Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2004, 04:10 AM
amnesiac

Quote:
Originally posted by Acro
Those who have treated three times please take the time to inspect with magnifine glass and let us know what you find.
Two weeks after the 3rd treatment - no bugs with or without magnifying glass..
I had 2 or 3 that were quite infested, too.
Old 04/24/2004, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

Just scored two pills from the local vet. Took Dustin's instructions with me NO PROBLEM. Matter of fact the girl up front just started a 90 gallon reef so we shared a bit of friendly conversation.
Next stop was the pharmacist. That was a different story. Stand firm people. Either this guy had an atitude or he was making sure I knew what the heck I was talking about. First he told me that each pill was only 23mg to which I replied that that is the amount of active ingedient in each pill and that the total weight of the pill is slightly less the 1 gram. He says I should dissolve the pill in water and administer it by thirds. I told him it loses activity when mixed and stored. He says refrigerate it. I told him that would not work and that I need it weighed. He then asked if I wanted the pill broken into thirds. I told him again I needed it weighed into 3- 350 portions to treat my system. He comes back with the pill is only 960mg. I have a second pill. ha! He cuts it into 5-350 portions, and tells me to have a nice day. NO CHARGE. Total time invested from home to back home 30 minutes and $16.04 for the two pills. The point is don't be afraid to go to the vet and treat your tank!
I'll let you know how my tratment goes.
Gerald
Old 04/27/2004, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

For all of you that have been unable to get the Interceptor from your vet, here is a website I found last night that you can order from without a prescription. The company is in Australia. I ordered last night, and received confirmation this morning that it has been shipped. Total was $33.30 for the 6 pills plus $5.18 shipping = $38.48. The website is: www.hoofandhound.com

Hope this helps!
Old 04/27/2004, 10:28 AM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmaiden
For all of you that have been unable to get the Interceptor from your vet, here is a website I found last night that you can order from without a prescription. The company is in Australia. I ordered last night, and received confirmation this morning that it has been shipped. Total was $33.30 for the 6 pills plus $5.18 shipping = $38.48. The website is: www.hoofandhound.com

Hope this helps!
Interesting that when I ordered from Canada Pharmacy the Interceptor shipped from Australia. It took a while for it to arrive here in Boston....
Old 04/27/2004, 10:40 AM
Reefer

I should mention that the med worked like a charm. The only unexpected adversity was a Montipora colony bleached a bit. But I can't rule out that the cause was something other than the med itself. (It could've been caused by the large water exchanges.) Anyway, the coral is recovering fine and the red bugs along with various other arthropods are dead as a door nail! Mythrax crabs survived but some small peppermint shrimp, some hermit crabs, many amphipods, mysid shrimp and most if not all acro dwelling crabs perished.

Thanks to Dustin of ORA for sharing the treatment and for providing us reefers with the fine corals he propagates.
Old 04/27/2004, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Ordering is great and all, but for a person with a smaller tank isn't it kind of a waste? Of course I was chaged $8.02 per pill vs $6.41, but I didn't have to wait and I won't have it sitting around on the shelf. I can walk to my vet too so maybe I'm in a different boat when it comes to avalability.
My point is that each pill treats 380 gallons 1x which is enough to treat a 126 gallon total volume the prescribed 3x. Ordering a full pack of six pills (treats 760 gallons 3x) is a waste of money if you have a 55. I setup a 20 gallon QT for all future aquisitions and had my extra weighed out to treat it.
I just think that is something to consider. Money isn't the issue. I'd just rather have it to buy more CORALS!!
Old 04/27/2004, 12:36 PM
Reefer

good point! That's why it's a good idea to check with a local vet. If you are persistant you will find one willing to work with you and you could perhaps purchase only what is needed. OTOH, I'm glad I have extra just in case of reintroduction.
Old 04/27/2004, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

2.5 weeks after the first treatment, I found 3 baby bugs on 1 acro. This frag was most affected by the bugs and had alot of them pre-treatment. This frag is kind of far from the front glass, but I noticed three little buggers cruzin around on it.

