-6 bags each. The octo they actually shipped in a hard plastic container inside a huge bag

Thanks everyone at FFexpress

BTW Chris Andy’s is still alive maybe he could put in it alcohol and send it to you after it dies just for Identification purpose? Just an idea

Last edited by Mustang; 07/26/2002 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07/29/2002, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

I received one of the FFE little guys on Saturday. Very cool, very healthy, and very active. He was eating immediately, and after taking about a day to acclimate to his new tank is now actually telling me when he wants to be fed by flashing me up on of the wall of the tank. He watched me place a hermit about 8 inches away from him and before my hand was out of the tank he launched himself into a ballistic drop on it. I highly recommend these guys for anyone that wants to keep an octopus.
-Michael
Old 07/30/2002, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Hey all-
Thanks for the kudos! Makes this business worth it. Mustang, Michael- glad to hear these guys are doing so well for you. To date, we haven't had any luck getting them to eat anything other than live food, though I'm fairly confident it could be done.
Ceph- I've learned a lot by reading yours and OctoMonkeys posts here. Keep up the great service you provide for everyone here!
We have more pusses comin in tonite, will be able to ship on Thurs.
800-239-7121
Old 07/30/2002, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Jerball!

Hey do you guys guarantee live delivery on the bimac? Our other octopus vender has been excellent at replacing octos that have had trouble in shipping and even a 5 day arrive alive stay alive guarantee!
I had a few people ask me if ffexpress will do the same? Bimacs are excellent shippers and I have heard young ones have been shipped in a tea spoon of water! Not that I am recommending that lol. I have orded mantis shrimp from ff express and I will say that you do a excellent job packing and shipping so I don't think it would even be a problem, but curious minds want to know.
Thanks
Chris
Old 07/31/2002, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Wink Hey Cephalopoder

Rumor has it that our friends here at RC get special privileges.

So 5 day arrive alive will be provided on the bimacs for all our friends here at RC. Should somebody suffer a loss please contact either Jerrold or I and we will be happy to assist you.

For those of you not familiar with our policy you may refer to it here;

http://www.ffexpress.com/policies.htm

Keep in mind we are all hobyists here, So consider the rules "Flexible".

Thanks

Ron

www.ffexpress.com
Old 07/31/2002, 12:43 PM
www.tonmo.com

LOL..... and much, much, much more to the point...... whats the chances of shipping to Scotland??????

Actually i just got myself a new job at a tropical fish importers over here. The biggest in Scotland (about 800 tanks). They mostly do freshwater with the odd marine but guess what my plans are?

Imagine someone letting me loose with an importers list which has cephs on it? OMG! I wouldn't have!
So, all i need to do now is figure out what a "brown" or "common" or "plain" or "normal" or "small" or "striped" Octopus is?????????????? Oh well, one of each please! A ceph lucky dip!

C
Old 07/31/2002, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Great! Thanks disco. After reaging the link you sent me, I read the part about threatend species. I thought it would be good for you and the rest of the ffexpress people to read a article here about a species of octopus that we are very worried about in the ceph world. Maybe you can help by having your importers stop importing these species till more is known about them.
thanks
chris
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/mimic.html

Colin, rock on dude. Make sure you take pics of every species and record if the same ones come in under the same names all the time.
chris
Old 07/31/2002, 01:38 PM
www.tonmo.com

Yeah, dont be worried about that!

Kiddy in a candy store here

C
Old 07/31/2002, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Hi everyone!

Well, I have been lurking here for a couple of months and now I finally have something to post about. Hello to everyone, nice to meet all of you. I just ordered one of these octos at ffexpress yesterday and I thought I'd swing in here and let everyone know about them but there is already a full blown thread. I just wanted to share how excited I am! Like a kid waiting for christmas. Mine won't be here till thurs. the 8th (my next day off) and I think I'm gonna burst. Oh well, it'll give me time to get everything ready. I had never seen cb octos before so of course I jumped on it, without even having a tank. no worries, i got one and will set it up with water, lr, and filter from my established reef and seahorse tanks so cycling won't be a problem. EEEK! CAN"T WAIT! They look so adoreable!
laura
Old 07/31/2002, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Hi Laura-
Hope that e-mail nudged you to it....
As per Mr. Disco, we will honour the 5 day guarantee, but the way these dudes are doin', unlikely that will be necessary

OctoMonkey-
Sorely wish I could send some your way, but customs would be a nightmare......meantime, these nice folks can post LOTS of pictures for ya.....

Have a nice day, all-
800-239-7121
Old 07/31/2002, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Jerrold,
Hi, yeah it sure did, though I must admit that it wouldn't have taken much cause I've wanted to start an octopus aquarium for months (maybe even years). I just needed a reason like CB bimacs to make me finally take the plunge. I was a bit nervous but your email definitely helped, thanks. By the way, it was kinda cool seeing you here. Tomorrow I will try to find some live food locally. All I have right now is red shrimp for my seahorses. I'd like to get plenty for when the little cutey gets here. Don't want to speak too soon but it shouldn't be to difficult, I know I can at LEAST find some hermits and snails.
laura
PS.....that is way cool of you to honor the 5 day guarantee thing, thank you so much, but hopefully all will be fine.
Old 08/04/2002, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

O man what an offer nice little small octos. I hope they still have them when i get my tank set up. I have heard only good things about FFE and they sound like the best place to get stuff online.