Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2004, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

I don't know, but it probably wouldnt help anything.
Old 04/30/2004, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

I left mine on. I just removed all mechanical equipment, like fluidized reactor, and a power filter with carbon from my refug. Also removed my carbon from the sump and all filters. Then I dosed and the tank ran as normal.I let some of the treated water go thru my skimmer then shut skimmer down. The tank ran as normal. Afterwards I'd clean my skimmer with lots of fresh water. I'm redbug free. Its been at least a couple months now and I did treat as Dustin recommended 3 times. I can't believe the difference in how much better my sps look, they were not happy campers with those redbugs on them.
Old 05/02/2004, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Just wanted to let everyone know I got the Interceptor that I ordered from www.hoofandhound.com today. Ordered late Monday night (10:00pm) and it arrived today, being shipped from Australia! Now thats fast delivery! So if anyone was thinking about ordering from them they seem to be pretty fast.

Making up some water tonight to do my first treatment tomorrow...
Old 05/05/2004, 09:05 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Just keeping this up near the top.
Old 05/06/2004, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

I'm doing my second dose tomorrow. So far so good. No bugs in sight. I know you've heard it a bunch of times but thanks again Dustin for taking the time and effort to come up with this great treatment. I won't put anything else in my tank without a pretreatment.
Old 05/06/2004, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Today is my third and last treatment everything look so good .
Thanks Dustin.
Old 05/07/2004, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Just curious what everyone is doing for new corals. I was planning on treating on arrival for the full 6 hours then keeping the frags in my refuge (off line) and do the next two treatments, followed by the requiste water changes and carbon. Are the three treatments necessary for frags?
Old 05/07/2004, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

I set up a 20G tank for Quarantine all SPS for a month i will do the three treatments, i think is necessary so i can keep all bugs out of my tank.
I'm exhausted from doing water changes, I did 245 Gallons of water changes in three weeks.
I don't have any more room in my tank so i'm good for a month
Old 05/08/2004, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Sea Chem SPS Iodine Dips has worked great for me at double the dosage and for about 15 - 20 min.

My Interceptor update: I have already treated twice and will do my 3rd this Sunday. As reported by many.... it kills the Red Bugs and SPS Polyp extension is much better only hours after first treatment. I did remove most of my hermits and those I didn't find died. The good news is I was unable to catch my Cleaner, Fire, and Peppermint Shrimp and all have lived through 2 treatments so far. I also noticed a small slim algae out break for a few days but quickly cleared up. I have only changed about 10% water volume after each treatment and added new carbon.

All I can say is UNBELIEVIBLE... Interceptor kills the Red Bugs and harmed nothing else (well a few Hermits) I haven't seen any Mysis Shrimp since first treatment but I have seen many other type of Copepods in sump and Refugium after treatments.

BUG FREE.... Thanks Dustin.

If you are waiting to kill your Red Bugs, stop waiting and get some Interceptor!
Old 05/08/2004, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

I believe that it was stated earlier that iodine has no/little effect on red bugs.
Old 05/08/2004, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nezw0001
I believe that it was stated earlier that iodine has no/little effect on red bugs.
I found it had very good results, just not 100%. I dipped a colony and had over a hundred dead bugs within 10 minutes, but some did remain on the colony after placing it back in the tank.
In light of that, I will use interceptor to soak any new additions to my tank.
Old 05/08/2004, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

I also set up a 20 qt gallon tank. I had the extra from my pills cut to treat the 20. I'm going to place frags or colonies in there and observe for a month. If I see bugs I will treat. I do not want to treat if I don't don't to.

One more treatment to go. THANKS DUSTIN!
Old 05/09/2004, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

I just completed my 1st dose last night. Kind of a bittersweet victory because I did lose 2 emerald crabs, my cute little acro crabs and several hermits. But the change in the corals really was amazing. I saw these posts about people seeing polyp extension they hadn't seen and sure enough, in about the 4th hour my blue tort had full polyp extension - something I hadn't seen in a few months.

I think the whole measuring out the correct amount is kind of a hit/miss deal - my tank is 240 gallons with a 40 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium. Trying to calculate gallons is all but impossible. If I have a refugium with a 6 inch sand bed of various density, how many gallons of water are in there? Not to mention trying to calculate for amount of displacement for live rock really makes it a crap shoot.

Overall I am extremely happy. It seemed almost too easy. Another big thanks to Dustin. Now will you work on a bubble algae miracle cure for me?

If there is anybody having difficulty getting this product please PM me (

) my vet gave me two boxes...
Old 05/10/2004, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Did my first treatment yesterday, snapped this photo about 3 hours into it.

Old 05/10/2004, 09:14 AM
Force of Nature

I performed my second treatment exactly 2 weeks after my first one. I know Dustin's directions said to perform 3 treatments a week apart. But because of travel, I was unable last weekend. Doesn't anyone think there will be any issue?? Will I have to perform 2 more treatments??

TIA,
Typhon
Old 05/10/2004, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

there are Canadian mail order companies that will ship the medication without a prescription
Old 05/11/2004, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I don't know if any of you is in Orange County area, and know a vet that I can bug about for the prescription... please PM me if you know a pushover... thanx.
Old 05/11/2004, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Nice macro shot Mark!
Old 05/11/2004, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chewie
Nice macro shot Mark!
Thanks Chewie,

I took several Macro shots in 1 hour intervals into the first treatment. If anyone wants to see them let me know.

Mark
Old 05/11/2004, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Well, what are you waiting for?
Old 05/11/2004, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chewie
Well, what are you waiting for?
LOL I will do it tonight when I get home.
Old 05/12/2004, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Now that my tank is bug free, I don't want to ever see them again.

There are a few posts and comments in this thread about dipping, preventive measures. But should we start a new separate thread to discuss it?
Old 05/12/2004, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I had an interesting thing happen on my second dose this weekend that I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed. Going into the 3rd hour something came up and I had to leave for some time. By the time I got home it was like hour 10 and I didn't have time to do the water change and add carbon so I just turned the skimmer back on; I hate it when work gets in the way of my hobby. The next morning when I did the water change I noticed that there was an oil slick on top of the water and my hand/arm was oily after putting it into the water. Since doing the water change and adding carbon it has gone away. Everything looks fine I just wasn't expecting the oil slick. I know there are others out there that weren't able to do the water change and carbon immediately and was wondering if you saw the same thing.
Old 05/12/2004, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

I didn't notice an oil slick and I also couldn't get my water change done with my 3rd treatment till the next day. I did get new carbon in and skimmers back on after 6 hours. What I did notice is I added some hermit crabs the next day when I did my water change and the following day the hermits where died, or acting and not in there shells. Interceptor must stay in the water for awhile after new carbon and skimmers. With water changes of 20%, 80% of the water still had some Interceptor in it. After 3 treatments none of my Cleaner, Fire, or Peppermint Shrimp died, but crabs where goners.

I did notice small slim algae out breaks on the sand a few days after each treatment but always clear right up.

It is amazing that Interceptor kills these red bugs, some crabs, and nothing else in the tank is affected, nothing.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

I just did my 20g nano-reef 3 days ago with amazingly positive results lost 2-4 hermits but that was it and polyps that were closed before are no open all the way
i am so happy that it really worked so well