As soon as I pick up another bucket of salt I will treat again.
Old 04/27/2004, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

There seems to be a pattern here. People who treated 3 times have yet to report still having bugs in their tanks. 3 treatments is the _bare minimum_
Old 04/27/2004, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I treated three times. And thats been over a month ago. Proud to say I haven't seen any redbugs. SPS have colored back up and growing. Thanks to you Dustin. I would recommend doing the three treatments as Dustin suggested. Its a pain, but it more of a pain to watch your beautiful sps fade and stop growing because of those pesky redbugs.
Old 04/27/2004, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

I'm planning on my first dose this weekend. I was able to convince work that we needed a more accurate scale for mixing 2 part epoxy so I'll be set on getting the dose right. I'm getting ready to setup a new tank so I want to get rid of the bugs before moving anything over. I'm hoping to only go through this once.
Old 04/28/2004, 08:56 AM
RC Mod

I did my first treatment last night and I plan on doing three to five more in seven day increments. I did notice that my most infested colonys are free from the red bugs. You could actually see them falling off the corals and floating in the water column along with the dead pods.

Thanks for the info Dustin.
Old 04/29/2004, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

BUGS-B-GONE!!

First treatment 04-26-04
I dropped the the nuke Monday, and as of yesterdays inspection all bugs are gone. Of course that is nothing new to this thread, but it is to me and I want to thank Dustin very much. THANKS!! BTW Monday before I did my treatment the bugs seemed like they had decreased in numbers or gone into hiding. Someone must have tipped them off. lol

I observed the following
1)All fish snails, urchins etc. could care less about the treartment.

2) Most acros are extending polyps better. Several that were doing poorly still don't look great, but I do have hope for them.

3) Slight cyano outbreak. I have not had cyano in a very very long time. It's only a couple small patches.

I have not seem my CB shrimp since Teusday AM ten hours after treatment. He was my oldest tenant. Been there since I cycled. If he is gone he will be missed. I could not get him out.

I know better than to do this, but I did not do a water change or run carbon. I will do both after the second treatment.
Old 04/29/2004, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

I am going to treat for the third and last time this upcoming weekend.

How much time after that I can safely introduce shrimps to the tank? I'd like to replace my lost cleaner shrimp.

Thank you for all the efforts from everyone involved in this research.
Old 04/29/2004, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

If you change out at least 25% of the water, and use a good amount of carbon it should be ready in a day. You can wait longer just to be safe though.
Old 04/29/2004, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Just curious if anyone has tried to use Flatworm Exit with the Interceptor to take care of two problems at once.

Mark
Old 04/29/2004, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

I believe I read earlier in the thread that you can add shrimp after the third dose as long as you do the water changes. My plan is to do a water change after each dose and then another a week after the 3rd dose. Then I plan to add a pair of shrimp.
Old 04/30/2004, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I've read all the threads here and on Reefs.org and haven't found this mentioned: I know when you do the treatment you are supposed to remove all mechanical filtration, etc. - but I haven't seen anyone mention their calcium reactor. I would assume you would need to leave it running so that that water is treated as well, but wasn't sure if the Interceptor would effect the reactor media?
Old 04/30/2004, 06:32 AM
RC Mod

You need to leave your reactor on so the water inside gets treated. The media will be fine.
Old 04/30/2004, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

I'm curious as well. I just filled mine so I don't really want to tear it down.
Old 04/30/2004, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Leave the CO2 running as well?
Old 04/30/2004, 06:46 AM
RC Mod

Yes, the Co2 running won't hurt a thing.
Old 04/30/2004, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

The water inside your reactor should be treated. Turning the co2 off is up to you, it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to do it.
Old 04/30/2004, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, I just wasn't sure if the treatment would be absorbed by the reactor media or effect it in any way.

Just waiting for the pills to come to start the first treatment!
Old 04/30/2004, 11:30 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin
The water inside your reactor should be treated. Turning the co2 off is up to you, it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to do it.
What harm could it do leaving the Co2 on?