Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2007, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Need help with Pump type.

I need a pump that will provide enough pressure to make it from my basement up a floor to my tank. I have already used 2 pumps. A reeflo snapper then a Dart. Both are moving the water with little pressure out of the returns but work. It is about 12ft up and 15 ft in length piping. I have 3/4 PVC run with about 4 elbows. I also have a T bypass back to the sump to regulate flow if too much. Also I want 2 wavy sea heads in the corners and want enough water pressure. With that said.
What pump do you recommend? I looked at the iwaki which is good but does it use too much power? What is another quiet high pressure pump that would be good? Also I was considiring replumbing the whole thing with 1 inch flex pvc. What should I do? I am losing it........ artghhghgeh lol.
Old 03/19/2007, 09:35 PM
RC Mod

With that diameter of pvc for your return you will need to use a pressure pump like an Iwaki or Blueline. If you change your return to 1 1/2", you can use a flow pump like the Sequence Hammerhead. I prefer the flow pump because you can cut back the flow if it's too much.
Old 03/19/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

How do you cut it back? The Dart says adjustable flow as well. Does it do it on it's own? If I dont change the piping what do you think of the Sequence tarpon or the Gen X? Is the Blue Line a better pump then the sequence and Gen X?

Also My return is 1 inch not 3/4. the feed is 3/4

Last edited by ppht; 03/19/2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03/19/2007, 10:31 PM
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cward
With that diameter of pvc for your return you will need to use a pressure pump like an Iwaki or Blueline. If you change your return to 1 1/2", you can use a flow pump like the Sequence Hammerhead. I prefer the flow pump because you can cut back the flow if it's too much.
Head loss is measured primarily in feet in height and friction created by bends and unions. Even though the velocity of the water moves slower in a larger diameter of pipe, it pushes approximately the same amount of water through. If you narrow the tube you will have more pressure coming out of the end but it would be the same amount from a wider tube.

Think of it as a nozzle at the end of a hose. When you squeeze the handle you get a very high pressure jet of water. If you take the nozzle off the water comes out much slower but in a larger column of water, thus the same amount. You don't need a narrower pipe to deliver the water, you just need a narrower jet in the tank, to create some pressure. But all of that only applies if that is the problem. If the size of the pipe isn't the problem, then I would start looking for a different pump.
Old 03/20/2007, 08:11 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by ppht
How do you cut it back? The Dart says adjustable flow as well. Does it do it on it's own? If I dont change the piping what do you think of the Sequence tarpon or the Gen X? Is the Blue Line a better pump then the sequence and Gen X?

Also My return is 1 inch not 3/4. the feed is 3/4

The flow can be reduced/adjusted by adding a ball valve to your plumbing at the output. The Blueline is a pressure pump like the Iwaki, but a little less expensive.
The Sequence pump is a flow pump, which means you can reduce the output without hurting the pump.
Old 03/20/2007, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Ahh Thanks