Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/19/2004, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Did you run carbon and do a 25% water change after? Most of the medication should be gone if you did. In my inital trials, amphipods that were added to a test tank 24hrs after the carbon and waterchange were unharmed.
Old 04/19/2004, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Hello all,
I just completed the third and final treatment yesterday. I am truly amazed at the difference in all my sps. I didn't realize how much the corals had been affected by the bugs. I tend to tink that the bugs were on most of the coals, just not visible to us.
I have a couple of corals that had all but died with these little demons and now they are actuall beginning to get their color back! I am truly grateful for the treatment. I think the loss of crustacian and pods is a worthwhile tradeoff for getting back my corals. Thank you so much Dustin!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Mike Jagneaux
Old 04/19/2004, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin
Did you run carbon and do a 25% water change after? Most of the medication should be gone if you did. In my inital trials, amphipods that were added to a test tank 24hrs after the carbon and waterchange were unharmed.
Yes i did.
It just may be just the ones that they are dead already and just floating around.
But the tank looks so much better , I will do it again in ten days. You think i need to do three treatments ?
I set up a quarantine tank for my new SPS do I need to do the treatment three times to ?
Old 04/19/2004, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

I would treat your tank 3 times. We just don't know enough about their life cycle yet.

The quarantine situation is up to you. I personally will treat any incoming corals 3 times or more over a period of 2 months. This isn't practical for most hobbyists though.
Old 04/19/2004, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Just an update. I treated just once about a month or so ago and no bugs since. I had tons of them for a while but no signs since. I did not want to treat my tank over and over with those chemicals if I absolutely did not have too. So far so good. Danny
Old 04/19/2004, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin
I would treat your tank 3 times. We just don't know enough about their life cycle yet.

The quarantine situation is up to you. I personally will treat any incoming corals 3 times or more over a period of 2 months. This isn't practical for most hobbyists though.
Well I have to do it correct I don't like to treat my main tank all of the time so I will put some LR and 175W mh over my 20G Quarantine tank i know isn't practical but need to be done.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HARD WORK.
Old 04/19/2004, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

PS, that is awful nice of you Dustin to treat all the incoming corals before ORA sends them out.
Old 04/19/2004, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by headhawg7
Just an update. I treated just once about a month or so ago and no bugs since. I had tons of them for a while but no signs since. I did not want to treat my tank over and over with those chemicals if I absolutely did not have too. So far so good. Danny
Well good but I'm going to do it more than once to just be sure.
Did you check you SPS with a Magnifier for red bug after a month ??
Old 04/19/2004, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Yes sir e bob. By no means was I trying to convince anybody to treat just once. Just mentioning I did and it worked for me. It is an update on this "experiment" and results of different testing by different users on different systems. I am definitely not going to do it again unless absolutely necessary. I am not taking a chance of wiping every pod and crustacean in my well established tank for the sake of "just in case I do not get all of them". Like I said, this is not advice, just my results. Take that for what ever its worth. Danny
Old 04/20/2004, 04:56 PM
Moved On

do you guys know of a place i can buy this med from? they dont sell it at canadapharmacy.com anymore. and all the other places i've tryed need a prescription. thanks.
willie
Old 04/20/2004, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Try a couple more vets. I live in a small town and I think there are nearly 20 vets. I can't imagine how many there are in San Francisco.
Old 04/21/2004, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

I also chose to treat just once, and after about a month, I found 3 red bugs today. I commenced the treatment again and will folow thru with all three threatments this time.
Old 04/21/2004, 08:00 PM

6 wks for me and no bugs.

Im taking a risk this weekend as I am getting 3 new corals and some ricordias all from the wild. This could spark things back up again. Hopefully it wont.
Old 04/21/2004, 08:53 PM
It's all about colors!

I did the treatment on Monday. My cleaner shrimp survived and even some of my hermits. No sign of bugs, and my acros are doing great.

Tom Berry
Old 04/23/2004, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Just thought I'd let you all know 2 treatments aren't enough. I just found a couple bugs on one of my acro's. The only reason I didn't treat for the 3rd time was I found the large water changes every week were a little hard on some corals. I'm now wondering if the folks that have treated 3 times are for sure red bug free. Those who have treated three times please take the time to inspect with magnifine glass and let us know what you find.

FWIW I havn't added anything new to the tank.
Old 04/23/2004, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Whoa this thread detached! Someone get the super glue!
Old 04/23/2004, 02:50 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by Acro
The only reason I didn't treat for the 3rd time was I found the large water changes every week were a little hard on some corals. .
shouldn't w/c's actually perk up the corals?

i assume you are using asw, if so, what brand?
Old 04/23/2004, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Those who have treated three times please take the time to inspect with magnifine glass and let us know what you find.
I completed the first treatment on Jan 25 and followed with two additional treatements 7 days apart. I check weekly using a jewelers loop for presence of the bugs. So far I cannot find any sign of their reinvestation.

I will continue to check for a long time. I do NOT wnat them to return.

Paul
Old 04/23/2004, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Wilafir, I did a 40+gal water change on a 120 with a mag 18 which probably I shouldn't have done. I don't normally use such a large pump when changing water. I didn't lose anything I just noticed some slight bleaching of a few Montipora's. Anyways for the most part this becomes a completely different subject.

I'm really intrested to hear from those that have treated three times. After a good inspection of your corals can you for certain say your bug free? WE all know how hard they can be to spot. So spend a bit of time before coming to a real conclusion.

I know Dustin your probably shaking your head But with little info on the bugs as you have stated,. I think we all want to experiment abit. There really wasn't any hard proof at least to us that the 3rd treatment was needed. Perhaps now there is or perhaps............hmmmm

Ah what an intresting hobby !!
Old 04/23/2004, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

I am certain that I dont have anymore bugs. Lots of sets of eyes looking for them. Then again I treated 8 times in 4 weeks.

Keep treating until you dont see them anymore!
Old 04/23/2004, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Dustin, How long since you last treated?
Old 04/23/2004, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Id have to check my notes, which arent here. I want to say two months.
Old 04/23/2004, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

I treated two times (one dose per week) on successive weeks.
The first treatment eradicated all red mites on my sps corals.
I found no need for the third treatment.

I'd have to check, but it was at least a month ago, and to
date, I've seen no more mites on my acros.

mike
Old 04/23/2004, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

It could be a timing thing.. maybe the lifecycle is 2 weeks, and there's an incubation period? Who knows...
I have to say, Dustin's research was conducted according to established scientific methods... Can't beat that with a stick. If one was to persue the treatment, I'd do what the man says, and do the 3 runs of medication.

- Mac
Old 04/23/2004, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

I treated the tank 8 days a go. I checked my acros everyday, today I think I saw one red Bug I don't know for sure if it was one it looks like one but it did not move around the coral may be just something else . I'm going to do a second treatment next Wednesday.